Paydirt Home Locations Permit Map Equipment & Services Gold Price Old Forum Archive Donate Search

Floating Gold - A Natural (and Unnatural) History of Ambergris

and here’s a good Podcast from Kemp:

http://think.kera.org/2012/06/12/a-history-of-ambergris/

Thanks Matty for the photos,podcast and website,all very interesting and just a few more clues to go on in the pursuit of this elusive (floating gold).
Great to see all your adventures down the southern isles too…very cool!
I’ll be combing my local Wairarapa south coast even if it does take a life time to find…cheers Mal

@mattybaba thanks for all the extra info, finding the whole ambergris scene quite interesting and intriguing!

sweet runner Gavin, I’ve all.ways enjoyed ya posts, so cheers back at ya! (i’m one of those critters who feels i got way more to learn than share when it comes to gold) … feel free to hit me with any questions regarding gris if ya got any burning questions!

Nice one Mal… get out there and have a look for sure - ya certainly cant spot it from the couch!.. try and find those spots on the coast that are concentrating ocean flotsam (pumice, fishing floats & ropes, etc) to maximise ya time… i always say to spend 90% of your time on 10% / the most intersesting parts of the coast… creekheads can be good spots, but also more prone to river driftwood / visual pollution… indentations in flat bits of coast… anything that can catch stuff… but yeah, ocean flotsam are ya best indications for the rare chance there may be some gris about…happy hunting!

1 Like

Thats a great tip Matty,just like gold you need to concentrate efforts in the most likely places,might have to get the family another dog,one with a good nose,unlike my last dog who would refuse to get off the couch…lol.Thanks again

I spent 6mths working in the Chathams in the mid nineties and used to find whale vertebrae in the dunes near Waitangi…if only I’d known what else to look for!!!

2 Likes

Hey sorry i haven’t logged on to Paydirt for ages and missed ya post - yep the Chathams defo gets a little gris!

FYI

Be worth a few quid…

3 Likes

Nice chunk of ambergris found by someone else.

3 Likes

A recent find reported in the news…

2 Likes

51 grams found today :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve been looking for that stuff for years. Im up in northland on the eastcoast and whether through ignorance or its just not here I don’t know but we’ll done
Can I ask what’s a piece that weight worth

Don’t know the price, seems to vary a lot.
Once we had the genuine piece to compare it to it became alot easier to find.
You have probably found it and thought 'nah" and chucked it.
Similar size and quality chunk went for $360 on trademe recently

Also be very cautious who you give money or ambergris to. This stuff does worse things to people heads than gold.

Cheers for that stuck a few hot needles in quite a few sponges
Will keep looking

15 posts were split to a new topic: Uranium in New Zealand

A post was merged into an existing topic: Uranium in New Zealand

will steer this back on the right topic…An old girlfriend of mine(she was not old but this was a while ago)took me to her family crib at Bull Creek, it was located very close to the coast and was starting to suffer the effects of the rising sea so her dad started to build a new sea wall to which the DCC took exception to resulting in a $10,000 legal battle over it’s construction…inside the crib amongst the collection of flotsam collected over the years was a strange mottled waxy blob on the shelf about the size of a large elongated potato…I picked it up and asked the father if he knew what it was to which he replied that he only picked it up many years ago because he had seen nothing like it and thought it was unusual so picked it up…well I told him that I think it could be Ambergris and he should have someone look at it and to keep it in a more secure place. That day I had glued a four leaf clover to the wall(true story) this I have been told worked very well as the DCC stopped its legal action over the wall…my girlfriends father sold the strange waxy blob for I think a few thousand and built a new sea wall with the money :slight_smile:

3 Likes