Sluice box dimensions

Hey all,
Hoping for some help on a maximum sluice box length for fosiking areas.
Have no intents of making a huge one. Just trying to find out if there are max dimensions for the public areas, I’ve been hunting around for info but come up dry I’m afraid.
Cheers in advance
Travis

Hi…I think its max 20cm wide and max 1metre in length…Stu

1 Like
  • riffle/sluice box – there may be size restrictions in some areas.

MMmmm… there used to be a size mentioned but not there any more. I think it was 900 x 150.
Some of the DOC signs at the fossicking areas had it written on them but probably more just a guide of size. I meter by 200, as mentioned, should be ok. I don’t think DOC are too anal on it as long as you aren’t taking the piss in a recreational fossicking area. Usually what is comfortable for you to carry around & set up & able to cart around easily. They don’t really need to be huge to be efficient. Just get it set up right & all good.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Thank you guys.
I knew there was something somewhere, as I came across it years ago when I first lived in queenstown.
Back down here for good and been getting my boots filled both figuratively and literally at the arrow. Haven’t seen any thing on the signs down there. Not even a sign regarding fossicking.

If the sluce body was 254mm by 1200 is it likely to be an issue considering most branded ones are similar dimension.

I’ve just noticed that most manufactures sluices are around 1300 in length. So I’m guessing thats including the flare. So ill shorten my design down a little. Just been trying to make the most of a sheet if I can.

I done some building work in the greymouth d.o.c office and asked the ranger a couple of years ago as I was building one for myself and he didn’t care what size it was as long as I wasn’t digging in the river banks. The regs are 200 mm by a metre. Mine was 254 by 1100 I think and was fine in his eyes.

2 Likes

Thank you for that, I think from what you have all said ill shorten it down just a tad and be on the safe side.

1 Like

At Louis creek I remember a sign saying 200mm x 1200 mm

1 Like

Just stick to what you have mate. Should be sweet. If pulled up on it just plead ignorance & say you will sort it out but I think you will be all good. Don’t sweat on it too much. Have fun, find some gold.

1 Like

From what I recall 5 of the 19 public fossicking areas actually stipulate sluice box size…the rest dont.
You be sweet as DOC have bigger fish to fry mate!

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you all for the help. Now to draw it up and find somewhere to get it made in time for summer fingers crossed

1 Like

Found this. Page one states a sluice box length of no more than 1.5 meters. Didn’t say a width.

That sure is handy to know, thank you very much for that, i will be sure to keep that saved just incase :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s my stream sluice setup with 8 inch dream matts…made by jeff king of golden bay.

2 Likes

I’m also in the process of designing / making a sluice box. Was wondering whether to just use dream mat…I understand you don’t need to classify material? which would be a plus I guess. If i decide to go with riffles, is there any “golden” ratio of height and spacing for these?. Was planning on a box length of 700mm x 230 wide, plus a flare . Overall length under 1M. Alloy gauge recommended would be 3 mm?? Any comments from the experts greatly appreciated!

I’m no expert I’m just mashing bits together that make sense to me, others out there could definitely give better advise. I’m making mine quite long and most likely using gold hog mats. But I’d say that 1.2 mm sheet would be fine. Its what most company’s seem to use from what I could find. That might make it a bit cheaper and also lighter to carry

Thats a nice looking bit of kit there :slightly_smiling_face:

Read the findings of Randy clarkson if your building your own box, it’s the most in depth report on sluicing and riffels produced,
I think typically the distance between riffels should be 2xheight of riffle for the first capture zones then can be spaced out after to suit your design.

The report your looking for is called ‘an analysis of sluice box performance’ by new era engineering corporation.

Also I wouldn’t use 3mm alloy for a box there is no need at all, 1.6mm is easier to bend and half the weight.

1 Like

Hi there again all,
Calling on Queenstown based people, does anyone know of a resonable place to buy and and get alloy bent up.
Ill take home and cut and mark folds.
Any help again would be greatly appreciated

Maybe @Gavzilla can help?

1 Like