Kwikeiths west coast places

I think I was in the Kaimanawas as a training Forest Ranger back sometime in BC - well it seems that long ago. I was in the Mamakus as well. I was stationed at Rotorua. I have a story to tell about those days in Rotorua but due to the fact that New Zealand has no Statute of Limitations I dare not tell it. Sufficient to say that if anyone is flattened by a brick or bricks that just drop out of the sky I might be able to offer suggestions of explanation as to how it might have come about!

I just found on topo map that the shaft is marked on it. Its near Motumatai where I think Doc have a big hut there. I still remember the old hut near the mine shaft. I remember each time we went there dad would let me go in first with my Savage single shot .22 and give those coons a real ruck up! lol

I remember years ago I think bc like lammerlaw walking through the area went from napier / taupo road through to the desert road . took a couple of days.
I lived in mamaku for 5 years while doing possums in the early 70s. always wondered who poached my line . had the block between the mamaku road and the matamata road . got a few coons

Gidday all. Kwikeith over and beyond for effort. Wish I had known earlier, but Keen to help out if needed as just up the way a little. Comfortable in our environment you might say. I have been researching something I heard 20+ yr ago about one of the road workers when they lived up on the bluff… Suffice to say I ended up in your community. Have had an SDC sitting around for 6 months, just turned it on afew days ago for a famil. An incentive to take the time.
Regards to all

sold my gear , new detector all ready to go . plenty of ground to work over not to sure whats there. don’t even know how to use it.

4 Likes

Its a Landrover - fuck me its a real genuine LANDROVER - well bugger me! I have one of those - mine is called ‘The Late Deceased’

3 Likes

deer deer deer me you must be pulling my leg.

2 Likes

Kwikeith, yeah I found the manual a bit tedious to read as well with that model of detector, best advice, read it once, go to a area you know well, then muck with the settings, going back to the manual for reference when you need to.

Lammerlaw, finally a picture of a shed I can appreciate. Do be careful though, you might offend someone, in this airy fairy my meat is born in styrofoam trays wrapped in plastic with a price tag to boot world.:grin::grin:

What model did you get Keith ? (detector that is. Don’t want to upset Caz). Have a look on You Tube.
Cheers

Keith - the only leg I pull is…Shh keep it clean!

digahole - fuck the world and its politically correct ‘New World globalisation image’ - this is Kiwiland and all the fucking Caftan wearing text book crackpots are ruining it…I am going to write a book named ‘The Betrayal of a Nation’ but before I do so I hope that good old New Zealanders will wake up and charge the government with treason because the only thing that offends me is a Government which is hell bend on destroying our culture, traditions and identity. Yep thats my shed complete with Landrover.

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more Lammerlaw.

1 Like

I hope you are going to swing that thingme jig
and not just take it for rides in a landy.
good on you Keith get into it

been out twice found washers, bolts, wire and a sparkplug. all interesting , not going into the areas where I know there is gold as im not confident with it yet. so if anyone wants to show me how it works ill take you to the gold bearing areas, then cut out your tongue so you cant tell anyone else

1 Like

Sound like a real detectorist there Keith! :wink: Your offer to let someone leave your patch only sans tongue is generous indeed. Don’t forget the hands though to avoid dissemination via keyboard or paper…

@Lammerlaw Your shed doesn’t offend me in the least, I’d love to have a shed with dangling proof of ownership by an apex predator. My urban Skyline garage only sports a few sad carcasses of Islay malt.

1 Like

If I can remember how those GPX 4500’s work I may take you up on that! Keep meaning to get up your way for a swing. Tried about 3 weeks back but bad weather closed both passes to the west coast. Looked like you had nicer weather over there so was keen to nip over at the time! :stuck_out_tongue:

any time there I need help. finding it hard to ground balance, maybe to close to the pylons etc . what would be a safe distance off them? got a great place to go right next to the road but in the bush. was getting good size bits in the creek but asking for trouble been in view of the road maybe detecting will be safer no noise

Yep, pylons will likely be making things noisy for you. When you auto-tune your detector I think it sometimes helps if you have the coil pointed in the direction of anything that might interfere so it can have a good chance of selecting a channel that’s least noisy.

Other things:

Make sure your mobile is turned off, or at least in airplane mode.

Are you carrying a pin-pointer? If so, even turned off mine was interfering with my old GPX 4500. At the suggestion of another forum member, I made a sleeve out of foil to wrap the pointy end in while not in use = problem solved.

1 Like

You can use the cancel setting in areas with strong electrical interference with DD coils, won’t work with mono coils.

1 Like

I also carry my gps . will that interfere?

As long as it’s not one of those ones with comms, like the Garmin Rhino, then no as most handheld GPS are passive units .i.e. Receive only.

Electric fences are another source of annoyance, if you’re running the machine hot then a fence can be many dozens of metres away and still be a pain in the wotsit.

@gavin Very surprised if your PP was triggering the coil when it was switched off??? Possibly the button was being depressed in the holster or whatever, or maybe the switch is breaking up. Most pointers are a mechanical action in the switch so can’t ‘leak’.

As for pylons, can be anything up to a few hundred metres, especially if you can physically hear them “fuzzing” when it’s damp/foggy.

1 Like