Mudwiggling through 2020

I’d like to know how you cleaned them, I have not had success at cleaning rings.

Silvers, I soak in cloudy ammonia - these were robust and very oxidised so left them in overnight.
Remove, rinse, very light buff with an old green plastic scourer (new ones are too aggressive)
Then 1200 wet and dry, sometimes a touch with 800 if the oxide is really thick.
Finish with Brasso on a piece of denim and final vigorous polish on a piece of sweatshirt material.

Golds are bit more finicky, especially if the the copper has migrated out.

2 Likes

Like the headless/legless toy reminds me of my youth… Maybe a little into the older ones :pensive:

Just over 24Hrs in and I’m getting the rot already… Pity anyone standing between me and the fields when they open the gate!

In the meantime, thought you guys would appreciate this, crappy plastic button broke on my ‘favourite’ detecting shorts (heavy duty, lotsa pockets). Buttons are apparently not essential services at the moment, so I did what any pioneering detectorist would do… As I was making it, I thought that this would make a swingers day if it surfaced in the mud in 50 years :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This screwey thingy, did you ever ID it?
I seem to recall that something very similar to this was inside a toy spinning top that i fixed once.

I think it is quitel likely the wick adjuster on either an old kerosene lamp such as a 1860s - 1930s Millers or Aladin table lamp or maybe a kerosene heater such as the old Valor Heaters. It looks different to the ones I know but hey I sure havent seen them all and it does have many characteristics of the lamp adjusters - adjusting knob at the top, threaded screw in top just below it, a long shank with an achimedian type screw slot and corresponding indexing carrier to move up and down in the archimedian type screw slot and finally a holder attached to the indexing carrier device to hold what ever is supposed to go up and down. The different types are vaste!
My money says a lamp or heater adjusting mechanism with a 90 percent probability that its a heater rather than a lamp…

Last hunt was before lockdown so was getting the itch… Local lake is at lowest level in ten years so went for a stroll at the 3m depth mark. Results as expected…

On the upside, if the trout are still alive the remaining water will be thick with them.

7 Likes

Update on the [cough] sword hilt…

Just got word it’s a rigging ring off a scow.

Damn.

3 Likes

Nipped out for the afternoon low, relying on my secret squirrel method for finding new spots.
First out of the mud after a few steps was a good old NZ penny. Promising start.
Was a reasonably productive run with a good target every few minutes… in amongst the copper scrap offcuts.
Came across the remains of old seawall stakes and hung around there for a while, lifting a nice sterling Hebdomas pocketwatch backplate and a small 18ct ring (modern) which was a suprise given the location.
Other bits and pieces were the usual old decimals, sinkers, couple of muskies (left them in their holes), a half dozen CAC Mk2 cordite 303 casings, probably someone came across a bunch of them as cheap surplus and was letting rip.
Find of the day would have to be shared between a tatty 1816 Bullhead sixpence and a 1930’s W.Britain Gnome (!)
Still plenty more for another day.

6 Likes

Fantastic finds Mudwiggle good on ya.

1 Like

Jeez MW you have just about covered everything on that hunt. Congrats. Love the gnome.

1 Like

From the looks of that I should bring the sovereign sniffer up😎

1 Like

Morning tide out in the mist this morning.
Not a lot of action as not a big tide, so in a well-hunted area of the beach just following the waters edge as it came in.

Ring streak continues with a carbon fibre ring (albeit an eyeball find).
Caught up with my girl Vicky again too, although she was hiding well down and just gave the quietest of teasing whispers from two scoops down as the coil went over. 1896.

Can’t ID the wierdness at top left. 45mm dia, reverse has a nylon insert. Looks like some sort of ratchet component, except diecast ali, so not a heavy duty item? Anyone?

3 Likes

Kids spinning game bay blades I think it’s called

1 Like

Yep - Beyblade. Never heard of them until this morning. Into the junk bucket.

Some of them go for 3k+

Just need to find the other bits worth $2,999.90 then :smile:

What’s the button? Any markings (filling up word limit)?

Just your standard “Best Ring Edge”.

Back to my new spot to fill in the gaps. Paper-thin George 3 6d was find of the day…The only reasonable find really. A slick Vicky 6d came in later but that was it aside from just under 2kg of sinkers.

3 Likes