Mudwiggling through 2020

Couple of hunts since last post - Cheekiest was a 24Hr permission to detect one of the latest RSA closures before demolition tomorrow. Wasn’t a great hunt, the bowling green was sterile as expected and surrounds had a strong aroma of having being detected previously. Nevertheless, I present to you, some swingers about to get stuck into a Bowling Green! :laughing:

3 Likes

Looks fun but when you gave ADHD you ‘have’ to find something to keep the interest up. Didnt they have Seats around the edge of the bowling green where coins etc could have fallen out of pockets over the years? I know some one who got a few nice silvers around the borders of an old bowling green here a few years ago. A terrible shame about the RSA closure.

1 Like

We did the seats, official and unofficial (flower beds etc), edges where drunken squaddies could have taken a tumble on their way out of the bar, even checked out the “piss and /or settle an argument” spot out the back, I even put the teeny-tiny coil on and checked the swale drains around the site - Nada. Best find between us was a George Ha’penny. After 93 years, I was very surprised that not a single RSA badge surfaced but adds weight to the probability we weren’t the first. Closest we got was a painted name tag, probably off a wreath. Total finds between us probably amounted to 80% pull tabs and foil and a handful of old decimals. Would’ve been nice to hand over something to the RSA as a parting memory, but was not to be… The machines were to move in today.
On the upside, the RSA has relocated (retreated) to a smaller more tactical premises so is still going. We were chatted to by many passers-by yesterday, every one of which was shocked and/or angry at the closure of the original site.

it looks like the oldies may be classed as collateral damage in this post virus world

Hunt after work yesterday, tackle box of past-their-prime jigheads and a very silly knife. Bracelet is Kiddy-Bling

2 Likes

Perhaps Arnie Schwarzenegger was out here fishing - certainly looks like his knife or the sort he would carry as CoNan the Barbarian.

An interesting days find though. The tackle box at least can be recycled and used to put things in I guess.

1 Like

i like a more interesting box to put my tackle in. prick of a place. not big enough either.
great find though

2 Likes

Lots of hunts but can’t be arsed to post em all.

What’s the opinion on this? .45 Adams? Came from the same spot as that dustbin @Lammerlaw
All dimensions are in Milometres by vernier caliper

2 Likes

Yes I think that you have hit the nail on the head. I am 99 percent certain that you have a .450 Adams MkII - (separate brass disc base) introduced in 1877. The earlier MkI ammunition had a separate steel disc base and was introduced in 1868 while the later MkIII ammunition was a solid drawn brass case introduced in 1909.

It could also be used in the .455 Webley revolvers which came later but was not as powerful. The .455 superseded it.

Most commonly made by Eley and also Kynoch. Later you will see shotgun shells marked Eley - Kynoch.

Yours is quite normal to have no markings. Some had a broad arrow on the base to denote British Military issue.

2 Likes