Why? Why do I do this?

Has Kia Ora underneath (What else would an enamel Tiki have under it LOL! )

@Cailean Thanks for that - Hadn’t thought of a money clip as haven’t encountered them. Bit tatty, but fits nicely in the “Money Clip Goes Here” space on the shelf :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, best laid plans and all that. Was on the detector 100km north chasing Cyclone Donna cuts when I got a TXT from a friend who ‘desperately needs someone to talk to’. Cut to the chase, I cancelled then and there, drove 100km back and spent 5 hours sitting patiently listening to someone pour their heart out. Drawing them back from a potential point of no return is worth far, far more than catching any gold-laden cut on the beach. I’m just thankful to have been there when they needed me.
To any one else who thinks that the stresses of life are just getting too much - please, please ask someone for help - even just having them sit there while you rationalise what you’re going through. Start by getting through the next hour, then the next, then another day and so on… The story with my friend is not over, but for now normality has been restored and they have my assurance they can phone me anytime of day or night.

Keep well guys.

3 Likes

Karma obviously took note of yesterday and saw fit to reward me :slight_smile:
Just a teaser for now, will add pics when I’ve gone through the bag and cleaned everything up.

2 Likes

Even if it’s just a copper, that encrusted find is what I love to see.
The detail looks amazing, can’t wait to see it washed up.

9 carat - beautiful detail in it. Unfortunately, I have a crap camera in my phone.

7 Likes

Way to go kate nothing but lead for me today

Even with your crap camera it’s gorgeous!
Any other hallmarks? Any idea of age? Weight?
(I can’t get out at moment, going a little stir crazy :smiley: )

Just the 9ct stamp and makers mark which I can’t track down - “ARC” or “ARD”. No idea of age, but as you can see, she was well crusted and deep. Was just a whisper with the big 15" NEL.

The big cut I had to walk away from had faded badly with the last two tides, but was still doable and gave forth $43 in gold coins, and a pair of crusty 9 and 14ct rings. Also dug my first UK shilling (1966).

The two rings were within about 10-15m of each other and at the same level on the beach - Given they’re obviously male and female rings but with a very similar design, I wonder if they were thrown?

Found the obligatory key and toy car but the spoon/other random piece of cutlery that always turn up on beaches eluded me.

I love these rings, they’re awesome.

3 Likes

Nice one, that’s a fair bit of spendables.
What’s that other ring?

Buldozer is neat.

Junky McJunkFace :slight_smile:

At least the spendies covered the cost of gas (for once)

Very nice indeed. This is the sort of haul that makes all the nasty times go away. Well done.

1 Like

Pretty sure I have a little PTSD from the nasty times :grinning:
Though now I know where I need to focus with my detector, so having less trauma.

nice rings look quite organic maybe art nouveau 1910 ish.

1 Like

Sweet old rings. All gold is good, old gold is better!

1 Like

Up in Kaitaia on business today, so had to throw the ATP into the company car :slight_smile: Someone else regularly fills it with sand and wetsuit odours, so I reckoned the few grains I would add would be un-noticed. The road runs right against some nice beaches up here and it was hard to watch the road and the beach at the same time. Timed it perfectly to arrive at first light and some beautiful beaches to be dug - Virtually trash free and definitely more scenic that the Whangarei ones!. Had a great hour and a half digging tons of old decimals,a few dollars, fishing sinkers and a nice 18k white/10k rose set. Made my day!

5 Likes

Awesome. Going hard.

Thanks GoldPandemic. Hoping to hit them again on the way back to Whangarei, think tide may still be a little high when I knock off though. Might just give the dry sand a brush over and try some tot lots. Always nice to try somewhere new.

1 Like

Nice finds KT, you on a roll of late. Save some GOLD for us.

mmmmm,gold is good they must be more.

1 Like

Old house site dating to early 1900’s which was demolished, followed by another house built in the mid forties…which was also demolished… Just ratbag weeds now.

Lots of nails and scrap tin roofing returning to it’s constituent elements in the ground, but pulled a couple of coins - and my bucket list Cap Gun :sunglasses:

1950 Tui penny sunbathing

1949 Half penny - nice patina

Milk Glass insert of 1920-30’s Agee lid (Alloy rim was too fragile to lift, so left in situ)

Oh oh oh …What’s this?

Yeah, Baby! My first Cap Gun! Police .38 - No maker ID, looks to be 70’s vintage

1920-30’s Woods Great Peppermint Cure for Coughs and Colds (Coloured water added for effect !)

Not much, but a fun hunt. The thing top left is a lid off something, possibly inkwell?

Time for wine and wait for Hubby to cook dinner - It’s a hard life ! :wine_glass:

5 Likes