Iggy's journeys

first of .thanks for the tips on posting,great pics looks like the brass brooch type thing maybe in the form of a plough some crop emerging from a flower on top.sorry but thats all i got very art deco.

1 Like

I like beach hunting the most Iggy. There is more to it than just walking along in hope. With differant conditions all the time it takes a bit of getting used to - sniffing out the good spots.
Mixed bag of finds there, always a bonus to pull a coin or two.

1 Like

Interesting stuff, have to agree your pictures look great.
I thought the bullet was a bottle top opener.

Yeh (me) Na (rest of the household)
Mmmm hadn’t thought of that one. Just attempted to open a stubby…or at least see if it fitted. Pretty tight fit but managed to squeeze it on…stopped short there as didn’t want to damage sharp edge.

As far as a whistle goes sounds like a small :steam_locomotive: But takes a little practice. Cheers PD

Venturing out of town for the weekend to visit relatives, resulted in a couple of hunting opportunities.
The first spot was at the beach for a quick swing… To test out my mates gold machine.

Targets were sparse to say the least, zilch, nothing, so thirty minutes later we went to a recreational reserve which had produced, on two or three previous occasions.

Twenty minutes or so in and my finds bag was hiding two silvers and a few old decimals, so encouraging enough.

The gold machine seemed pretty content on pouncing on any little peice of foil it could find. With no finds other than scrap it wasn’t long before my hunting partner was ready to go! It’s a new machine to him and I’m sure with practice he will get in the zone with it.

:cry::joy::sob::sob: But I don’t want to go home yet :frowning:
Light was fading fast and with only one headlight to share (and the two Minelabs seeming to not like one another up close) it was inevitable that home was our destination for the evening.

Next morning being Father’s Day and all… Yes well why not I told myself. I managed to sneak in an hour of quality time, pulled a few random bits then while searching around an old Oak.

Removed this beauty :blush:

Initially I thought it was a junker (due to the clip on ring guard, it still could be junk, no markings on it either) but for now I’m going to call it the real deal.

Update once properly cleaned up I moved the ring guard into centre which revealed a marking of 935 :yum:

My wife is going to get it checked out anyway and see if the stone and diamonds are actually real. It fits here perfectly, so fingers crossed.

The plastic Tiki was an eyeball find back at the car.

Happy happy joy joy.

3 Likes

A ring guard, havnt seen that before. Nice find.

No, me either, it’s slightly spring loaded and just clips on to any loose ring… To stop you from loosing it!

I don’t have much luck with rings, so there’s a good chance the stones will be fake, but we live in hope.

first ive seen, obviously they work well.LOL

Yes most definitely! The way I see the story unfolding is as follows, which by the way is the short straight to the point version. As you read on you will learn that the ring was not lost at all, simply removed and forgotten.

AND THIS IS MY STORY

Long long ago (before :old_key:was in power and after Golem and his ‘precious’),you get the idea, somewhere in between. There was a very handsome, although rather short and fat well to do gentleman named Robert.
Well to do?..Let’s just say Robert had a plumb in his throat and when he arrived on our shores from the mother land his pockets were full of gold sovereigns!

Not enough paper to explain why he fled his homeland, so you will have to use your imagination🤔
Young Robert was a go getter, that was obvious, he knew nothing about politics, but that didn’t stop him from building the :honeybee: Hive stubbornly on his own.

Sadly though, something was missing from his life, he needed a woman to :heart:

After years of searching for the perfect woman Robert nearly at the brink of giving up placed a full page advert in The Dominion Post seeking love.

One reply only from a drop dead gorgeous girl named Helen who coincidently was also a politician.

Long story short :yum: They were a match made in heaven and were to wed. Robert is not one for doing things half arsed, the engagement ring had to be the best money could buy with the biggest gem stones ever seen…money wasn’t a problem.

Fast forward >> ohh yes the wedding along with the honeymoon were spectacular, as expected but not as spectacular as that ‘ring’ :ring:

Fast forward again >> (after all this is the short version) Robert and Helen were on there second honey moon still deeply in love lying under the old oak tree. The exact spot where there nine previous children had been conceived!

This time was no different than before… After the deed was done Robert would (for some strange reason) bury a gold sovereign under the oak tree :deciduous_tree:

BUT this time would be different. Helen was ~#}^^ if she was having any more children at her age. So Reluctantly agreeing Robert let Helen bury the last gold sovereign under the tree…
She ‘removed’ her precious ring to bury the Sov and forgot all about it, in her emotional state!

THE END

Ps I wish it were a true story cause I know where the tree is lol.:blush:

2 Likes

My father has a few of these, made out of .50 browning machine gun and 20mm cannon rounds, they were a common gift around the time he was in uniform serving as a field engineer in the army, Vietnam era, he was called up on national service.

anyways, it’s a bottle opener

Anyone with past military service will attest to it’s fine drinking culture.

3 Likes

Too much…

Shady Aftermath

Friday early evening bush hunt produces some good old stuff!
I’ve driven past this spot numerous times and often wondered :thinking: about its potential.

First dig out pops another Gordonia condom tin and lid, a few pre 1900 pennies, a cool old ‘Westclox’ pocket watch in not too bad condition. I thought it was a tin can the way it rang through the phones ( almost didn’t dig it) actually didn’t need to as it was just lying on some tree roots covered in rotten bark and leaves.

First ‘Key spill’ for me … I wonder if they belong to that buried safe that is nearby?

Got a nice little Navy league keep watch badge and a sweet 1912 Florin :blush:

Definately worth a revisit one day. Ohh and can anyone identify the lonely little deimal coin!

5 Likes

thats a cool hunt lots of good stuff.

1 Like

hi iggy,wow! that spot has all the right ingredients,i,d be going back there for sure ,nice pocket watch winder,dunedin jeweller.love that English florin well done! nice finds.

1 Like

Got out for some further searching on Sunday evening-night nearby to the last hunting spot.

The finds were down a bit but could have been a case of ‘zagging’ when I should have ‘zigged’
The old X marks the spot was an interesting one, target exactly under the tree root cross.

Don’t really know what made me think of searching here …

But there was something in there, probably trash of some description… But who knows? Maybe the perfect spot for something good! I couldn’t get my :raised_hands: In there so it’s either come back with a chainsaw or child :blush:

Couple of silvers were a nice wee pick me up, don’t know what happened to the 3d, but it wasn’t happy and super thin.

Unsure what that spooky looking ghost like face thing was off? I did find a cool 1935 (apparently semi rare as only 200k minted that year and another 200k in 1937) Un Centesimo which I discovered at home while cleaning up.

Another Gordonia lid found its way into my bag… But then somehow found the way out again.
I think next time I revisit that spot I might retrace some footsteps so to speak and get into some of those sketchy signals that were ignored first time through.

2 Likes

Quick update on that ring, three hunts back.
Hot off the press from the Jeweler.
The pink stone - Spinel
Outer - Marquisites
Big names meaning synthetic… Oh well maybe next time.

The Westclox pocket watch were apparently built pretty cheaply and were nic named dollar watches.
A little clipping…

Westclox was a manufacturer of what collectors today call dollar watches: very low end watches for the masses. As such, its watches generally command very little money from collectors today.

Looking through my copy of the 2014 edition of Gilbert, Engle and Shugart’s Complete Price Guide to Watches, for most Westclox models they show dealer buying prices (for a complete, working watch) between $15 to $40. Mint condition ones sell for maybe double that. A few rare models fetch over $100 in mint condition.

I don’t think I’ve met anybody who collects American dollar watches, however, so I don’t have much insight into what they like.

Happy hunting all and remember five days left to find some more 10c :yum:

good stuff is that a split in that fab condition shilling that was dropped very early in its life

1 Like

Just a deep score, but not right through… Bit of a shame as they are a nice coin. It has some damage at 9 and 11 o’clock as well.

cool finds m8, bet you were buzzing

1 Like

Awesome Iggy. Choice thread.

1 Like