North Island fossicking area,up dates

In case anyone is wondering it hasn’t gone away government department still on holiday till 21st January

2 Likes

anytime I have contacted govt departments re gold related issues I get a generic reply. usually contact nzpam and their generic reply is a list of public fossicking area. bloody useless as a rule but looks like they are on to some good contacts who are prepared to at least look and listen.

Slightly off topic :wink:, but came across this, which might be of interest to you guys up north:

'On the eastern side of the Tokatea Range, and south of the Tokatea Mine, is a district known as the Waikoromiko. This district was rushed some ten or more years ago ; but, after putting in a low-level and erecting a battery, the gold ran out and the place was abandoned. Last month a prospector named Sutherland came upon a well-defined leader, from which he has taken a quantity of exceedingly rich specimens. A small rush has again set in, and about a dozen claims have been marked off. It is as yet too soon to anticipate the result. A very fine nugget of nearly pure gold, weighing some eight ounces, was found in this (the Waikoromiko) creek some few months ago, and purchased by me on behalf of Dr. Yon Haast for the sum of ,£24. This nugget is now in the Indian and Colonial Exhibition.

I had a quick mosey, and it doesn’t look like there are any claims on that area. Could be worth a swing with the detector?

3 Likes

@madgoldnz…ehading up there in a few weeks will have a poke around if Im allowed to stop (ha)
FYI PAMSNZ are back Annette sent a email letting me know ,and that she will contact again in a few weeks,once they are back in the flow of things .

@Pillie76 anymore notice on your one…

Afraid not mate. No news is good news right?

Right on my friend, at least she’s staying in contact.

I have not heard back from her either, but good to know that she has not forgotten! :slight_smile:

@Golgui…are you in Hamilton ?

The latest reply from PAMS,anyone with knowledge or information would be appreciated to get it done,I will be mailing claim and permit holders,and local iwi for their veiws ,and the Thames-Karangahake no mining outfits,to be transparent and let them know,dont think there will be any trouble with them and local council,. if you want to help out let me know what it is and I will mail Annette to let her know what were doing so she can attack angles that we cant.

Hi Tom

In looking into your gold fossicking areas, under the legislation I need to look into a few specific points.

If you are interested this is called the Minerals Programme for Minerals excluding petroleum 2013 https://www.nzpam.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/our-industry/rules-regulations/minerals-programme-2013.pdf

Some of the points that need to be covered off include the follow considerations:

• the level of interest in recreational gold fossicking in respect of the land being considered as a gold fossicking area

• whether there are other gold fossicking areas in the general vicinity of the land

• the level of commercial interest in prospecting for, exploring for, or mining minerals (other than petroleum) and whether designating a gold fossicking area would be in conflict with or could negatively affect that interest

• the geology of the area and whether the land has prospecting, exploration and mining potential

• whether the land is unavailable for permitting

• if the land is unavailable for permitting, whether designating a gold fossicking area would be in conflict with the reason for the land being unavailable for permitting

• any request or comment from iwi and hapū arising from consultation.

I am working my way through the process, but any information you have on any of the above points would be appreciated in helping develop recommendations on the areas proposed.

Regards,

Annette Pocock MINERALS ADVISOR

I do not like this as it stinks of big business and the Governments ‘mates’ before the good decent honest citizen - ‘• the level of commercial interest in prospecting for, exploring for, or mining minerals (other than petroleum) and whether designating a gold fossicking area would be in conflict with or could negatively affect that interest’

It should be a case that if it is not already taken then it is available as a Public fossicking area.

1 Like

Hence why Im drafting letters off to claim holders,permit holders,local council,Iwi etc etc,its them that will shut it down if they have commercial interest in it,or just shut it down cause they dont want the average citizen “legally” prospecting,the public are all ready in there doing it “all be it illegally” maybe they want to keep that way for their own commercial interests,who knows we can only but ask, Probably also ask the local Business Association,this type of thing would definitely be in there interest for the town .
Of course all these comments are hypothetical so give it time and we will see.
Thanks Lammerlaw for your comment

1 Like

Hey Tom

I got an identical emailed yesterday after I asked how she’s getting on with my submission in November… identical.

I haven’t had a good read through but could be something above my pay grade

1 Like

Haha well I guess its easier to have a generic letter done up,easier to copy and paste eh,gonna be a long slog ahead ,but im a true believer in the squeaky wheel gets the grease,if you keep at them long enough,well above my pay grade,that link was interesting reading,Petrol and minerals for the good of all NZ at a commercial level in other words,open slather to pump the country dry,via foreign investment,dont worry about the locals.

1 Like

Agreed mate. I’ll go through it and see what I can provide or ask for in Marlborough. Any tips you find, please let me know and I’ll do the same

Fight the fight :fist:

1 Like

Personally I think you are pushing shit uphill if you think you will get a public gold fossicking area in the Coromandel district. Just my opinion. I used to live there & go fossicking any way. Kept it very low key as there is a LOT of resentment to mining there.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion
I do live there,and I do fossick, not a problem at all,

1 Like

I agree with you there JW… I spend a lot of time up Corro and as long as you only use a pan or sluice and stay low key nobody cares… I have also found Doc don’t mind either especially up Kauaeranga Valley… not that I have found anything up there yet… lol
I just get the feeling that once we make council / DOC officials aware there are people that enjoy this hobby they will make so many rules and regulations that you won’t be able to do anything at all…
Just my thoughts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks guys for your comments, appreciate it ,need more opinions / comment’s, yes / no, especially North Island members,not going to the wider community yet,gonna give it a week or two before I do that,just need a gadge.

I have felt that resentment to mining JW. A few years ago I did a metal detecting roadtrip to an old domain in a valley up behind the rail station in Karangahake gorge. I stopped for a coffee in the station cafe on the way in as I was taking the day leisurely. Later on the way home I went to buy another coffee and a snack. The lady who had served me in the morning flatly refused to serve me and loudly asked me to leave her shop. I protested but she was adamant. On the way back to the car I realized that this visit I was wearing a Minelab cap and she must have spotted the logo. Some people. :slight_smile: