Gold - then and now

Sorry about that JW! Struck while the fingers were hot. I think I’ll get GT to upskill me, seeing it sounds like he’s going to have one in each hand.:joy:

Do you mean to say you and l might have competed to get it.
It was a great price l thought.

I have an Equinox for one hand and the Gold Monster for the other but for a technological retard like me the Gold Monster takes the cake…its Zombie proof!

Its a killer on showlow small gold nothing can compete best lower end detector on the market even tops high range VHF priced stuff dredge nz best support and backup out there

Yer sorry Mr T, but I was too slow also. I, like you, already have one so do I really need another one? :roll_eyes: I did have two & sold one & here I am crying that I missed that one. Gold does funny things to people, none more so than me. :laughing: Maybe I should just get the GPX 6000…9k’s a bit of coin though. :scream: Might have to sell a kidney. :joy:

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

You do pretty well with your Gold Monster Mr T. I have witnessed it. :wink:

Shhh you dont know me! You didnt see anything and beside according to one of the experts here there is no gold on my place and like all experts he will be right.
I tend to buy things even though I need another one simply because…I dont know really…maybe I want another one simply because I want another one.
Has that got anything to do with that strange saying with sexual connotations that, ‘A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand?’

No…I don’t know you. I am only going by the photo & yarn you told in the above post.

You know what an expert is?

Ex for unknown quantity & spurt for a drip under pressure. :laughing:

Isn’t that saying, A bird in the hand it worth two in the bush. :thinking:

I dont know me either - for some reason I pop up with these sayings and statements that I didnt know I knew which seems to indicate that I dont know me. When I got up this morning I clearly heard myself say “Who in fuck are you?” when I looked in the mirror. That seems to be further proof enough that I dont know me.
I thought Ex was the woman who shot off with the milkman and did a person for all she could and Pert means ‘Program Evaluation and Review Technique’ which features widely in sexual health manuals specifically written for those who dont actually know how to ‘do it’
I think the bird in hand saying is actually a munted version of ‘A bird with a bush is worth two in the can’ - can referring to prison

A sample of gold I found over the course of a few days some years ago now all nice nuggety stuff. All found with a Goldbug. All found in the same area which is evident by the texture and colour of the sample.

13 Likes

Visited an 84 yr old guy this a.m. Been into rocks of all types for years and had a big collection of stuff he’d detected around bay of islands etc. Military buttons, coins, musket balls …you name it. I held a 1oz nugget he found in WA. And he found a 14oz piece in a public area with a minelab.
Was impressed by his newest detector, a french Deus. Wireless, very light and lots of modes. But very small screen display. Detachable and smaller than some smartphones.
Great gold there, Lammerlaw!

1 Like

He sounds my type of guy. I always wanted to go to some Maori Wars battlefield with a bulldozer (did I say that) just to get a cannon ball or parts thereof.
I have a fascination for the far north and the Maori Wars. My wifes Great great grandfather sold gunpowder and I also believe guns to the Maoris in the far north - this is my kids great great great grandfather and mention of one of his ships’-
‘The Peacocks returned to trade gum at Hokianga, and gun powder for the Maori chief Patuone during the ‘troubles’ with Hone Heke. They were suspected of gun running and at one stage the Guide was closely shadowed by a British cruiser.
HONE HEKE AND THE NORTHLAND TROUBLES’ - During Hone Heke’s war, the Guide lay in the Hokianga River where the Peacocks frequently saw large war canoes going up the river with natives, stripped to the waste, painted, embellished with feathers and armed. “I have seen as many as a hundred and ten men in a war canoe. There would be two Maoris standing up gesticulating and flourishing each his double-barrelled gun, beautifully polished, and singing a native song to give the time to the others, who were paddling and who joined in the song.”
According to Peacock jnr, a young native who was the brother of Tāmati Wāka Nene, induced them to supply him with a 28 lb key of powder, despite the prohibition. This was used in cartridges against Hone Heke, who was wounded. A few days later, Peacock received a message of thanks from Tāmati Wāka Nene for supplying the powder for what he called ‘ Pikaka’s fight ‘ – as he could not say ‘ 'Peacock’ ’
So much for history!

I had always wanted to go to Australia to look for gold but getting a bit past it now maybe.
I had heard of those detectors but dont know a thing about them.

I just read The Forgotten Wars…why the musket wars matter today…Ron Crosby. Pretty tough going, unbelievable what the tangata whenua did to each other in the pursuit of utu. I’ve visited the spot south of omamari on the beach where muskets were first used.
I’ve just started on Diggers, Hatters and Whores. The story of the nz gold rushes. 500 page tome lots of pics and maps. Right up your alley i would think.

Need to put that history on paper old mate Im in for a copy before our history is distorted to hell and back or maybe it’s to late !

That gold cant have come from your place as there is no gold there.

Thats dead right - secret location.

The good things about no gold on my place is that no one goes looking for it!

I dont think I know the Forgotten Wars Book - I have just bought a real good one called ‘The Musket Wars’
I like ‘Diggers, Hatters and Whores’ but the sexism and racism in it is wicked! It more or less seems to infer that the Chinese on the Goldfields only had one option and that was to be gay! It also seems to insinuate that any woman on the goldfields was a woman of ill repute and any woman who married a Chinese miner was the lowest of the low.
I found that pretty poor and an indictment on the author. none the less I do like the book. It ha smissed out a lot though and although it goes on a lot about the murders and carrying of firearms etc ont he gold fields it does not mention the exchange of pistol shots at Gabriel’s Gully between Sergeant Trembill and Burgess and Kelly. One of the nasties armed with one revolver and the other with two revolvers, most likely Colt revolvers Model 1851s stolen from Mills Gunshop in Dunedin.
I dont think it mentions the shooting of the shop keeper from Switzers either and the theft of his revolver, gold and money. Its still a good book and I have a copy here beside me…

Im not the writing type though that account is actually on internet. Dont tell anyone but I got part of my kids family history from this article which is a great read. John Peacock and his Controversial Fountain – Lost Christchurch

My Mudder in law hated my guts and was very prim proper and la-de-da and so far up her own bum that its a wonder she didnt turn inside out but I wish she had lasted long enough to tell her the history of her great great grandmother! She came out as a convict (Not the mudder in law but her great great grandmother) - She was caught stealing drapery (My mudder in laws Great great grandmother would NEVER do that Mwahahahaha) Her trade was PROSTITUTE! Well fuck me my mudder in law would have apoplexy if she knew that. The ship took 11 months to get to Australia from England - I wonder why? The floating brothel: The most scandalous convict ship of all - NZ Herald

3 Likes

You’re a bloody worry you are… :joy:

Who is? Not me! No ones worried about me…in fact more than one person looks at the death notices every day with their fingers crossed!