Otagos biggest nugget

hey any body know the biggest nugget to come out of the otago goldfields?

Wasn’t it 29oz? Was trying to find a reference to this recently myself

In Otago, one of the largest nuggets found in the early gold rush days was one of 27 ounces in weight, reputed to have been found at Waipori, in 1863, by Davies, one of the prospectors of that district. Maybe Lammerlaw can confirm this. He was probably there. :joy:
I also thought there was a 24 or 25 ounce nugget found in 3 o’clock creek or Christmas Creek in the same area.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

7 Likes

Rob on the old gold dredging forum had a good article of gold nuggets found in nz. In otago he mentioned that a 78 oz nugget was displayed at the queenstown bnz bank in 1887 and was found up a branch of the shotover. Just searched and the article is still up. Google otago largest gold nugget.

2 Likes

A 27 ounce nugget was found in the Verter Burn.
Is this true??? Second-largest gold nugget found, lost | Otago Daily Times Online News
That nugget would be 46.29 troy ounces.

2 Likes

Told you Lammerlaw would know as he was most likely there. :joy:

2 Likes

You have just reminded me that my engine is in the back of iron horse so must get it to see if I can repair the blasted accursed thing.

How the hell did I do that?

As soon as you mentioned gold and nuggets I guess.

13 oz specimen nugget was taken out of the 8 mile creek near Macetown in the 1900s . It was broken into 3 pieces with a total weight estimated close to 30oz according to the museum in Arrowtown . It had been spearheaded by a shovel and the remaining bit was not found.

Skippers creek was renowned for its big nuggets as well as the Jennings creek up near bullandale. Some really rough gold was taken out of there.

Jones Creek near the Moonlight was renowned for it big nuggets 5+ Oz pieces and above

Gooseberry Gully one of the branches into the shotover by Maori Point was named after its goose egg sized nuggets 8-10 oz pieces and was one of the reasons why Maori point was so rich. It was worked mainly by the Chinese and not many records are available to confirm this.

5 Likes

there some nice pieces alright , id be happy to suck up an ounce nugget , must still be some stonkers waiting to see the light of day

1 Like

Have to agree webby.

One would think that Gooseberry Gully was named after Gooseberries that the Chinese would most likely have planted. I recall picking Gooseberrys at Aspinall’s Terrace quite a few years back.

Quite a few bushes up near mcleods to i remember picking a few when playing with my detector the only reward i got for my efforts not that i can use a detector

I couldn’t find that one on the map. You didn’t mean up the Lyell instead did you?

Topo of Moonlight

2 Likes

What map you looking at Gav?

Doh, was getting my Moonlights mixed up :stuck_out_tongue: Forgot we were just talking about Otago.

1 Like

The original creek was going to be called Goose Egg creek after the big nuggets found in there however at the time in the Otago province there were already a number of creeks named after animals (Kye burn, Sow burn, pig burn , Ewe burn , horse burn etc) and they didn’t want any more. So they went with gooseberry apparently.
I think its under claim through there

Jones creek Moonlight in Otago yes thats right

3 Likes

No Mr T, It was an April fools prank.

1 Like

Well if its false then its like everything else in this age of insincerity…bubblegum and bullshit and a prime example of what wankers some people are deceiving people.
I only thought politicians, car salesmen, lawyers and insurance companies did that.
No one in his right mind would have bungy jumped with it so l didnt think it had any credence - wanking turd fucking bum bandits.