Why? Why do I do this?

thats one nice button

:beers: :wine_glass:

I lifted a 2 Mark coin from down that way - Maybe U862 hasn’t been the only visitor :thinking:

1 Like

Mighty fine piece of detective work there KT, well done :grin:

Had to Google that one! Never knew.

Hey can you please submit the naval button to the Competition for Best Find?

Well done Mate and some excellent advise.

And another few hundred square metres disappears under fill. 650mÂł to be exact.
Looks like Auntie Herald is blocking the hotlink.

Try this:
www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503450&objectid=11934405

Not to mention the old circus/fair ground down on Riverside that is now being buried.

Might sell the detector - It’s getting down to postage stamp sized plots to search ! :worried:

And the guys on the beaches think they’re geting a rough time with the sand buildup! - This stuff is permanent!

1 Like

Nice old fishing lure! :grinning:

1 Like

So thats what they are doing to Tawera Park.
Pity was a good spot for a hour or so after work when up there.

Sounds like Tawera has been done to death anyway.
You’d be likely to find Feral trash anyway - given it’s location :smiling_imp:

Feral trash, sure - plenty of it. But drunks are careless.
Was never comfortable detecting there anyways, always looking over my shoulder or beating a retreat back to the car.

So I headed back to the good old harbour today :grin:
Not much in the way of sovereigns or viking stashes, but got a neat garter belt clip (Brand “Midget”, but googling for midget garter just went wrong so very quickly!!! :scream:), a mangled silver ring and a silver shilling.

Weird one was the key - sure, we’ve all had keys - but an uncut blank?

I love the beach - Always something, no matter how much it’s been pounded.

6 Likes

I like the copper nail - undoubtedly from Captain Cooks Endeavour though I never read that she sprung a plank in passing our coasts!

What is written on the base of the cartridge case - it looks like a .310 cadet in which case it might have nothing on the base at all.

2 Likes

Cartridge is a bog-standard .22 Remington I’m afraid

Nail is a bit tiny for the Endeavour - must have been a Spanish Caravel wrecked off Onerahi :slight_smile:

1 Like

might have been the Chinese . check out YouTube “under the carpet” or something like that

1 Like

Dammit when I magnified the photo the .22 case looked like a howitzer shell! Me bad!

1 Like

Working my way around the coast on the big tides, the AT Pro seemed a lot more stable in the next bay which probably accounts for more hits.

In the immortal words of Lance in “The Detectorists” We’re always searching for gold, we don’t say it, but we are"

No Gold today, but lifted another silver ring. Shown against the one I pulled yesterday (which was a 925 and Lapis stone)

And a car remote, can only imagine the angst when they got back to the car only to find (the man :smiling_imp:) had lost the ‘key’

Couple of older items too (which are more valuable than Gold in my eyes).

A piece of wood with brass plate off a boat (wrecked?)

Miller Bros. Lyttleton Dates to 1915-1922 at which point one of the apprentices became a partner and the name changed to Miller & Tunnage. Based on Mudwiggles posts, I have this soaking in a dilute PVA glue solution to preserve the wood.

And a fork, Cooper Bros. The “Don Plate” works was using this stamp 1872-1885. Some nice age with these bits, even though the Whangarei coast has been severely hammered over the years.
Hubby has his “favourite spoon” that I pulled from Uretiti Beach a few years ago - This in now my 'Favourite fork" for meals :yum:

Can anyone ID the crucifix thing?

4 Likes

The crucifix thing if it is the big thing looks like one side of a large horse bit from a set of reins…it is either part of a ‘full cheek’ or ‘fulmer’ horse bit. Full cheek Fulmer Snaffle bit I think.
Hope that helps…I think I have some full sets from when I thought I was a cowboy…though DNA tests seem to think I might be part American Indian in which case I am not a cowboy but would have been better suited an ‘Itchybum’ which could account for the spotty arse!

I thought you were taking the mickey and cautiously googled for Cheek Snaffling Devices :grin:. Looks like it is definitely a horsey bit of kit. Thanks.

Great finds kate I’ve had a few hunts around that way the coins always seem rotten same with silver rings ( not yours by the looks) had a quick go on the way home more decimals and 7 lead seals last of the tides tomorrow good luck