Cosmo's finds enjoy

I’m no toy expert but it’s definitely a lead toy I haven’t seen and I have seen a few from Wellington harbour.

1 Like

Hi guys here is my better finds from January. Happy to find a KG3 sixpence on the the 1st.

6 Likes

Those British shillings are in good nick, nice detecting!

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah one of them is crisp😁

Great work Cosmo gold collection going up

1 Like

Thanks Roy getting there slowly. Gave it another go today had to settle for 4 silver rings and a junker.

1 Like

Great start for the year CC. Looks like a bit of amethyst or kunzite in there.
well done.
HH

1 Like

Cheers mate. Not a bad start hopefully a few more yellows before the end of summer.

2 Likes

Some finds since my last post.

5 Likes

Nice finds, that half crown is a doozy

1 Like

Cheers mate. Looking forward to the summer water hunting season again.

Great condition Half Crown - you were a winner there.

1 Like

Thanks. My favorite is the WW2 silver fern sweetheart broach for the 38th field artillery regiment which served in the Pacific on the Solomon islands and Guadalcanal etc.

You will probably find that the D 38 Silver fern is D Company and 38 for 38th Reinforcements - WWI
They left NZ in the Balmoral Castle 2nd May 1918, Ionic on 16th may 1918, the Athenic on the 13th June 1918 and the Remuera 15th june 1918.

Fantastic badge and I would rather find it than a gold half sovereign!

You are correct in stating that there was a 38th Field Artillery regiment which served in the Pacific. Commanded by Lieutenant Colonel W.A.Bryden. One battery only landed on Treasury Island having left from Guadalcanal. on 26th October. They saw action on Treasury Island. Around 29th October elements of the 38th were in action firing their guns having been emplaced along the harbour coast of Stirling Island. They never had an official history book like more noted battalions had. I am a committee member of the RSA and also in charge of memorabilia and have never seen much reference to the 38th. Ironically enough I met a chap at Government house some time ago who had a distinguished career in that theatre of war. he wrote a book and it is amazing.

Unfortunately however - or maybe better as it makes it more valuable - your fantastic badge is WWI - 38th reinforcements.

1 Like

Thank you for the correction. I didn’t think it was that old as it was just below the surface. Cheers.

1 Like

Good to see you haven’t lost your touch CC. Nice collection.
HH