Mudwiggling through 2020

@Lammerlaw I never knew such a thing as a dustbin bullet existed. Thanks or the lesson, piqued my interest!

I am an encyclopedia of shit that no one wants to know about however be warned that if no one knows what something is and you make up an identification for it - then history can be altered forever!

The Dustbin bullet was actually quite a novel item as it contained the powder inside the little ‘dustbin’ and this did away with the necessity of fumbling with a powder flask. There was however a better system during the same era and that was the paper cartridge - the paper held both the projectile and the powder.
In the photo of the green lined cased British Beaumont Adams revolver above you will see two white cylinders - they are original 1860s Eley 54 bore paper cartridges containing conical bullet plus gunpowder and they sure beat loading the components separately. These are also quite scarce today but no where near as scarce as a dustbin cartridge.

4 Likes

Is that an old kerosene lamp winder from an Aladdin or older Miller type lamp with the screw thread around it in the second to bottom photo?

1 Like

Roadtrip today, braving hail and angry Pied Stilts… Back into the rings with a couple of 925’s and a pair of veteran fishing spinners. Unable to locate on web, but look to be first half of 1900’s at a guess. Also a large carbon/graphite rod. First thought was searchlight, but they are surprisingly thin, so may be a brush out of a huge electric motor - which also raises questions given the location, which is far removed from any houses, heavy industry or shipping…

4 Likes

bloody hell so much cool stuff
.thanks for the share

1 Like

Love it. Some great stuff. Hardly any rings in the deep south. Must be the Scottish traits still existant in the population…cant be the cold weather keeping people from the beach.

1 Like

The rod might be a battery core. I am thinking old telephone batteries.

1 Like

bottom lure is i think a devon minnow,certanly pre 1950.

1 Like

What can I say? Capping off a perfect evening by discovering that a blingy “copper” Hei Tiki I dug was in fact 1930’s era sterling. Assume nothing with crusties :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That tiki is a cracker and it must have been a surprise how it turned out. Marvellous.

2 Likes

This particular beach is odd, some wierd chemical thing has gone on with everything I’ve dug here. Possibly a result of a super-rich calcium solution in the groundwater coupled with the salt (there’s ponded freshwater that percolates out through the beach) . Reckon if you lay on the beach too long sunbathing you’d sit up with shells adhered to the nether regions… Even modern decimals come up with that crispy coating.

Ahhh good finds by the master.is that a nox in the pic.?? Thought were an excal man??

Tis a Frankenstein Excal with swappable coils :slight_smile: Pictured here with the “Dustbin Lid” coil

Ahhhh.tweak tweak i see

Roads finally clear enough to check out some washouts at the local. Pic is deceptive, this particular one was 2m deep to the water and another metre of water in the hole. Plenty of holes dug through the day which yielded a couple of unremarkable silver rings and a bit of ugly old gold, hallmarks worn away, but has the lustre and colour of a 14ct+. 1935 Half crown was coin of the day, dug well encrusted but came up nice in the old electrolysis zapper-vat. Been a long while since I got a big silver.

Emptying of the pouch

Big ferrous top left turned out to be a hefty thread-cutting tap, the sort every engineer takes to the beach!

Before and after

8 Likes

Fair bit of water came down my gauge overflowed at 180mm
Worst thing was having to drive past all the cuts yesterday so we could give priority to needed dug out first

1 Like

Nice big silver …thats a lot of holes

Nice effort. What’s the button?

Illegible, but working away at it slowly under the 'scope…

1 Like

Nice job cleaning the half crown! End result looks natural - skills indeed!