North Island fossicking area,up dates

Julian, Try the side creeks coming into the Kauaeranga River that flow in from the left going up the Kauaeranga Valley. Need to go up them a fair bit.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

Thanks for the tip JW… I did try Jasper Creek a while back but didn’t stay long as DOC were doing Kiwi aversion training up there… I plan on spending a week up there when the tourists have gone home so will head further up the Valley and check out the side creeks as you suggest…

1 Like

I know that cafe well. Thats unbelievable.:woozy_face: Do you really think it was because you were wearing a Minelab cap? I doubt she would even know what Minelab was. But you never know. How did your detecting go any way? I have found some nice gold up the Waitekauri high banking & heaps of mercury at the old stamper battery site in the Grace Darling Stream. I think it is the Grace Darling.

I can only assume she saw the word Mine in Minelab and assumed I was an engineer or surveyor or …?

I was looking for old coins n relics JW. Found a few silver coins, quite old, at the old domain but not much else. I did not go prospecting.

Chris.

1 Like

Any more headways on this topic?
I’m hoping to go for a “walk” around coastal Wellington next week in the general area of a former gold field.
Would be great if there was a designated area in the lower North

Nothing at this stage, will get hold of Annette ,again for a update,
@Pillie76…mate anything at your end.

No nothing here either. I have been crazy busy with last three months and haven’t even been enjoying the Paydirt site this whole time.

I’ll follow up with Annette too and see how I get on

I haven’t posted to the new paydirt community, having been chasing the gold across the ditch for the past few years. I use to post to the old Paydirt and some of my later posts are in the old forum archive under More Coro Gold. Those wanting to establish a coromandel fossicking area may find some useful information and comments in there.

1 Like

Cool will look thanks

There are no legal fossicking areas in the Coromandel or the North Island in general.

1 Like

Hi Ingguy here. I live on the Thames Coast and when I return home from my south island adventure in December can assist with sites

That will be brilliant cheers,keep in touch ,. are you prospecting down there,im heading down late March for a few weeks .

Hi Tom Just doing the public fossicking sites through Otago at moment… been told everything else in South Island is under claim. Bit of fun finally visiting the places I’ve spent so much time and reading about.

2 Likes

Evening just out of curiosity would Dickey Flat Campsite be an idea don’t know much about this permit thing but found Quartz there while swimming?

As stated, there are no LEGAL fossicking areas in the North Island. By Dickys Flat I am assuming you are talking near Owharoa, Waikino where that river/creek flows into the Karangahake River. Quartz all over the Coromandel, hence all the hard rock gold mines. Any fossicking for gold needs to be done stealthy as it isn’t an allowed recognised practice. You do so at your own risk but ignorance is bliss & will most likely get you off the hook. :wink:

1 Like

That’s cool mate,hope your finding some,yeah im looking forward to it next year .

Good to hear about these hypothetical situations. :grin:

1 Like

Not hypothetical at all.

Could you please tell us what the hypothetical aspects are? I am sort of curious.

1 Like

Me too. :slight_smile: