Iggy's journeys

Just back from wee hunt… Wee being the operative word!
Made a vital mistake and got my charged and discharged headlamp batteries mixed up, resulting in 40 minutes of fun then sudden and abrupt darkness :frowning: Ggrrrr I was just getting into it and had planed on a serious dig fest.
I found my way back to the car using my phones light. Lesson learnt carry a backup headlamp!

I found three parts of what would have been a very nice piece. All in separate holes within ten feet of one another.

Couple of other bits and bobs then lights out.
Ohh and I found the Gordonia condom tin back in my finds pouch :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Nice spring afternoon… Chores all done, find the wetsuit and saddle up for a water hunt, of the fresh water variety.

I’ve got a bit of a love hate relationship with this place. Love the fact there are targets everywhere, but hate the fact that I seem to leave 80% of them lying on the lake bottom! :rage: And waste allot of :stopwatch: in the process.
Simply unable to get them into my scoop. The bottom is extremely hard packed and rocky with some small patches of diggable mud.

The targets I did manage to retrieve were pretty ordinary but wow what a view!

2 Likes

Most of the week I was inland for work which resulted in three hunting opportunities for the F4.
It was hard to concentrate on the job at hand with views like this.

First quick buzz around one evening, I managed a few pre decimal coins, 1943 3d and not a lot else.
This place was absolutely thick with tabs, foil and bottle tops :frowning:

Another hour and a half before tea the next night at a different spot with similar results… Lots of trash but picked up a few keepers along the way.

u

Finally this arvo heading for home :taxi: Mmmmm​:thinking: What to do?.. keep on driving and arrive at the workshop for a couple hours of work OR pull in to a wee domain for a look around. The perks of self employment, I did feel guilty for the first five minutes.

Lots and lots of coins here probably got around 90% of them here in a little over a couple of hours. Had an old fella follow me round very interested to see what was going to surface next.

Had a blast :rocket: Happy hunting all :smiley:

Wow that’s a lot of digging

1 Like

good stuff there iggy! well worth a few more hunts good luck!!!

1 Like

Nice amount of spending money.
It will be funny in 5 decades when $1 & $2 become ‘the’ rare thing to find.

1 Like

yeah great haul iggy,just reading gp,s comment about the 1 and 2 dollar coins,hope they will be worth more than what they are now :rolling_eyes:godd going.

1 Like

A Sunday afternoon stroll up and down a wee beach, then some…around, under and over rocks and up and down some banks. All in the hope of treasure :yum:

An older padlock was grabbed on the grassy banks of the track down towards the ocean. Quite a few hot rocks here and the usual beach iron scraps. But couldn’t latch onto anything substantial at all.

Signals were a bit scarce, and I had to abort more than one dig. I was quite pleased to get onto this junk target, with just a whisper coming through the phones.

A few misc items slowly gathered in my bag, then the decision was made to head for higher ground which overlooks the bay.

It wasn’t long and some coins started to surface, along with the usual odds and ends commonly found.

It’s been awhile since I’ve found a big silver, so that was cool. I think the object below is an old castor.

1 Like

You went hard Iggy and it payed off - awesome. Persistance pays off.
Thought that blobby thing was a chrome hand grenade there for a bit.

Shady 4 sure.

Thanks Shane…yes managed to get it together in the last half :yum: But the first half wasn’t too flash.

Happy hunting to all who venture out during the next fortnight, and hope some great finds are made along the way.

1 Like

nice work lots of coins and some cool silver,silver is set to boom,so the stackers say.i can feel how cold that waters going to be,good luck

1 Like

Those are the kind of hunts I enjoy, good selection of goodies there well done

1 Like

Just a wee update of the finds I managed to retrieve from the Gold Coast beaches.
Basically I had a heap of fun with the Go Find and it filled in a few nights quite nicely while the rest of the family were :sleeping_bed:. I don’t think it will be my ‘go to machine’ but great for travelling.
Originally the plan was not to night hunt… But with the beach under flood lights, people everywhere even at midnight I couldn’t resist :yum:
Plenty of targets to keep the interest, including lots and lots of pull tabs/bottle tops :rage:

Only saw three other swingers and managed to chat with two of them which was cool.

First guy was living the dream on a benefit and hunting at night, with a bit of a ring recovery sideline.
He showed me pics of all his past and present machines and coolest finds.
Can’t remember what he was weilding that night but from what he was saying only around the dozen ever made. Sounds a bit odd I know.

Second guy a tradie out on a mid week night mission. He too showed me some of his finds and even had a mint looking Au Ruby ring he had earlier found. I probably chatted with this guy for 45 mins or so and was feeling guilty for holding him up, but he insisted it was all good… Thanks for the pointers also :+1:

Anyway the metal, no gold, few 925 peices and a nice Tungsten Carbide ring which even fits me :smiley:
And a lot of coins and random objects.

4 Likes

Phenomenal haul!
That ties in with the description of the hauls a guy described to me the other day while wasting my tide-time at the beach. His brother apparently "makes $20,000 a year in rings and change on the GC"
I treated it like you treat a fishermans Butitgotaway story at the time… but hell, if you pulled that with the GoFind maybe there was something in his tale.

That Cu? could be a rose Au

Cheers MW,
Mmmm your fisherman story… Yeh I’d believe it especially with the right equipment and some time on your side.
Second bloke I talked to said its still a bit cold yet (yeh right) but once she warms up there is a lot of people out and about detecting. He reconded the beach was pretty well sanded in but two or three years back he had a very good year on the jewellery.
The beaches are groomed at night/early morning so initially I was only targeting the can’t reach spots and the odd steeper slope,(and did alright)

I found out during my chats that all the coins rings etc actually fall right on through the screen leaving only the wallets, watches, sunnies etc ohh and the general rubbish.
And that going out straight after can be a good time while the dry sand is nice and flat, you can keep your coil nice and low and see where you have been easily as well.
I would have loved to have gotten the Excal wet!

Rose gold, that would be cool, the lower band is quite corroded though. That little copper ring that I think is another d.i.y job was also heavily corroded.
Maybe it’s the copper content causing the corrosion.

1 Like

heaps of stuff there pity you could not use the excal iam sure you would have scored some gold on those busy beaches on the wet,nice work

1 Like

Hi people gee it’s been awhile since the coil has seen soil. Exciting times though tomorrow AM a wee get together with a couple of CH CH icons #8 and Erickd are in town :tada::confetti_ball::balloon:
Can’t wait, just need to find somewhere worthy.

2 Likes

Wow where did 2016 go!
A little round up of the last two outings…

First wee look around was an enjoyable mini road trip with Number 8 Wire and Erickd.
We managed to squeeze in three different locations in the short time we had.
Nothing super crazy exciting was found by any of us, the boys scored a couple of silvers each and usual misc coins etc.
I managed the following.

It was cool to catch up with you guys :blush:

Hunt #2 involved the Go Find and some dense bush.

A few pre 1900 coins were discovered, which is always nice, a super thin and worn Shilling.

A nice 1858 Australian Peace and Plenty Token (although as usually the case very worn) was encouraged out from deep under some tree roots. Almost abandoned that dig so pleased I stuck with it

A couple of pretty sad pocket knives and not shown two enamel pot lids, broken toy gun, and an old clock which I thought was an old tin…I was frantically bashing it onto a stump waiting on several ‘SOVS’ to roll on out only to be confronted with a pile of cogs and clock insides! My bad.

An enjoyable time was had and the spot certainly showed signs of some age, which was cool :sunglasses:

3 Likes

some nice old coins there,1858 is way back, horse and cart days so things wont be that far from that green belt, mining would have been in full swing,they would have to come to town to sell maybe within a stones throw of a pub or brothel water might have been a must,ideally find a two up spot,maybe they gambled in nuggets.[ i know iam only dreaming ].

1 Like

wow nice going, amazing what can be found in the bush

1 Like