North Island fossicking area,up dates

I took it as meaning the above comment must be Hypothetical as non of us would do anything we aren’t supposed to do would we? lol
Mind you I only got 25% in school C english so could mean anything :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Where is jasper creek. Cant find it on google.

The Doc Sign says Jasper Creek but I believe its correct name is Hotoritori stream they probably named it Jasper Creek due to the amount of Jasper in it :slight_smile:

Rules are made to be broken…aren’t they? :laughing:…I got busted dredging in a Coromandel creek & Environment Waikato were going to throw the book at me. Made me sweat for two weeks with legal action & for me to have a lawyer present at our “meeting”. Despite me pleading ignorance & that I didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to be doing what I was doing. In the final hour they sent me a letter of a written warning stating that due to our earlier phone conversation this was my first & only warning. Bugger, as I was getting what I would call reasonable gold for the Coromandel.

These pics are a bit dark & dingy as it was in a bit of a steep narrow gorge.

This was half a days result by the time I got there from home & got the gear in there & got it up & running. Was a bloody mission to say the least.

Naturally I aren’t going to say where it was. :wink: I would hate for you to go through what I had to go through.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Indeed they are… I did a few days of Covert Operations up there last weekend with pack pan and shovel but only found the usual flour gold, I need to move more dirt I think, but the main aim of my trip was to find a particular mine that had previously eluded me and I was successful in that and I also found a recent slip that had exposed a nice well rotted quartz vein and many large clear crystals, I will crush and pan some of the Quartz to see if its auriferous… I doubt I have the enthusiasm required to lug any serious equipment through the dense bush up there you were obviously very keen but going by your pictures successful as well, No pain no gain as they say :slight_smile: Thanks for all the pictures of Corro gold keeps me enthusiastic and hopeful…

3 Likes

Looking at thr nzpam link below there is a fossicking area in souyh coromandel or am i going mad

Nah going mad bud lol

1 Like

I heard or read something years ago that it was ok to pan in the Kauaeranga River, Thames. Something to do with the DOC center there & the camping ground areas. Not sure if it is still allowed. They even had classes to teach panning. Google it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Pretty sure it was run by the hauraki prospectors club,the same that run the goldmine experience ( I think) from memory, last one was few years back

Years ago I looked into joining that “Prospectors” club & found out it wasn’t anything to do with prospecting in the true sense of the word but more just being a member of that association to take care, oversee & be involved with “working bee’s” etc in the running & maintenance of their operation there in Thames. A "tourist " attraction of a working stamper battery & the process’s involved, including a walk through old mine tunnels with props of miners doing there thing in some of the drives working at the face. Walking past the stringers of gold bearing material that they were working back in the day. Like I said, nothing to do with true prospecting. Bugger.

1 Like

I think you got what you Deserved, as you cant do that in the South Island without a permitted claim.
Rolo

Hi Rolo

Not really clear on what your referring to? I am in the North Island and yes I am well aware of the legalities :slight_smile:

Sorry mate that should have gone to GW. My Bad.

I think you got what you Deserved, as you cant do that in the South Island without a permitted claim.
Rolo

He stated that he did not realise that you couldnt so a bloody unfair comment. Another thing I might add here is that this is New Zealand - the rules and regulations are aimed to protect wealthy fossickers and miners and most of us cannot afford to have a claim due to the exorbitant fees and official red tape.

My first claim was a copper mine and I did ALL the paper work myself. It took one evening. The fees were minimal. The hearing did not require my attendance and the entire thing was granted within weeks. That is how easy it was for the weekend guy back in 1972!

Good decent honest New Zealanders are being treated unfairly by corrupt politicians who kowtow to the bankers (Oh yes and the Rothschilds get the Macraes mine gold - we get nothing out of it except employment) and to wealthy off shore Mining corporations.

Amateur and weekend gold fossickers are treated badly. In my time you paid five shilling then fifty cents for a 12 month miners right which allowed to to fossick any unclaimed creek or river. You dont realise what you are losing.

3 Likes

We have lost our rights and power because we are voiceless. If we had a society that had good numbers and were actively lobbying we would make progress. Unfortunately no one can be bothered and it doesnt happen.

4 Likes

lets face it it will never happen . i know i cant be bothered and never will be

Could be interesting, if in times to come, WHEN the financial world bubble collapses & good honest people can’t feed their families, there might be a resurgence in gold mining to make ends meet. Maybe then the masses in this country MAY wake up a stick it to the government, politicians and policy makers and say enough is enough, & demand back what is rightfully theirs in the first place. UNTIL this happens we as fossikers will be regulated to the sidelines & treated like criminals while we enjoy our hobby.

3 Likes

Except most people are lazy sods with little imagination for a side-hussle. They will probably just put the hand out for government support.

1 Like

Probably not enough of us anyway, at the moment.