A morning in the life of a detectorist

A fabulous start to the day…love the gold.

1 Like

well done mate, Beautiful gold.

1 Like

Back in the swing alright good score… Almost forgotten what it’s like to find a ring the closest I’ve got is wiping my arse

2 Likes

Very nice MB.
2am start seems a bit keen. Wasn’t the tide still way in?

1 Like

Thanks Chris.
No, I was working the dry sand areas and at that hour I’m not climbing over half naked bodies or having to answer those silly damn questions. Can then concentrate on the job in hand.
Cheers

That’s a nice chunky one MB congrats.

1 Like

Out and about over last couple of day and managed a Harley Davidson ring, (picked up this morning) a nice white gold 9 ct 5.56 gramer and a stainless.
Picked up the 9 ct after swinging for 2.5 hours and only getting about 13 cents so gave up swinging and was headed back to the car just straight lining the coil (not swinging) and bugger me days if I don’t get a target. Look down and the wind was just blowing the sand off to expose the ring. Just had to bend down and pick it up. Happy days.
Cheers

3 Likes

Nailed another couple this morning. Stainless and Sterling. Enjoying these low tides.
HH

3 Likes

In my travels I often come across some very interesting characters both standing and horizontal.
Here a few of those horizontal ones that many of you will know and are currently residing at the Wakapuaka Cemetery in Nelson.
Firstly Thomas Brunner.

Next is the famous George Moonlight.
Cl Close up. Note the pick and shovel above.
Next are those who were murdered by the Burgess Gang on the Maungatapu. At the base is poor old James Battle who they murdered the day before for the princely sum of 3 pound 16 shillings.

Also in the Cemetery is the artist John Gully

3 Likes

Wow …very interesting!! our gold bearing forfathers!!

Absolutely marvellous - thanks for sharing - I had heard and read much about George Moonlight and Thomas Brunner but never knew where they were buried so this is a revelation to me. I love it. Coincides well with a book that someone recently gave me a loan of to read ‘Murder on the Maungatapu’ By Wayne Martin.

Thanks Lammerlaw.
Yeap I have a great interest in the Maungatapu murders. I got Wayne Martins book a couple of years back and as a result got quite involved with it and a bit of detecting work. From there I managed to get a copy of the original book which was reprinted in 1924 I thing. In this book it talks about how Burgess wrote his memoirs of his life etc and his side of the story while in the goal in Nelson awaiting trial. He left them in the care of the Governor of the prison who refused to return them to Burgess.

So I was of the understanding that this was never printed. Low and behold if I didn’t see on Trademe a few months back Confession of Richard Burgess for sale. I grab it straight away. and most interesting read. (can’t find it at the mo as we have recently shifted house and she’s probably mixed it with her woman weekly or something)

Anyway from that I also found another book on the subject called “Death round the bend”, by J Halket Miller. This in fact I just finished reading today and an excellent account. PM me with your address and you can borrow it LL. I’m going away on Wednesday for a week or so biking in Hawkes Bay so can’t sent till I get back.

So much more has been written in books and articles including people like Mark Twain when he was here in 1895.
I was talking to an old retired copper (not Trev) and he was given the charge of looking after all the old police exhibits from the case. I need to follow that one up.

Anyway the subject is very intriguing.

1 Like

Back in the swing again after been side tracked for a couple of weeks. Picked up the middle ring, 9 carat 5.95 grams today. Have a couple coming around tomorrow to pick it up. The lost it a five days ago.

HH

3 Likes

Well bugger me. The gold band ring that the owner asked me to find yesterday turned out to be the wrong one. There’s is somewhat heavier and wider. Guess I have to go back and try again.
Love finding extra gold rings while looking for someone else’s.
HH

3 Likes

So I’m out there trying to find this lost ring today and get a nice hit in the earphone - thinking that’s it

But no. It’s a 18 carat 6.63 grammer. Nice. So onwards and upwards and then another hit. Again it’s not it but a 9 carat 2.93 grammer. Fed up looking for the lost one I hit the low low tide and up comes a wee one looking like silver but with a gold tone. I cound’nt be that lucky. Head for home and clean them up, The third ring turned out to be a 9 carat 2.27 grammer.
Not bad four gold in two days and hopefully another to come. Might see if I can put a claim on that bit of beach. :laughing:
HH

5 Likes

Wow good going .what type of machine are you using for the low tide work?

Hi Soutz
I’m swing a CTX 3030 for dry and wet sand. I use a Excal 11 in the tide.
Good luck

Nothing wrong with with bycatch

1 Like

Setting here driving her mad, the shakes are getting worst as I can’t get a fix. Been walking round the house with my detecting headphones on pretending. Even the neighbours think I’ve lost the plot. So decided to write up a list of my collection mainly on early nz gold.
Haven’t included any detecting books)
Always on the look out to add. Anyone got any suggestions of titles?
Stay safe

3 Likes

I thought I had a few , but im pretty sure you have some there that are missing off my shelf.

1 Like