Kwikeiths west coast places

you cant stay home when its not raining. up Denniston again, found a lost clip and an old screwdriver. a couple more sounds but couldn’t be bothered digging
“BLACK DOG” out with us again trying to train him to find gold.

4 Likes

Wow. What a lot of rocks you had to shift for a clip and an old screwdriver or had some random gold suction dredger beat you to the treasures.

cant say one might incriminate one self since they would have been poaching .
not as many rocks as down stream

1 Like

having to take the “BLACK DOG” for a walk up charming creek great place but no good for detecting for sum reason . the detector just keeps beeping all the time maybe sum thing wrong with it
the good thing is don’t even need to use the car to go up here just walk from home.

bugger living on the coast every thing is so handy and close

3 Likes

river is running alittle high for getting out to detect

4 Likes

Wetsuit and 50lb of lead - Leave the waders at home :laughing:

On the upside, think of all that fresh yellow goodness it’s moving

thinking more of getting out the rubber raft. after all I could shit myself and no one would notice in that colour water.

waders are not the go in moving water lost a good friend allan from temuka in the late 70s in the rangitata crossing with waders on getting a duck. lost his footing fell and turned upside down with the air trapped in the boots went down the rapid with his head hitting the bottom all the way

With you there Bud! Lost my long-time friend out of a kayak (in 8’ of water - within spitting distance of shore) due to the same reverse buoyancy. I’ve never recovered from that, especially as I had always (outright) lectured him on it. Going to pour a dram of the expensive stuff and raise a glass for him now… Be safe.

3 Likes

lost 3 friends in different situations all kayaking about 12 years ago all in one year. its always hard to deal with.

I used to be in mountain safety back in the 70s used to instruct in river crossing and ice travel . sad to say lost a good friend down a crevasse up the muchersion glacier, lost another mate in the crow river arthurs pass if you know it you can almost jump it . that’s what he was doing ,lost his footing slipped and hit his head and landed face down in a couple of inches of water and drowned .
when its time to go its time to go .

1 Like

Well Keith great minds do think alike. I was also a Mountain Safetly Council Instructor but firearm safety.
I had an uncle who was a great swimmer but wore his his gumboots out in a dinghy to rescue crayfish pots in a storm - bad move…bye bye uncle.

The same thing almost happened to me, slipped smacked my face on a rock in the river, was just lucky I managed to roll onto my backpack keeping myself out of the water before I blacked out. Happened just before I made it back to the vehicle.

once again walking round up behind middleton . another tunnel with rail lines going into it coordinates e 1565995 n 538953 along with poser “BLACK DOG”
almost made it to the escarpment but ran out of time so will head back up another time

4 Likes

great afternoon so you have to make the most of it. up the britannia track for a pan. a boil up and a great day out with friends and of course the " BLACK DOG"
oh that’s right no colour
3rd photo looking down stream the pool looking up stream had great exposed black bed rock. very broken and for someone young and fit it would be well worth a look

5 Likes

I went over the Bedrock in the second picture in Feb this year with the GM1000 and found nothing, got nothing to speak of with the sluice in same area either… :frowning:
Nice place tho and good spot to overnight in the camper van at the track carpark…

1 Like

Quite a few years back my mate and I did a couple of expeditions up Brittania creek with our minilab 1700’s. Went up a fair way. Buggar all bedrock, but on what bedrock we did come across we got a few bits of gold. But they were few and far between. Also lugged a suitcase dredge up there and got almost diddly squat. What we did get was very fine. Also gave the waimagaroa plenty of attention and did a little better there.

Cheers Trev aka The Hatter.

1 Like

Looks like a beautiful spot indeed. Might have to head up and take a look today :slight_smile: Bumped into you out at the Britannia Track on Sunday. Found a very small amount of fine. Thought ill jump on here and see if you had any more tips floating around for locations.

1 Like

Have a couple of mates that have gone up there on separate occasions. They got gold on 3 out of 4 trips (one chap went once the other three times). One guy spotted a 2g nugget just sitting in plain sight.

3 Likes

this is the waimangaroa river just where the conns creek enters. need a big turffer to lift some of these rocks. once again no show with out the black dog.

5 Likes

this might get some wheels spinning. this is a photo of the richest mine up the waimangaroa river. it is on the true left and round 100m up stream from conns creek on the track. sorry I cant remember its name. as you follow the track up on the true left you will notice lots of drives on the track and below. I have only been up to where the track crosses the river so far, its bloody well cut now. need some white paint to paint a line down the middle.

6 Likes

Like to see your photographs of areas I’ll likely never have the time to go and see!

1 Like