Public Fossicking Area Collaboration (Slab Hut Creek)

Please feel free to contribute to this tread,any information you would like to share on the public fossicking area (Slab Hut Creek))7 km southwest of Reefton… Information may include-vehicle access and parking,track locations,hazards,camping facilities,toilets,accommodation,access and/or local info contact numbers,boundary locations,how bad the sand flies are and last but not least any general locations for finding a little gold.(Or a lot who knows!)

Dont forget to upload any good photos or Youtube links too!!

The more of us who contribute the better so don’t be shy.

This could be an excellent resource for us Paydirt gold seekers!!

1 Like

Pretty well known amongst fossickers,excellent camping facilities with BBQ area ,Toilets.
Some nice flakes can be found in between the large river bed rock straight out front of camp site although does get well worked!

Anyone else found flakes here,nick named Slave hutt creek as you need to put the work in aye!!

2 Likes

Plenty of gold traps around these boulders, you would be really unlucky not to see a number of good sized flakes in your first hour of sluicing.

3 Likes

Another lovely area for a fossick! always find some awesome colour

4 Likes
1 Like

You can see why this is a popular area to fossick,good camping facilities,native bush and most importantly a chance of some flakey gold.

Nice spot under the trees digging a hole.

Slab Hut Creek flakey gold from the bottom of de hole!!

4 Likes

just spent a hr ther to day and got sum new bit one my top paceis to go i wood live ther if i cood lol

2 Likes

Did a 3 day trip into the upper end of fossicking area…very steep with high waterfalls but found a crievious with my gold monster that had some nice chunky bits total 1.2grams…got pretty beaten up on the way down and was bitten by a huge eel!!!..had a blast…video footage to come!

12 Likes

Awesome! Good stuff, how far a walk up to end of public claim?

I came in from the top quad track…but about 3 hours I think until you get to some huge waterfalls…pretty narly up there.

1 Like

nice work good on you

Still making the vid…trying hard not to make it suck!

2 Likes

Nice gold! Did better than me when I went up there years ago. Though I was running a coin detector so a bit inadequate for the job :stuck_out_tongue:

Finally got it done …enjoy!!

9 Likes

hey fantastic mal, did some big missions in and around gorge myself love the place theres certainly some gnarly country and big eels alright

3 Likes

I’ve never had any issue with eels in the rapa’s…this one was really aggressive…land of angry eels aye!!

1 Like

Great video looks like a hell of an adventure!:slight_smile:

Great video mate, awesome adventure you had by the looks!

Understand there may be garnets to be had here? anybody any experience/luck ?

Yes there’s always a few Garnet’s in the sluice :grin: normally pretty dark in colour

Regards David

1 Like