Gold Books for sale

Clearing out old Gold Books from storage
let me know if anyone have interest in any before I list them on Trade Me in a week or so
$ give me an reasonable offer…
Cheers Henry

How about 200 for the lot

I will give you $250 :grinning:

1 Like

Just back from a night out and have had a whole lot of good offers messaged to me , private and on this page .
I will have a look at everything tomorrow and let the highest bidder know
Cheers Henry.

What an awesome collection!

1 Like

Great collection. Noted some really good books there. Kawarau Gold is the story of the McGeorges and their dredging venture, Lady Ranfurly dredge etc and is quite hard to get now as are two or three of the others. Golden Cobweb is interesting to me as it gives my grt grt grandfathers account of Bully Hayes whom he knew. Love to hear what you get for them.

1 Like

Hi Mangrove, That is a reasonably fair & honest offer I reckon for both parties. I too have a massive collection of NZ gold history books. I started out getting them for my own interest on the subject & to do my research on the likely places to go to find gold. I realised very early on when hunting out these type of books that they had a real value as they are no longer printed & are factual information.
During my search & starting my collection I saw that some of the books commanded a fairly high price, especially from book dealers. Even on trademe some got quite high prices. Then I would see the same book, different auction, go for way cheaper. So I jumped on the bandwagon & played the game of buying “cheap” knowing what they can go for. So of course my collection grew out of control. :roll_eyes:
I have ended up with many copies of the same publications & some very rare indeed. Kind of my way of investing my money It has been a fascinating journey, not buying the books but reading them & the info within.
Good luck Henry. I would be very interested in what you accept for them.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Might be of interest to someone out there some names and signature …
J.D SALMOND From Hearts of Gold Book
Neville Putekie ? Cromwell , From The Golden Cobweb Book.
M Haslemore From Gold Trails of Otago book.

I have received a generous offer of $ 300 from a member of PayDirt that I will accept
Cheers Henry

3 Likes

The $300 offer was a very fair offer. Four of those books are very good ones and very desirable indeed.

1 Like

Sounds like a win for both parties…congrats there was some good old books there

1 Like

Slightly off topic, but here’s my book purchase from the weekend. 1st edition signed by the author

6 Likes

Thats a cracker and although I have seen it I am not sure if I have it or not - I dont actually think I have but I do know that somewhere (SOMEWHERE) I have Waiuta Ghosts by Ed Chandler - I havent seen it for thirty years but will still have it - must go look! I bought it when I worked near Waiutu in a past life…it seems that long ago.

2 Likes

If anybody is interested I can offer the same books that Henry did & open to reasonable offers as well. I will add that my copies are all in good condition. I can put up pics if you want. Cheers

1 Like

Hey mate - Thanks for your offer but do you have any other books or old geological reports or maps on the Queenstown area or even any other areas in central Otago?

Im trying to build up my collection

Cheers

Hi Kiwijw, definately keen to see your books

Hi there prich385. I do have quite a few old geological reports that are all well over 100 years old but I only have the one copy of those & they aren’t really for sale for that reason. If you are ever over Queenstown way you are very welcome to come & have a look at them. Ones I think you would be interested in are from the New Zealand Department of Mines New Zealand Geological Survey Bulletins: The Geology Of The Area Covered By The Alexandra Sheet, Central Otago. Including the survey districts of Leaning Rock, Tiger Hill and Poolburn by James Park professor of Mining & Mining Geology in the University of Otago. Printed in 1906.
Another is The Geology of the Queenstown Subdivision, Western Otago. Again by James Park. Printed in 1909.
The Geology & Mineral Resources of the Reefton Subdivision. Westport & North Westland Divisions by J Henderson. Printed in 1917.
The Geology of the Coromandel Subdivision, Hauraki, Auckland. By Colin Fraser, assisted by James Henry Adams. Printed in 1907.
Others are by James Hector. Reports of Geological Explorations during various years, from the early 1880’s to early 1890’s With Maps & Sections. These cover the whole countries mining districts & individual mines.
Like I said, you are welcome to come have a browse through them & photograph any maps or things of interest.
As to others books. Do you know of any or have in mind some that are of interest to you, outside of the ones in Henry’s pics. I just may have it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Mangrove. I am getting the books together to get some pics for you. I just have to find two more books to complete the package. They are somewhere in a banana box buried in the back of my storage container. :roll_eyes: They are all in very good condition & some in as new condition & one is even brand new & unopened from its plastic wrapping. If you have any other books in mind I may just have them too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

perhaps i should put together some of my books on gold. apparently not allowed books where im going… never mind they do keep a good fire going .

Be like me and get mummified and buried in a container with all your goodies - book shelf with books - a few bottles of plonk - .45-70 or in my case .50-70, secret gold hoard - a willing (or unwilling) concubine and failing that a sex doll.

I’m always keen on expanding my library. Prepared to ‘bulk’ buy.