Todays Wasteland Finds

Took last weak orf to help a friend with a formula one racing sidecar, alterations to the cockpit to improve his seating position and then, this weak, an engine rebuild. So i have not been at home much, hence little detecting activity. And now its clutch has let out all its smoke so we will rebuild that too.
No, t’was the engine that smoked, clutch was slipping, a bleed fixed that, now we just need to rebuild the engine again.
Second rebuild worked, engine, clutch and brakes now working nicely, a race was won.

1 Like

The usual canslaw and several cans, lids and teartabs, wire and screws n foils but some interesting and unusual stuff too
A belt, stainless steel giant hoseclip, junkmail letterbox sticker, what looks like a watch band clip, and an aluminium fence spikey finnial whatsit.
Also a 1991 $2 dollar coin which kept eluding me for some time. I must have dropped it out of my plug somehow.

1 Like

An unusual hunt, first time i have detected a playground and found no coins, costume jewellery or hairclips…
Just four cut off nails, a bottle top, and five ringpulls.
An aluminium cone that was part of a party favor or decoration, judging by its colour scheme. A blob of steel weld metal.
Surface finds, plastic pipe, welding rod HJ422, two nerf gun darts and duplo brick.

1 Like

Tonights finds
3 of 1 liter margerine containers of clay for making stuff. I found somewhere where the roadside had been dug up and it was lying there waiting to be picked up.

Luvly Stuff!

Stuff from the playground.
2 hair scrunchies
Aluminium and glass costume jewellery - ? broken pendant or earing.
rusty hairclip, and other rust bits. Bud cap.
M3 X 25 machine screw, non ferrous.
Zinc diecast wheel from toy.

From the roadside
Canslaw and silver paper.
2 intact but flat drink cans

Todays vexing question.
In the original TV Batman series did Robin ever begin an observation or deduction with…
“Holy television evangelists, Batman, (observation or deduction).”

1 Like

Todays finds

in containers we have;
two containers of clay samples
Steel cans
Aluminium canslaw
electrical wires
condom wrappers
On the lids, bottletops and glass

The interesting stuff on the paper

Lock barrel
mysterious 5 wooden turned 15mm diameter painted blobjects
12 mysterious wooden cubes in assorted colours
sewing machine parts
staples
steel whatsit
fastners, assorted
pottery and pen end
interesting piece of igneous rock
roof rack clamp

The stuff in the container

knife handle
wooden “toothbrush”
two syringes
big piece of glass
lego
carpenters pencil
bag resealing clip

The moist interesting fined of the day…
i really have never seen one of these before.

The 5 wooden painted turned pointed blobjects have me puzzled.

1 Like

That’s a significantly serious session! How many hours?

Steel wotsit looks like part of a gin trap if it’s hinged…
The wooden things have me rummaging in the “random things I’ve seen” vault at the back of my brain. looking at the design, wondering if they aren’t sealing plugs for pipe/conduit?

Yes i have a vault like that at the back of my Brian too. They seem a bit over finished to be part of a firework, but that would be consistent with ending up where they did. Part of a toy or a set of pieces for a game perhaps ?
Gin trap lever could be a hit though it is also possible it belongs with the sewing machine parts that were scattered about.
But these three parts at least, are identifiably a sewing machine.
(though i havent looked up the brand name and info yet)

Topright is known as a ‘Bandit Strap’ Basically a brutish stainless cabletie, most commonly seen in the wild around concrete powerpoles. Yes, other two are definitely sewing machine…You’re on a domestic site, I take it?
Comparing the baseplate to my wifes collection that rivals my detector horde, I’d say not an Elna or Bernina. Statistically likely to be a relatively recent Singer We have/had treadles and handcranks through to electric and I’d say it’s probably off something circa 1970-80’s and that’s the underside. Have a clean of the opposing side and once we can see the guide line scoring we can probably narrow it down. :slight_smile:

OK, i see, signfix for fixing signs to power poles, not part of the sewing machine. This site was once the footpath of a inner city residential suberb, until earthquake caused it to be zoned as unsuitable for building. Now a wasteland where people go at night to escape public life and do things that are nefarious or ill-eagle. Like a little clandestine…
rubbish dumping, procreation practice (they re only practicing, judging by what they leave behind), firework lighting, consumption of non parmacy supplied enweirding agents, and other fancy stuff.

1 Like

you must be on the east side of ch ch.

Well barely, i live on the east side of columbo street which, if you consider columbo street to be the divide between east and west, means that is an accurate guess but only by possibly 75 meters.
The area i am detecting currently is the most westerly part of the red zone, in the Avon loop, inside the CBD, which is because it is within easy walking distance of my lair, lying perhaps 1200 meters due east.

Ferrous blobject
copper pressed belt buckle cover?
nail
2nd row
piece of sheetmetal.
? pottery - flat, hard but not conductive
another blobject
roof nail washer
belt buckle perhaps?

A bit of wire brushing reveals…

unidentifiable rusty blobject
toothpaste tube
belt buckle parts (found several meters appart)

Yep, its junk, except for shackel pin, a surface find.
Note to self - find a less confusing background than concrete.

2 Likes

Went out tonight and detected a playground.
Two hairclips and a lump of iron, that was all. Most dissappoiintting.

The rest were surface finds - pipe, nail, pencap, plastic screw cap, spring, two lolly sticks and a bottletop with my initials printed on it.
Then, on the way home i made a find that was worthwhile.
This Beautiful Sunset.

Hmmm, software zoom lens has produced some interesting pixelation/processing artefacts in this image. I quite like the effect.

I thought that was an opium pipe at the top, lost by Ah Fony Chung on his voyage of discovery from ancient China around 1450.
The sunset looks nice. Where abouts is it?

Nope, not opium pipe, it part of some sort of permanently buried irrigation system i thinks. Sunset in edgeware road, north of cbd.
This area serves as the red light district, a property timeshared with the street at right angles to it.

Oh, and i did not dig it up, the irrigation pipe, it was lying in the gutter.

Todays fine-dz

Hair tie
Lots of magnetic rocks and sand.
Wire frame
Piece of iron slag
screw
bottle top
cans
nail
wire.

Further careful cleanup of the object described above as iron slag reveals…
No substantial refinment of previous description.

Further careful cleanup of the objects described above as magnetic rock reveals nondescript grey pebles, perhaps garnet?

1 Like

Im confusilated, can we still detect in level 4 restrictions?

Back to the detecting again today
No landmines found. Always a good start.
4 nails
Assorted ferrous junk on left of picture
on the right side, starting from the back we have
Large strip of 5 by 25mm (hi tensile) aluminium with holes
Rectangle of lead
piece of alumin canslaw
piece of ?diecast aluminium
bottle neck and glass
Plastic cap

Never imagined i would find such a handfull of junk so enjoyable to hunt

And a rather picturesque sunset as well, with attached haiku…

Autumn is here now
Bare trees stark against sunset
A chilly walk home

1 Like