Why? Why do I do this?

Nice finds and great post. Love that pistol!

Because you luv it.
Welcome to the .38 club.

:beers:

3 Likes

Revisited the old school site this morning before the rain.
Hit the jackpot - Pennies, pennies and more pennies (and a half)
Oldest was an Edward VII
Nothing else though, no fence staples, no lead head nails, nothing but pennies - Which was weird.

Definitely be back to see what I missed.

6 Likes

Nice!! In your own words just have to clean out the pesky penny’s to get into the sneaky silvers lol and being a school site must be plenty of sixpences & thrups…just have to work out where the rich kids had their lunch to get a sneaky sov!!

Now that’s the sort of site I really really want to find ! Bound to be some of those sneaky silvers there somewhere. Just gotta find where. Good score

You found someones stash!

Not really - these were all singles. Would love to hit a decent coin spill.

As an aside, found this pic…of a pic on the internet which I think sums up the links with the past we’re all trying to connect to, a long-forgotten party in this case

9 Likes

Holding a window to the past in your hand…so cool!!!

Well, you are certain to get some silver next, now that you’ve cleared the pennies.
Welldone on the spot, looks amazing.

Shot out for an early evening stroll along the beach down by the port. Usual lead and old decimals. Best find was a WW2 shottie and a handmade? brooch (centre of pic) - whatever was on the front has long since gone, I thought there may have been a cameo nearby, but two spirals in opposite directions gave nothing.

Have to be in to win.

3 Likes

Been a month since I was able to get out, so I decided to brave the frost for an early morning bush-bash.

Despite being a clear sunny day, it was still bitterly cold in the bush and I spent a fair bit of time just sitting in a patch of early sun to thaw out :confused:
Revisited a spot looking out over the city (Nope, not the monument, try again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ) where we had found old coins as kids (long since swapped or lost!) but I reckoned although we had the ones off the surface, there might be more there.
And there were.
Nine for nine holes.
6 pennies and three halfpennies.

Tough going in the undergrowth, and the cold and wet soon got to me so I chickened out.
Added to the list for a revisit on a warm summer afternoon.

5 Likes

You’re hard. I didn’t muster up the courage to take a river dunk this morning.
Water was fairly frozen in buckets too!
Tomorrow, I’m going to do it though.

1 Like

Nice one KT, a couple of 1904’s are some nice early ones. Its freezing up here too…
Happy hunting

1 Like

Woke up that morning with best intentions, saw the ice on the car and…nope.

Well-earned rewards. :+1:

4 Likes

Late afternoon trawl along the edges of a park.
Spent much of the time digging foil scraps, as you’d expect next to a city playground!
First decent hit (I lost count of the 2 and 5cents) was a nice 1937 sixpence

Then almost stepped on a very small omelette!

A very stroppy Spurwing Plover was shouting at me from above, but was no match for the noise-cancelling phones. I moved a few dozen metres further on so she could resume her motherly duties.

More decimals, more foil, then a big hit in the phones which sat just under the buttercups
Ooh - a pretty button - Navy I think (Haven’t got a definite fix on it in Google yet)

That was about it - a couple more vanilla sixpences, and a weird ceramic thing which turns out to be some sort of mega heavy duty fuse

Finds of the day

Time for wine I think :upside_down:

Kate

5 Likes

Gee that’s a nice button!

Yeah the button certainly looks Navyish doesn,t it. Interesting haul, well done.

http://www.melitomnes.org/05-3-2-2-wwii-rn-officer-buttons-fl-large.php

That’s a good page GP - unfortunately mine is a one piece, with eye cast into it. The closest I’ve found was Admiralty Civil Police - Whatever they are.
Admiralty Civil Police
Although that is a three piece button, the design is just about spot on I reckon.
Maybe an older version?

Trying to tease the backstamp off it, so far looks like I have an “A & S”

1 Like

Okay, searches were drawing blanks on the button until I realised I hadn’t seen that crown before. Looks like it’s not British, Kiwi or Australian, but maybe Imperial German Navy???
Any thoughts-

Only words I can make out are:
Bottom of button: A&S with a 5-pointed star each side
Top: K. D________rine

And as I typed that last line, it clicked to try DeutschMarine and TaaDaaaa! a direct hit, so to speak.

1888 German Imperial Navy.

1 Like