Iggy's journeys

The bullet with the slot is a novelty bottle opener me thinks

1 Like

The Go Find seems like a mean machine Iggy. Cool finds.

Yeh the Go Find is a fun machine to swing - most of the bush targets are not that deep so it seems to cope ok, but care is needed so as not to damage it, as I believe bush bashing is outside its design brief.

1 Like

Hi all, A little round up of the last three hunts. Two of which were a bust the last a lot better :blush:.

The first was a quick buzz around the edges of a domain while away for work…not a lot was found ( four or five old decimals ) and then the heavens opened up putting an abrupt end to the hunt.

Second hunt entailed a very quick blast around the local sand after surfing with the kids. The results… only one signal would you believe = $1

Finally last night things improved. Three pocket knives, some misc items, old pennies and a real nice Britt Half Crown, which gave a real iffy signal on the Excalibur and it wasn’t especially deep. The silver spiral thingy is hallmarked, don’t know what it’s off.

Happy hunting

4 Likes

Love the half crown - me is definitely jellyarse.

The spirally thing may be what was a top of the line silver bodied propelling pencil. It could have had a screw arrangement to propel the thin lead down as you used it. I have one here - somewhere - that is similar.

Cool thanks for info, forgot to mention item on far left of it (two over) was right beside it, so probably related.

Yes I think that you are correct - if so then it is the guide that held the lead holder and stopped it going around and around as the Archimedian screw arrangement did thus causing the lead holder to go up or to go down. The slot in that item could be the slot that held a projection on the lead holder so that it went up and down instead of around and around - hell all that sounds like a circus - or a massage parlour!

nice silvers looks like a good spot

1 Like

Very interesting pieces near the coil there - the pointy things - bullet shapes or whistle ends?
How pure is that Silver spring? Looks like quite a large piece, weight?
But I guess you got kgs of silver already…

The pocket knives are peculiar the way they have grown as they oxidised.

That was observant - I can smell bullets as they have been my life and yet I didnt notice it! It looks like a Rimfire and looks larger than a .22. What ever it is it is not a Long but it is a Short so might be a .25 Rimfire Short or a .32 Rimfire Short. On the back if it is cleaned it will probably have either a letter U impressed into it (UMC for Union Metallic Cartridge later taken over by Remington in 1912 to become Remington-UMC) or maybe a D for Dominion Indistries of Canade, an E for Eley of Britain, an H for Winchester or even one of several others like US for United States Cartridge Company.
I would be interested to know what is on the back of the rim.

Yeh.a few odd balls… don’t know what the pointy bits are they were in different holes and separated by at least 200 metres or so. It looks like Lammerlaw has solved the silver spiral mystery (cheers :+1:) as far as purity I will take it as being 925? It has hallmarks but very hard to make out. It is hollow so won’t be many grams. Yes love finding pocket knives , got a wee mini one last night :yum: But unfortunately Mother Nature is not kind to them when buried.
I love your comment about weighing my silver in kgs … if only it were true. I’m more of a ‘grams’ man, but I do know of a certain person who must use some seriously heavy duty scales to weigh his Ag.

1 Like

Hi Lammerlaw, I gave the headstamp a wee scrub up and it has an H on it and is 23-24mm long
Thanks for your research

Early Winchester - the H is in honour of B Tyler Henry who developed the .44 Rimfire cartridge for which Oliver Winchester made the Henry Rifle for, the forerunner of the first Winchester which was the Winchester 1866. It is almost certainly a .32 Rimfire - is the projectile .32? If so then the person who intended firing it most likely carried a single shot Stevens Favorite or a Model 1892 Marlin lever action repeating rifle. It is interesting to note that well over 155 years later the H still appears on some .22 bullets made under the Winchester brand!

1 Like

Love those big silvers…well done m8

1 Like

The first time I ever saw a detectorist on the beach next to Marsden Point Oil Refinery (I used to live in one of the worker houses), I’d just lost my swiss pocket knife in the sand - while I was sitting down. Just put it next to me, I could NOT find it. And I bet the lady with the detector found it once I’d left!

Oh I thought that silver was much more solid - very nice piece then.

1 Like

That would have been a sad day… loosing your Swiss Army Knife especially if you were a kid.

Attached are a couple of my favourite knives neither were found detecting though - family heirlooms

6 Likes

They are fancy.
I’ve upgraded to a micro pocket knife - invaluable.

1 Like

A nice little evening hunt a couple of nights back started with a bang!
Just metres from the car, across a ditch and up a steep bushy bank… first target for the night - wow a WW1 badge.
2nd target a pretty worn 1881 Sixpence… nice start to the night.

Another pocket knife appeared along with a few other random items.
Deep under some big tree roots I found what I thought was a big lock of hair and which I was certain contained gold of some sorts… not to be it turned out to be a spool of very fine copper wire.

An enjoyable evening out at a new spot. And to get that badge was awesome as they are a bit of a rarity for me.

Next day a little road trip with the family to a little coastal settlement. It soon became clear that it was virgin ground based on the targets and in a short time.
First pic is what my eldest son gathered up, I dug for him… Still quite jealous of that Hippo?

The hunt continues… same spot different hunter, same digger… and then I got to have a wee go :blush:

Oldest coin being an 1885 Penny

1 Like

gday iggy,what do you make of that pump type thingy,the first thing i thought of was fuel primer for an old car,if it is thats a very rare find,seen something like that on early 20th century cars

Hi Roy mmm you could be onto something there. I initially thought pump ie air bicycle etc but it’s too small and the treads mid shaft seem wrong. There are no makers markings with a threaded internal end to take a fitting.

This one is similar, thanks for your thoughts :blush:

1 Like