Road to Moonlight Creek probably closed May - Aug 2017

thanks mike. hope to get there soon.

Hi Guys, I am going to be based in Blackball from 10th Nov for 4 nights, and will be visiting Moonlight Creek, I do know the road from a few years ago, and your warnings of trees across road have taken notice. Are the logging trucks still using the road? Dont really want to meet one going the other way!
Will also visit Slab Hut Creek whilst in the area, but I’m a bit limited in how deep I can dig, as I have almost completed the 3 months rehab from shoulder surgery. I will be taking it easy, so will dig behind large rocks, do a bit crevicing, any other tips for finding shallow gold? Will report back on how it goes, if weather behaves.
Thanks, Ben.

1 Like

looking forward to hearing how you go ben. especially at moonlight

Thanks Gus, weather looks promising, past few trips in there where
disappointing, gold wise that is. Ben.

3 Likes

Hi Folks, just back from 4 nights on the coast, in Blackball. Photo is of Moonlight Creek, on a stunning day!
The road was open, the road was in good condition alongside the logged areas, but once past there, the road is good, apart from the odd pothole. But do be warned that it is a narrow road in, and passing spots are few and far between. It takes approx 25minutes to drive in. No luck on the gold front.

1 Like

2 Likes

This is Slab Hut Creek, another stunner day! The next photo are the few flakes got using a Keene sluice, for a few hours, but the shoulder played up so had to stop. They look a bit bigger than what they actually are! Cheers, Ben.

1 Like

1 Like

at least you got a bit ben. good to hear the weather held out and road in was in good condition. were their many up there panning or sluicing and thanks for the photos. makes we want to go there now. lol

Hi Gus, there where 2 campervans, and about 5 cars up there at the camping
spot at roads end, saw only 2 other people on the river in the distance.

Haha…looks like your standing on top of red rock :grinning:

Can’t get away with anything these days, you obviously know this area very well Goldgrab2000, you are right, it was that very unusual red rock. Ben.

Might be some gold in that rock…!!

Anyone got some power gel…?

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

does anyone know what the road condition into moonlight is like at the moment. 2wd or 4wd. hope to get up there in a week or so.

It was in good condition a few weeks back, 2wd no trouble.

Was there in Feb between the cyclones, just after this was found there.
Mark called it the “Valentines Day nugget”

10 Likes

Very nice Moonlight slug. Congrats to the finder. They are still there. Was this detected, if so, with what & what is the weight? Thanks.

Good luck out there

JW :slight_smile:

Yes it was detected, after he had shifted many cu m3 of overburden. Next Cyclone he had to start again. Not too sure what the detector was, but I understand he sold the nugget to a friend so he could replace the detector, because it had got wet. Nugget was 3/4 oz

Thanks goldsborough. It is a great spot Moonlight. Cheers

JW :slight_smile: