Scratching with the Nox800 for left behind 20th century trash and treasure,NI,NZ

Location Waiorongomai:Had to do this site to cross it off the list,on one of my permissions,I knew it was all iron and little else,(so far) but I had too check ,so no need to open the gate to that paddock again.Old school electric fence standard ,2x horseshoes, rusted shut fencing pliers, odd bits of steel, once I worked out the VDI#s only dug the 20+#.
Settings for this very trashy area,field 1 @ default,all metal,iron bias f2 @4 ,altered the sensitivity a couple of notch’s up and down as well as the iron bias, depending on target tones, but basically stayed on those settings!
)

Location Te Aroha;Went for a scratch on a old school permy for an hour on my way home from work
1 x 1940ish penny
1x cent
1x 2 cent
and the normal trash
Settings…Park 1 default,sensitivity down to 15,iron bias 6.
After 45 mins of finding trash I discriminated out all VDI #s except,20 to 25 then got the coinage

1 Like

Location Whangamata, main beach not a squeak out of the NOx ,clean as a whistle ?? or hammered hard ??? In the stretch I did anyway .Hit the cockle beds and beach for 4 hours,24 cents,brass nuts &tacks,was hard hunting this place
NOX settings Beach 2 @ default, iron bias @0 and all metal setting.

2 Likes

thanks for the settings. still not sure what I should use and where. know about the gold setting.

@kiwikeith… Dreamyminer posted me this link;Have a read of this from a well respected expert https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/6799-equinox-800-gold-nugget-detecting-tips/

I mainly detect for coins ,(when not prospecting ) VDI# normally 17-25 (where I am anyway),in all modes,except gold mode, just go default till you figure it out,also refer to manual for area/mode.

2 Likes

4 hour scratch after work tonight, 1950 penny,20c piece, 2c piece, and trash, 4th time I’ve done this area ,just going deeper each time and digging lower numbers each time as well.
Settings:field 1, default, sensitivity 22, iron bias 0 ,all metal. Stay safe friends.

1 Like

Hi, please can you tell me how you’re finding the Equinox 800 on beaches and harbours at low tide? I’m on the verge of buying one but have read a few bad reviews recently. I’m borrowing a garrett atpro at the mo. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Charlie1 ,how’s it going,I myself don’t have issues with the NOX 800 whether on land or water, I purchased it mainly cause it has a bit of everything in it,land ,water ,gold, coins, relics its all there,oh wifi/bluetooth and the 10 ft depth,the default modes all do there jobs as they should,so you can turn on and go,nothing is perfect my friend, this machine does have its faults like all other machines but to me I regard them as very minor quirks and I love it ,if you get it take your time,if your impatient like I was,and mix up the settings ,you have two reset settings the factory resets and the mode reset, long press and your off again, if you need help drop a line ,cheers

Location… Lake karapiro,Horahora Domain .
Four hours after work .not alot of coinage for this type of spot,very popular with the public,swimming,jetskis, and boating area, first time scratching this spot.Water hunt at a later date.
1x 1935 George penny
1x1933 sixpence
2x 2cent pieces
3x 1 cent pieces
$5 spendies
Heaps of pull tabs bottle tops etc
Nox settings,Park 1 default discrimination 18-40

2 Likes

Nice finds, might I suggest you dig 14 and up for threepence silver’s or 10 and up for gold targets.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip Cosmo
In my area those numbers tended to uncover mainly foil,as to why I very rarely dug them I’m a lazy detectorist ,and mainly hit the numbers at mid range 19/25 if I haven’t found any coinage with in half an hour, but i will do a dedicated swing from 9-18 next time Im out,see what I pull up,probably tomorrow after work,thanks mate

I used to live there.(Whangamata) Beat you to it. LOL. That was a few years ago though. Should have well replenished since those days, but it is pretty hammered. Amazing what you find up in the sand dunes where teenagers do what teenagers do. LOL :joy:

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

not just teenagers. I bloody near got my zimma frame stuck last time I was there. had to get PULLED out

Did Lammerlaw help you out? :rofl: I know he is fond of the Coro. Lucky you were pulled out & not pulled off. Or maybe you would have prefered that later :laughing:

1 Like

mainly bottle caps ring tabs in the dunes

Not only bottle caps ring tabs…in my experience. Coinage, jewellery, condom wrappers, hash pipes,keys, hair clips, pocket knifes, wallets…

From a hunt a while ago. The 18k/platenium ring was a 10 and the broken 9k signet piece was a 8.

4 Likes

Looks like you’ve been in the water CC. Nice round up for this time of year.
Congrats.HH

Lol na was earlier in the year but wanted to show what he could be missing by just digging higher numbers on nox.

yep note taken thanks CC

1 Like