Where should I start looking for it?

Hi,
I was going to do some scouting on the South Island soon to find my gold claim… Which areas should I shortlist?
Like, I know there was Gold around Queenstown/Arrowtown… But there was also a lot of activity, so probably not a lot left…
I see that there are a few claims on creeks in central otago and a lot of unclaimed creeks there… So, would that be a place where I can find an amazing place for a claim or is that area not very rich?
Cheers
Pax

I thought areas like these would be a great place?
Like, rocky hills that are breaking apart and collect all the water (and gold?) in the creek in the middle…
Am I on the right track?

Gold claims are a bit like blokes, all the good ones are spoken for. :rofl: Having good public access to a claim is an important consideration.

4 Likes

Just remember, any unclaimed waterway is probably unclaimed at this point for a reason. No gold, not enough gold to justify the costs of a claim, or access problems - too remote, difficult landowners, or just tough terrain. Also consider the climate - frequent floods and dirty water, not enough water in small creek. Some waters have short restricted seasons, some have more hoops to jump through - fish counts, iwi involvement… It goes on. You’re probably best to do your homework and buy an existing claim or go shares in a claim with someone with the local knowledge. As they say, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Good luck with finding what you’re after.

5 Likes

The issue with buying an existing claim or shares in one is that there must a reason why someone is selling their claim or a share in it… Which is probably that it’s not a great claim (anymore) in the first place…
Or would you sell a claim that gives you ounces of gold?

Sounds like my ideal area

1 Like

Pax, I hear where you’re coming from. There’s many reasons someone might sell a claim. A change of living circumstances such as family, job, finances. Some get old and have ill health. Some might have several claims and want to focus on another. Claim owner might even leave the country for work, or not actually live here and not make enough use of it to justify all the costs of owning a claim. Best bet is get in touch with the owner and have a good chat. Also talk to other claim owners, most know each other and you’ll get a feel for the seller and also some knowledge of the claim perhaps. You’re right in saying some have been worked hard. Generally there’s always gold left, just depends if it’s enough to meet your requirements. If you’re working if for a living or a summer hobby. You can’t make a living most likely off something that’s been dredged full width and from end to end. A good knowledge of the claim and who has worked it and how will give you a good idea of whether it’s worth it for you. With gold prices at a record amount there’s some big asking prices out there for sure. But if it’s a good claim you could in theory sell it on again once you’ve had enough of it for whatever reason, so could be an investment in the future. There’s a few around where you can buy a share. Just be mindful you will prob need to get on OK with the other shareholders, plus everyone has to abide by whatever rules and regulations to keep it legit and avoid future issues. Such setups give you a knowledge base from the others too if you can share info such as what’s worked and what’s found. Hope that helps and you can find some ground. Even hanging out in the public spots you can learn a fair bit and meet some locals and maybe pick up some leads on some ground to work.

5 Likes

@pax. Ok, so you get a claim. Then what? Do you have any idea of what you are going to be doing or how to go about looking for gold in it? Are you going to be suction dredging, do you know anything about dredging? Or has the high price of gold got you all excited & you think you are going to make your fortune? No matter where you get a claim you can bet your bottom dollar many have been there before you. You need to treat it more as a hobby & any gold found is really a bonus.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

I have no idea what I am doing 99% of the time…

I want to retire by the age of 50… Which is just 5 years away now… So I am looking for other ways of income than working for someone else… And being out in nature, looking for shiny stuff sounds like a great way to make a living… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think my main issue is that I live in Auckland, which is an issue in itself but even more when it comes to try to find some gold… :frowning:

It seems like I might need a mentor then? Someone who knows all the tricks and is looking to pass that knowledge on to someone before they retire!?

1 Like

You are living a fantasy re the gold. You could end up losing every thing. Living in Auckland is kind of your down fall. You are a long way from gold grounds. Coro isn’t really a consideration. Don’t forget you have winter conditions to deal with which just make a hard job harder. Gold, you will never work harder in all your life. Approaching your 50’s, is rock wrestling in freezing waters really your idea of a fun way of maybe earning maybe a few dollars, if your lucky. If you are working by yourself then it is even harder & more miserable. You have floods & shit weather to deal with too. All adds up to down time & no money days.
Your best bet is to work hard for the next 5 years & be very spend thrift. Pay off debt & Invest wisely, if that is possible these days. Sorry to be a kill joy But…

5 Likes

But to answer your question of where to look for it. A good place to start is to look where gold has been found before. Like has been said before, if it were that easy then everybody would be doing it. The fact they aren’t should tell you something.

2 Likes

I am also trading Forex… I am used to do things that are not easy… :smiley:

Pax, you should listen to jw’s advice. And everyone here. Gold mining is no easy job. And is expensive. And for most folk a hobby. You’re lucky to find gold to cover some expenses. I’ve done a lot of things like labouring and building on hilly terrain in the heat of summer and cold of winter in some remote spots like the shotover canyon. None of it comes close to the daily grind of gold mining. Not only are you up against the elements but you’ll be up against it financially unless you have bottomless pockets of wealth. You’ll also need to be a bush mechanic with good knowledge to repair and maintain your dredge and vehicle in remote places, plus be able to survive yourself in the back country. Def not a retire by 50 sort of thing for anyone I have come across that is already out there doing it. Sorry.

5 Likes

As central banks push further to deflate the value of fiat currency and move to a full CBDC model one can simply stick to buying gold and tucking it away for a solid investment most people on here will remember when it was south of 500usd ounce now look at where it is you don’t need to find it to make money

Gold dredging/mining at 50 years old is f@&king hard work. Let alone living the dream in the environments any good gold is to be found nowadays. Its doable but you must be extremely determined to do any good.
Im probably good for one more hard season then Il be considering moving on to doing it more as a hobby.
Im on a decent claim…, but the body can only take so much, at 50 everything seems uphill. Good luck in your ambitions​:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

3 Likes

Yep good idea holding onto the yellow for sure and get a bag of crypto aswell i say

1 Like

How do you cash in on crypto if you want to get folding in your hand?

How’s Forex working out for you?

Well, ups and downs… But now more in an uptrend, finally…

But that’s why I am looking for alternatives…

1 Like