Erics page once again

that button is very cool nice job

1 Like

2 hour lonesome night hunt, 6 more silvers including a 1858 shilling, also a 1946 American 1 cent…and the usuall stuff

3 Likes

Some real nice finds Eric! I’ve got to admit I’m a little jealous. Just wondering how you clean up your silvers though, just a rinse under the tap or is there more to it? Cheers

1 Like

Cheers m8, not sure what part of the country you are in, I’m just lucky to be in Christchurch where there seems to be a lot of areas to hunt in, and I did find an area earlier this year that had been completely untouched.
The last few posts /finds are all from Hagley, I’ve just adopted a new strategy of a higher sensitivity, picking an area, gridding it and swinging low and slow with about a 2 foot wide swing, this seems to have paid off, basically picking up left overs.
With my silvers, I pop them in Cloudy ammonia which you can get from most supermarkets for about 15 mins, then a quick scrub with a toothbrush, after that I rub baking soda on them between my fingers to try and get the muck off that doesn’t shift and make them shine, then rinse in water.
Must add though, if you find a coin that’s a rare date, or just rare I wouldn’t clean it, other than that most silver coins are only worth the silver value.

4 Likes

Sunday hunt with No8wire, 10 wee silvers, an Old 9ct Gold ring, 1920s or 30s Mickey mouse badge, a 1920s style plated brooch of a women walking a dog, a boy scouts badge and the usual pennies etc.

4 Likes

nice ring ,gold is good.

Back from a weekend marathon of detecting further south with No8wire, great to meet up with Tony, who put us up for a couple days, thanks m8.
Also caught up with Iggy for a hunt, did manage a couple of silvers Brian so it was well worth it, but more so to catch up, see the sites and learn some local history.
Ok well over the 3 days I managed 26 Silvers, including a bucket lister 1918 Australian Florin, 3 half crowns and a couple oldies, bullhead and William sixpences.
Also what I thought was 4 trade tokens in one hole, this has been downgraded to 3 trade tokens and an early 1850s penny ( yet to have a proper clean)
Military hat badge, silver rosary, mixture of pennies with some nice old vickies, Condom tin, and a old co-op dairy cooper tag.

5 Likes

great silver count.some nice old stuff,good work

1 Like

Some nice keepers in that lot. Gee a Trade Token spill! That’s something you don’t come across everyday… very nice.
I enjoyed our wee outing, shame we didn’t unearth something super cool. ( That first spot suprised me a little,[although I have hammered it]. I thought something good would emerge with both the T2 and F75 going for it). Maybe next time, and hopefully time will be on our side to.

3 Likes

Hi Erick,nice going there,love the silver,in particular the bulls head,that ones on my bucket list,oh well one day it might turn up,well done.

1 Like

Sunday hunt with No8wire to a spot where its been gone over so many times, but still producing.
10 Silvers including a 1831 King William Sixpence, a WW2 (I think ) hat badge a nice old silver buckle ring, and the other usual pennies and bits.

3 Likes

Try lemon juice, it really does the trick. Nice finds btw, gotta love them silver coins :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice finds Eric. Dig that 1831 sixpence.

1 Like

Cheers, I usually use Cloudy ammonia which works well, with the 1831 Sixpence it came out all battleship grey so just rubbed that between tin foil and a bit of water, came out nice, thanks Tonznz for the tip

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing those Trade Tokens cleaned up.

Great to see you still vacuuming up the silver.

Quick 2 hours at the old coastal silver mine, keeps getting harder but did manage 4 wee silvers and another bit of Gold, 2.0 Grams of 15ct what looks like a cufflink or collar stud… any ideas ? and aslo found an 1860 penny.

6 Likes

nice gold looks like a cufflink,still finding the silversnice work.havent heard from no 8 lately is all good with andrew.

1 Like

Far out! It’s beautiful. Did you get excited when you saw the number on your detector?

1 Like

Cool Eric, something silver, something GOLD, something old.

HH

1 Like

Cheers Roy, yes Andrews still at it, just a bit harder going in summer with places to go…winter is always the best time