Southerlies 2020 and misc

Clay pipe or recent past modern bong type thing? It’s the seam (cast from mold look) that has me questioning age and usage. Under the level of the ‘Super Atomic No.91’ but that means little since there’s been landscaping (I confront the roots of it today) that may have entailed digging to the earlier level or leveling a later level. Not sure if you can see in the pick but in the basin (technical name?) of it you can see the pipe hole has been poked through with something. Terracotta/ceramic type sound to it clinked on a coffee cup.

I would say that it will be a very old one - a bit of history there. Pretty typical of the clay pipes of the 19th Century which came with many many different patterns and some variation in shape. The seam is more pronounced than the many I have here but I also have not got one with the same pattern (and there were many) to compare it with.

Awesome. I’ll follow that with an email to offer to rehome it. Just goes to show the damage of landscaping to the stratigraphy as there was modern stuff underneath it (in fact the 1920s bottles you have seen are set below). There’s older history attached to that side of the property, (and perhaps the property was a shortcut before there was a house?) but further away from it, a company owned a strip that now is a gazetted road, where they laid out their goods for drying,. I will keep my eyes out for the stem and maybe a maker’s mark. Didn’t they give them away at pubs?

I dont know if they gave them away but they were amazingly common. I have an entire collection from just one goldminers hut site. The stems must have broken easily and I found bowls, stems and fragments representing at least ten different patterns.
Some of the bowls are really nice, Eagle claw holding it, floral patterns, basket weave patterns and so on. I think over the years I have managed to get three complete.

So amazingly common I have not seen one at the Settlers museum (doesnt mean there are none in storage). Exciting for me!

the smaller the bowl the older they are. watch niichola white mudlarking the thames she finds heaps and explains them

1 Like

Roy - l have seen her series and agree but out here l do not think that rule necessarily seems to follow. I have found the small angled bowls plus the more vertical larger ones in the same ash pile from the same hut and era so think they may have been used concurrently. In other words although a typical 18th Century pipe bowl form they seemed to survive right into the 1870s.

A bit like firearms- l had read of people still using old percussion revolvers right up into the 20th Century although in the case of the guns it was due to the fact that cartridges for a particular gun could be hard to come by while in percussion guns you simply bought powder and caps but made your own projectiles.

I dont know why those older forms of pipes survived so long but out here l sure dont think they can be used to date a site…regardless of what the so called experts might tell us!

The photo shows most of the pipe bowls that l got out of a late 1860 to 1900 then depression miners hut. The bowls will relate to the late1860s - 1900 era. They were all together in no particular order which indicates that the older looking ones were not thrown away first. You can clearly see what the mudlark lady referred to as the earlier type in the bottom two rows with generally smaller angled stems. Note the fancy one. I have many like it from the same hut but have no idea where l put them.

One theory of mine relates to where they were made which might indicate that some areas may have retained the 18th century and earlier style long beyond when other manufacturers had up dated the style. The reason for that is that some of the older style ones have the Harp of Erin on them plus the word Cork and some have various manufacturers in Glasgow so l am assuming that the Irish and Scottish manufacturers may have maintained the early styles much later.

1 Like

i suppose you have to think on how expensive new world tobacco was back then thats the reason for small bowls,the later bigger bowls must have been because the weed was getting cheaper,they seem datable by size. p s,nice pipes lammerlaw.

All of these ones came from the same ash heap so that regardless of shape or size they are all the same vintage and the only observation I canmake is that maybe, just maybe the smaller angled bowled pipes are Irish or Scottish while the larger bowled pipes are English.

Sadly I cant find the collection of bowls which are all fancy and which also came from the same hut ash pit site.

1 Like

hate it when you lose your bowls!!!

Isnt that what is called bowled out? Must keep looking for the other ones I have - with the exception of the complete one and nearly complete ones those onesin the photo are the rubbish!

1 Like

Plated clasp/brooch of some type.

Little hinged tin that might come up better after it dries a bit.

Helpful when people bury their trash in an organised fashion, right in the right hand corner so early-ish (I was told when they dug out the left hand corner, way back when, under a huge Toi toi was the Codd bottles) Only blue whole one I have seen in my time in Wgtn, ever, even in the beach wash ups. I cannot find anything on the Wellington P & O sauce bottle, please speak up if you do, or it becomes a donation so we can find out something about it.

3 Likes

QBweekend break from the site… Carterton, it either has nobody with a metal detector or kids carry way too much cash. From a playground and flying fox…

1 Like

Papawai

Not metal but I’m not keeping it to myself.

3 Likes

The Taniwha of Papawai appears not to have taken issue with me, I have a brand new dream permission…From a short stint there before I go back at another time.
A 1952, 2 1943 pennies a 1946 and an unknown silver.

2 Likes

if the pennys are still there chance of something nice.

I am researching the site as the owner said there were also other buildings. The unknown was a George V penny, I’ve spent too much time with beach coins and thought it wasn’t green enough to be bronze initially.

1 Like

It says ‘Navy League, Keep Watch’ not enameled and early but there seems to be a discrepancy online about era. W1 or W2? (have since found it online it is W1) Brass more than bronze I think, or it would have bronze disease (seems I was right, Re link). There you go my second military find.

4 Likes

Bit of tidying so got them together but I believe I’ve got an artillery gun rolling around the car. Definite themes emerging, here they are, the lead toys of Wellington harbour…

3 Likes

not seen the motor bike one, cool!

1 Like