Karangahake gorge SH 2

Hi
Does anyone know if panning in the Karangahake gorge is permitted and if so are there any specs to be found. I’m a kiwi in aussie but will be staying in waihi.
Any other suggestions welcome. Cheers.

1 Like

No legal public fossicking areas in the North Island. But I am sure you will be ok if just panning, or even using a sluice box. If some tree hugging, frog arse licking greeny reads you the riot act just plead ignorance & that you didn’t know & mlove on somewhere else. You will be pushing shit up hill to find anything in the K gorge. Been there done that. While I did find some very fine flour gold it most likely came from gold lost in their hard rock mine tailings. Not known for alluvial gold but hard rock gold in the sulphides of the mineralised rock. Very tricky to process.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Thanks heaps JW. I might have a bit of a play for something to do in the outdoors. Leave my sniffer bottle at home eh. Cheers :+1:

1 Like

You never know your luck but there are better options in the Coro than K gorge. Not wanting to be a kill joy. There are some nice scenic walks around the K gorge though & it is an interesting area to have a nosey around. I used to live in Waihi so have spent many hours searching around that general area.

1 Like

Thanks again JW. I guess you can’t be specific but generally would any streams in the Coro be worth a pan?. I also have a detector if that’s the go as well.
Cheers :+1:

1 Like

Hi Geoff, I’m trying to map the mines up the mountain and explore a bunch round there incl. the odd pan here or there just for fun. Want to do a few round the Coro trips to try out some streams if you’re bored and want to come some time. JW, you seem like a big brained legend, you wouldn’t of come across any info re: level 2 portal at all would you? Trying to find some of the higher levels recently.

Keen to come along for exploring the Coromandel… Basically free most weekends, but no experience when it comes to exploring mines…

1 Like

Most of the creeks in Thames, Karaka and north you can usually find plenty more than K.g.
Dig deep and pan out the depths, always found something in the pan and lots of neat stone.

1 Like

Maratoto would be a good dig too.

1 Like

How far up the Thames creeks are you going? Or is anywhere just as likely?

From right by town to well up, anywhere there were old workings.

6 Likes

Thanks Tom
That sounds interesting. I’ll definitely stay in touch and look forward to any info.
Cheers

Nice pics. Are you detecting threre as well?
Which area in the Coro?Cheers.

Thanks for the pics Harold. Can you say where?
Cheers

Half the fun of finding gold is finding it for yourself from doing research & doing the hard yards out in the field chasing up on that research. Just like most people who have had a bit of success have done. It amazes me how people come out of the woodwork & want & expect you to hold their hand & be taken or told exactly where to go to find gold.
Where is your sense of adventure of seeking it for yourself? That way you learn what to look for & that is all part of the journey. The reality is that no gold is easy gold but it is there.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:.

5 Likes

Tararu tailings and Karaka creek, as JW, all the fun is exploring, however I wish people had pointed me more to the source in my short stay there, there’s no treasure trove to hide :smile: the gold content is ridiculous to almost non existent, but my rock collection is interesting. Explore with open eyes, there’s so much more in the area than gold. As they all say: dig deep to bedrock, that’s pretty much the ‘golden’ rule in corro.

3 Likes

You are on to it Harold. The buckets full of rocks I brought home from my gold fossicking days in the Coro was ridicules. I am like a bloody magpie & just couldn’t help myself. Kauri gum too. Oh, & a bit of gold on occasions as well. But you won’t make your fortune on the gold, but it isn’t always about the gold. The gold is just an excuse for getting out there.

A few bits from a quick arvo detect last Sunday. Won’t be quitting my day job. :wink: Oh, Not from the Coro either but down Queenstown way.

4 Likes

“Yes JW” you sure had a rockery leading up to your house from memory, I do recall a lot of various coloured Jasper! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Is that you Mr Artz? :slightly_smiling_face:
Yes HEAPS of jasper, quartz & quartz crystals, bit of obsidian, amethysts, carnelian etc. And to think when I came down to QT I chucked most of it back into a river. :roll_eyes: :cry:

Yes Johnny,
love the feed back everyone contributes to the different topics posted…keep it up!

1 Like