Winter activities

It’s getting cold, are people still looking for gold in winter? I’m considering digging a hole somewhere away from the icy waters to get some gold but not get cold.

4 Likes

I’m hoping to try a few new spots with the detector rather than getting in the water :slight_smile: Though I have slowed down a bit now it’s colder out there!

4 Likes

I will be heading to the West Coast, below Greymouth, for some digging in riverbeds, and also to get my detector warmed up for a few bright sparkly bits, after Queens Birthday. Of course, only digging when the weather is reasonable! Ben.

4 Likes

A bit of cold weather and high waters never stopped us, still out in full swing, just less daylight is a pain, and the rivers flood pretty quick as always so sometimes have to call it a day early. Sticking out of the water a bit more (we don’t normally get down under it for sniping just crevicing and sluicing anyway) but still getting out there for sure.

Cheers

2 Likes

This winter is repairing and modifying equipment for me!

2 Likes

I’ve got a couple days off in June, weather permitting be heading somewhere. Don’t think I will bother with a sluice but have a more of a play with the detector, which I haven’t had much luck with tbh. Any hints using it over winter?

Have tried winter dredging - and failed… tried wearing 2 x 7mil wetsuits for a while, felt like the mitchellin man (am paranoid about using a hot water transfer system/burns). My face would get so cold I couldn’t speak after an hour or so in the water (probably a good thing anyway). Once I got so cold I couldn’t stand up or use my legs for a bit. But the gold, so shiny…

This year, either I am smarter or softer, or likely both! just not quite so keen to freeze or be so buoyant! so just planning for spring, but already going a bit stir crazy.

Wish I knew how to use a detector! It looks easy but I suspect its not.
Might just do a few days crevicing out of the river.
I brought a pool table with some spare cash from last season’s gold, and amusing myself on that…
can I last till spring, prob not!

5 Likes

I don’t know how you can get into 2 x 7mm wetsuits??? I can’t get into one anymore! They just don’t make wetsuits my shape anymore! lol

1 Like

lol it was amusing - you become very floaty! I have noticed the middle parts are being made smaller!

1 Like

Detecting is a good idea for winter, detecting is definitely a good option for winter!

1 Like

Hints, is well pretty much the same as normal, ideally look for exposed bedrock, and if you don’t want to get wet obvioulsy out of the water, if you are at a heavy hit area (eg public site) go in just after a major flood if you can to maximise the chance of finding anything. Bedrock rivers are generally better then clay bottom rivers for detecting (or so we have found), and yeah good luck!

2 Likes

How about learning to smelter gold in winter?

A good mate gave me a hand having a first crack at it. Started out with 34.5 grams with the aim of ending up with a troy ounce bar - just under 32grams. Some of it was quite dirty - had irony rock on it thats really hard to get off.

We made a small ball with the most dirty gold - used some borax to purify, worked a treat. It formed a thin skin which we was a bit tricky to remove, had to lightly sand to get it all off. Then we melted the lot into a bar (of sorts). Hey for a first crack its not terrible! Shined up good with a light polish.

Pretty much lost less than 1.5 grams of not gold. Guess the not gold doesn’t weigh much.

Heres some picks:

8 Likes

Nice one, might want to get yourself an ingot mould?

1 Like

time to shop on dredgenz!

2 Likes

No doubt all the rivers would have been well in flood this last week and this weekend. Could be a good time once they settle down to have a nosey :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah I reckon I’ll head out, all be it in a extra layer of polarfleece under my waders, definitely ain’t shorts and boots weather now, I have been considering a domicile upgrade to something that’s not on the ground and a better matress. It’s a great opportunity to sleep more as there is piss all to do after dark apart from a movie in the sleeping bag.
I too will be taking the GM1K for a hoon, for me it’s really about being outdoors and escaping the city and getting amongst nature.:call_me_hand:t2:

3 Likes

Managed to get out to find a couple of little bits before the bad weather yesterday

9 Likes

Digging for gold all year round.
Just had a great weekend at Aorere.
Water was abit chilly…But the gold was good…:call_me_hand:

9 Likes

Nice gold and nice looking creek!

2 Likes

Had hoped to pop over this weekend, but think the rivers may still be abit high :thinking:

1 Like