Paydirt Home Locations Permit Map Equipment & Services Gold Price Old Forum Archive Donate Search

Public Fossicking Area Collaboration (Moonlight)

Please feel free to contribute to this tread,any information you would like to share on the public fossicking area (Moonlight Creek)27 km north-northeast of Greymouth. Information may include-vehicle access and parking,track locations,hazards,camping facilities,toilets,accommodation,access and/or local info contact numbers,boundary locations,how bad the sand flies are and last but not least any general locations for finding a little gold.(Or a lot who knows!)

Dont forget to upload any good photos or Youtube links too!!

The more of us who contribute the better so don’t be shy.

This could be an excellent resource for us Paydirt gold seekers!!

1 Like

Got to be one of my favorite places to Fossick,nice chunky gold if your on it,no access at the moment as loggers are using the only road in.Carpark at end of road but no facilities and no camping unless your self sufficient.
Vid showing a little gold

Anyone else had any luck up here?

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=ASycaCcOuxM

Probably my favorite public spot,
Always get a little bit of the yellow stuff. Does anyone know when access will be open?

1 Like

Nice flood gold flakes, seen other people camped there in buses. I managed fine in a Rav 4 in 2 wheel mode. Path down to the river can be very slippery and steep.

Sand flies extremely savage, they land and immediately bite! Luckily I had garden gloves in my pack, that seemed to stop them biting my hands, so then they tried getting up my nose :frowning:

Water level seems pretty high and flowing pretty quick, but since I am not a local I don’t know if what I saw is normal for this time of year.

3 Likes