My first Nox Finds

Long time lurker, first time poster.

So I got myself a Nox 800 and I am trying to learn how to use the thing.

I have tried it at the beach (Beach 1 and 2) and in parks (Park 1). I’ve set up a user profile with a 10 khz setting to see if this helps exclude bottle caps. That’s about as far as I have got with different settings so far.

First trip to the beach I find a fork. And not much else.

Second day at the beach I find a Trowel and not much else.

Then I get into various parks and beaches and I’ve come pack with fishing gear, spendies, a hair trinket, bits and bobs and rubbish.

I am still trying to figure out how to exclude the rubbish and hit something else other than coins. I’ve learnt if I get a solid 21 then its some loot. Or a bottle cap.

Most rubbish seems to come through 13 - 17. So I get tricked at the 4 and 8 sounds - more rubbish.

I’m hitting loads of rubbish (caps, foil etc) in parks.

Heres the evidence to date

8 Likes

Good haul there, the crap to quality ratio looks pretty similar to my outings with my nox! $1 and $2 generally ring up 21 or 22 so easily found but aluminium bottle caps can do the same. As for not digging crown caps , I gave up and pretty much dig everything as you really never know what you have unless you get a really deep iron tone with the discrimination off. If you run discrimination on I find that too much stuff sounds good as it hides the iron noise. At least you are finding some pie money :grinning:

Change to 4khz to test for crown caps, they’ll likely shoot up in numbers to the high 30’s. Set 4khz as a user profile so its just one quick press to check.

Thanks for that - I’l give it a shot. I all ready have a profile set for 10khz which gives caps a lift so any extra help is great.

A very successful day today. Hardly any rubbish - I choose not to dig potential rubbish signals.

2 Likes

And the treasure. A 1943 NZ penny, a 1933 Australian penny and an old army (?) button

4 Likes

Some other older finds. Any

ideas on how I clean them?

1 Like

What items were you looking to clean? As different coins, buttons etc require different methods.

The button is pretty good but the coins arent. The Euro and Pennys have green stuff on them. And even the 1, 2, 5, and 10 cent coins all have a thick brown sort of coating.

In the photo with the euro theres a relatively clean 5 cent - I hit that with the Brasso (but I don’t think that’s the best approach) the coin under it is another 5 cent

The copper nickel mix of the older decimals (5,10,20,50¢) is difficult to clean you can with a lot of elbow grease and a scotch brite pad. Some people use coin/rock tumblers.

Thanks Cosmo. I’ve given it a shot on the coins so I can at least try to find a date. Very tricky. Silvers are coming up a bit better

Thought it time to try the Nox on Gold on the West Coast. Zero luck. But nearby came up with these treasures.

Bit odd finding a sinker way inland. Found a 5 cent on the side of the road miles form anywhere. The face thing is a power meter token. And a nice new cigarette lighter cover. Its an old penny

2 Likes

Returned home and tried digging with a bit of a change in approach. Park 1 and digging signals that arent always strong.
First the junk - interesting finding bullets and toy cars in the same area,

And the treasures. Finally some silver coins. And an 1876 Penny.

Excellent - and old and untouched site.

5 Likes

Nice work a couple of silver’s and and Vicky popped up to say hi. Keep at it.

The above finds were mainly with a low sensitivity. Today took it up to 22 (park 1). Hmm. A lot more numbers popping up all over the place so now I have to learn how to separate them, 10+/- and 21 +/- seem so far to be the most successful. So to today’s finds… First jewelry. 2 pieces with who knows what metal in them. Another 6 pence and 2 Australian penny’s

2 Likes

Nice finds. I run on park1 @ 22 most of the time only cranking it up on clean white sand beaches. I find it runs really well on those setting’s.

Looks like quite the setting. Pulling out loads of treasures now

Went to the to the Nelson Creek and Slab Hut public fossicking sites during the week. I’d like to be able to post my gold finds but sadly there were none. Just some old rusty bits of steel and hot rocks in and near the creeks. Oh well.

So came back home and rescanned old area using new knowledge on target numbers. We thought silvers were 6 and 10’s so ignored higher numbers.

Went out with the six inch coil and essentially dug every thing that had solid range of numbers. Got a bit of trash but came back with these treasures. Another old penny (and a few more. Another silver (hunting hard for these now), a dig with 2 coins (sadly only a one and a 2 cent), 2 bits of jewelry and surprisingly a a gold ring. Our very first ring - and its in very good condition. Does anyone know what “PHC” means. Happy days!

5 Likes

Bloody hell SM - 18 caret for your first ring. Congrats.
The PHC will be the maker. You get all sorts but someone might know.
Cheers

1 Like