Road to Moonlight Creek probably closed May - Aug 2017

seems to be the main public area at least on the coast where theres a possibility of getting a nugget.

Yes…Most definitely.
JW :slight_smile:

kiwijw

update, since been told that it was found with a Fisher mk3 , replaced with a Fisher mk6. Friend say’s the Mk6 blew his SDC2300 off the field. He was quite surprised at the mk6, it was considerably cheaper. He also said Moonlight made parliament TV, To do with freedom camping, and the time DOC allow people to stay.

Holy nugget burgers batman …that is a nice chunky piece of goldeness…top effort…good to see there is still a chance of getting nuggets in the public fossicking areas(or there abouts)…see goldenboy…your better off going up this way instead of going around clearing up all the lead shot out of all of the central Otago rivers…lol…yeah those two guys that have been semi permanently staying up at moonlight have been up there the best part of 10 years now but hey…are they doing any harm? not making a mess…better than hanging at some halfway house getting drunk all day or Meth’ed up…least they’re still out there doing it…the real freecamping issue is quite a different can of worms I feel.

Yer, The guy in the caravan was there 6 years ago when I spent 4 days in there. He is a good bloke. He hasn’t had the caravan all that long. It is a bloody good set up with solar power etc. I called in on him last time I was in there just over a year ago. I even watched an episode or two of Gold rush Alaska with him. It was raining so couldn’t detect. Doc leave him alone as he isn’t on the dole & lives of the gold he finds. He also keeps an eye out on tha area & sorts out the dirty crap in the bush…or should I say, crap on the ground type useless prick campers. I think DOC look on him as a caretaker of the area & leave him be. Best of luck to him. Cheers

JW :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks again goldsborough. :slight_smile:

anyone likely to be at moonlight over the next week. be good to put a face to the names on here

Can’t wait to get back up here, maybe after lockdown level 3 however I’ve injured my leg quite badly so don’t know how I’ll get on walking way up the river bed but will pop up for a visit and see how I go.
Yes I was up there when mark found the nug and yes was a very happy Chappy :grinning:

There is also a bloke living permanently up Garden Gully. If you head in there on the left there are a couple of mean tunnels through quartz. About 10m into one is a vertical hole dug into the floor so dont assume its only a puddle you’re stepping into. Really interrsting tunnels though if your up that way.

2 Likes

What’s the bloke like up Garden Gully, socially friendly or a bit hostile & best to avoid? Cheers.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

I didnt chat with him but we eye-balled each other and had the nod. I do remember also finding a large jar, 4 plus litres, full of cash and an authentic looking pounamu putu i took a photo off, stashed in the bank near a tunnel entrance on hill slope a good 400-500m from where he lived

1 Like