A morning in the life of a detectorist

Been a bit quite of late but managed to pull a pair of binorculars out of the tide on the shortest day. Think i might have been 3-5 years to late getting them. A few rings of late and a live .38 calibre cartridge. Has a flush nose marked AP 38 SPL - any ideas on it guys?

HH

2 Likes

Round looks like a wadcutter and I think the binos are Nikons.

Yeap, just looked 38 wadcutter up and pretty much the same. Binors are in the bin now. To far gone.
Thanks MW

Well that’s a first.

So I’m out in the sea today up to my shoulders in water trying to get some swinging time in before the storm when some twit whistles out from shore.
Now when someone shouts or whistles at me while I’m detecting I generally ignore it as usually it some dumb bastard wanting me to haul myself ashore just to ask “what am I doing”. Anyway I ignored it for a couple of minutes then glanced his way hoping he may have gone away but alas it was Mr Plod waving for me to come ashore.
A bit pissed off I headed his way knowing at least I wound not be getting a speeding ticket. “what are you doing” he asks.
What the hell do you think I’m doing dressed up in a wetsuit, metal detector attached, lead weights attached, headphones on and 1.6 metre scoop in hand - going to a Xmas parade I ask.
No need for that attitude he says. Someone had phones the 111 number worried about you as you have been in the water so long says he.
Well I’ve been out there an hour an a half so far and may stay another hour yet I say.
Are you not cold says he.
Not at all Officer quite warm in my wetsuit says I
Well could I have your details in case someone rings in future says he (how that works is beyond me, Maybe he bar-coded me)
Anyway off he trots down the beach to his car about half a km away and I back to my swinging way having a good chuckle.

For the record all I got was a nice silver chain, an ear ring, 2 musketballs, and a couple of worthless coins. All in all a nice day out.

3 Likes

Should have told him to come to you :rofl:

1 Like

You missed your chance - you should have ignored him and played dead while slowly and without him seeing you waving your extremities headed out into deeper water.

At that point being the hero that he would be, being a member of the Plod family, he would have stripped down to his undies and rushed in to rescue you!

“Why hello Mr Plod, winter solstice was a month or two ago”

3 Likes

The wadcutter cartridge will most likely be Armscor Precision which is possibly also known as Armscor Phillipines. I think the company ‘Squires Bingham Manufacturing Co., Inc’ was the original name and made Bentley .22 ammunition then maybe after the later 1960s became Armscor. In any case I am not certain but Squires Bingham might still own it as a holding company for the family of Don Celso Tuason.

1 Like

Hour and a half in the tide today and didn’t even get a tear tab but just as I was about to head for shore bingo! It didn’t sound that good on the earphones but looked in the scoop and theres a nice 9 ct 5.75 gramer. That’s ring number 499 so my chances of number 500 being gold is one in six. Will put it up with the stats when she arrives.

HH

5 Likes

I love it - I love it - I love it - there 20 characters

Great find MB, funny how we get find of the day on way back to car happens often.

1 Like

How long has it taken to get that amount?

@chris You getting the feeling we’re in the wrong part of the country as well then? :joy:

Hi Chris
Yeah just slightly over five years since I took up the hobby again although the first six months I just ran a Musketeer to see if I would enjoy it again and only got three rings but by then I was hooked on beaches so researched and researched and decided on a CTX and then a year later added an Excal. I have since added a CTX 4500 for inland work.

I mainly specialize mainly in rings but find all the other things of course, coins, sunglasses, phones, false teeth etc. Why rings. Well I found I was quite good at finding them and of course became bloody minded and that was fatal.

I did have a Garrett FDS? back in the early eightie but parked it up for over 30 years to raise a family.

HH

Bloody amazing… now please don’t come up north as my one gold a year keeps me going probably get a few more if that MW kept away🙄

1 Like

Got it:

Ring number 500. Nothing flash, just .925 S/S. (1.5 hours in the water today)
So here’s the stats.
500 rings in 2023 hours = 4.046 hours per ring.
83 of them where gold = 1 in 6.02 rings were gold or 16.6%
So they are out there folks - just got to round them up. Yee ha and good luck.

4 Likes

Now that’s a pretty wicked effort MB we’ll done

1 Like

Well done mate you certainly put the hours in.

1 Like

Thanks guys. was nice to knock that number off.
Managed a couple more today. 14 ct 5.6gm which took about 10 minutes to dig out as I was getting knocked around with the wave breaking over my head. I beat the bugger though. The other I silver.
HH

6 Likes

That’s better. Managed the stainless ring about 4am this morning then another two rings in the tide this afternoon including the one in front which is 9 ct 4.2 grams white gold. Plus the usual coins, bullets and musket ball etc. Those damn musketballs are everywhere - a bit like kiwikeiths black dog.

HH

6 Likes

Looks like a Snider .577 and a Martini Henry .450/577 projectile. Good finds and always look forward to see what you come up with next.

1 Like