A morning in the life of a detectorist

Hi AKLGUY

General rule is if it’s not gold then it’s a waste of time trying to find the owner. Gold rings etc can be handed in the the police and after something like six weeks if not claimed you get it offered back to you. Careful with this one as you are usually only given five days to claim otherwise it goes into the police fund or somewhere. You don’t want to be out of town.

Next there is and old law in NZ that says you can be charged with “theft by finding” meaning that if someone who has lost something can take you to court for not handing the item over to them. Never heard of a case yet.

Also valuable item are generally insured, so the person who has lost the item then gets paid out by the insurance and then the item becomes the property of the insurance company. This means the original owner no longer owns the item.

Hope that helps.

HH

first thing you have to do is visit your doctor to be come certified crazy/mad . I have been may times along with members on the forum backing up the medical teams. there are a couple of others that have been as well but not allowed to mention names.

1 Like

Thanks.
Although if I lost something like a ring and someone found it I would hope they handed it in.

If you want to search beaches, it is best to do after a storm right? (or right after a busy day)

:crazy_face:
Booked in to go tomorrow

2 Likes

After storms and busy times but can be done all year round. Just get out there. Plenty of reseach on Utube AND fill your holes in.
Good luck.

Good old “Ocean Jewellers” (that’s what the Missis calls it) hasn’t been open much lately, but late last night I scored three rings.
Two Sterling and a junker. All been there for a few years I would say.
HH

4 Likes

Love the name I suppose my local would be bottle top bay🤣

Don’t worry Chris, I know Bottle Top Bay VERY well. :sweat_smile:
HH

First Au for 2020. 9 ct weighting in at 4.54 grams.

HH

10 Likes

Very nice ring is the violin junk?

Hi Chris
Yeap the violin is junk. The ring has a nice bit of twinkle in it though.
Cheers

Hell for a minute I thought it was a golden viledin!

1 Like

2am start this morning. Someone had obviously been through this particular beach before me as it took an hour or so to get even a dollar. Perseverance paid off and I called it quits after five hour with a 18 ct white gold .A sterling with a sapphire which will clean up nice and a 14 ct to boot.
HH

9 Likes

Very nice MM well done mate

1 Like

Pasting through a certain Capital city with a few hours to spare and managed to land three sterling and one stainless, You’ve just got to love this hobby.
HH

5 Likes

I can see it in the near future - ‘Musketball’s Pawn, Rings, Second Hand Jewellery and Scrap Merchant Extraordinaire’ - great going and you never cease to amaze me. Love your posts and always expecting to get a surprise.

1 Like

Just had a quick squiz back 8 rings for the first month :+1:

2 Likes

“Pawn” No sorry to busy detecting for that LL. “Ocean Jewellers” she calls it.

Thank Chris. Down a bit on previous years but been busy with other projects. 3 Au’s though so happy about that. Managed to return one. Just getting back into the swing now.
HH

1 Like

Early start this morning. 2am. Was worth it as I netted 1 titanium, 2 sterling and a 9 carat 10.67 grammer.
Time for breakfast.
HH

7 Likes