Summer snippets

Well I ventured out today and brought the dredge home after the flood gave it a hiding. Also went for a 3hr sniping mission which went very well. Got onto some nice gold in the sunshine. 10.5g of the good stuff

8 Likes

The man! . Cheers for the inspiration. Heading to a public area tomorrow for a play .

Hope you’re getting some nice gold… will send you some photos of some Coromandel finds… regards Pete

@mathias_brandl bloody hell - Paydirt’s Mr Gold! I need to hit you up for some tips to up my game!!

Number 1 tip would be to look where there is plenty of gold, and to hold your tounge the right way, of course!

4 Likes

Yesterday’s mission involved moving gravels and boulders around where I did well the day before. It was slow going as the gravels are well cemented/claybound. Came away with 2.6g for 6 hrs… My 4 inch is in the mail, will be fun!

7 Likes

Another day out and more scratching around to try to get some weigh. Running out of shallow bedrock that’s holding gold. 2.8g today and my biggest piece for the summer of 1.1g (although not large by any standards). Maybe more tomorrow

7 Likes

Had a couple of productive outings on Monday and Tuesday. Both were short days of sniping. Found a very cool hook shaped piece of gold. Definitely hooked now!

14 Likes

Smashing it dude, how many hours a day you spending sniping to get those results? Awsome effort.

Huge days lol (sarcasm) , about 6 hrs away from home on Monday and about 4 hours on Tuesday. I reckon I’ve just got lucky, going again tomorrow, will see what happens.

1 Like

It’s interesting when you find two very differently shaped kinds of gold in the same spot in a stream. These are only at a mm scale and are photographed through a jeweller’s loupe.

8 Likes

A rare treat today. Some wire gold! Shame its so small. Photo through 10x magnification

3 Likes

never seen or heard of wire gold.

Gold can come in different form, wire gold, crystalline and also as ribbons.

You are kidding…not even heard of it???

Wire gold. This in the form of a bird nest type material. Not mine but came from a hard rock mine in a location that I spent quite a bit of time detecting in the locality.
Gold wire speci

And this a small crystalline piece I detected last year
20190513_165333-1 !

20190514_095530-2

Not sure that this is a ribbon piece. Probably a little too thick.

@ Matt. The Pomahaka is doing you well. You are on a roll. Nice gold. :+1:

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

4 Likes

Hi Graham…5 books in cardboard boxes… will let you know when I pick them up next week

that is good Pete. I am just walking out the door to my place. Do you want me to send a cheque now for them as I will write one out and put it in post on my way.

Sorry just got this Graham… no worries I’ll secure books and we’ll go from there… have a fantastic time

Are u sure your not taking photos of google and saying there yours mate ? Seems your the only one of many on here that goes and finds 6 grams in a afternoon play about lol

Korza11

That seems a very unfair comment and shows just how much YOU know about gold mining and fossicking. Many dont share what they get but Matt has and here you have to make an ignorant comment…very unfair.

In actual fact in the past I had over 6 ounces for an afternoon play about and that was no where near my best day - do you want to call me a liar because that seems to be what you are insinuating that Matt is. I have no doubt that he got the amount he says he has got?

For your benefit photo included.

My son in his first trip some years ago to a spot near where Matt is got considerable more than that.! I only kept a record for one year and for the first time in over thirty years worked out how much gold I got per hour average - 3.83 grams per hour it came to.

Another year when I did not keep records and never took photos I remember getting 8 ounces or about 248 grams one day and another day 15 ounces or 465 plus grams.

Where Matt is I am actually a little surprised that he is not getting a bit more than he is getting.

3 Likes