A morning in the life of a detectorist

Yeap, tried that Chris. Unless I lost me huff. Could also be a rattle. Looks like it may have had a chain on it. I’m tending towards whistle and some of the inside have rotted away.
Cheers

So it’s not a whistle: Here’s what the Whistle Museum in the States say.

Thanks for the inquiry. What you found is actually not a whistle. However it is associated. It is a siren :slightly_smiling_face:

The outside is in good shape considering where you found it. Probably made of brittannia. The next question would be – does it work ?? Or are the interior mechanical parts destroyed by water ( i.e.rust ) and corrosion ?? Your thoughts please ??

I am off to work early here in Oregon USA. Catch you later

1 Like

Wow that’s up there when it comes to unique finds hope you can get more info on it

Thanks Chris. Just sent him some more info. Will keep you posted.
HH

This is what it would have sounded like.

2 Likes

Here’s a whole new world I never new existed.
May be of interest to some of you.
HH
[

042 Sirens - Part One ‘Case Sirens’ | The Whistle Gallery

](042 Sirens – Part One ‘Case Sirens’ | The Whistle Gallery)

And this is probably one of the prime reasons I Love detecting…All the weird shit you never even comprehended existing - and all of which I can now file away in my mental trivia cupboard for that glorious day when someone asks, "I can’t get 7 Across: A Musical Instrument, Commonly Used For Comical Effects - Anyone? "

And I leap in, thrusting perplexed intellectuals aside, and with a dramatic intake of breath whilst holding my hand aloft, I boldly state, " It’s a… Oh, Dammit, I know this! What the hell was it…"

3 Likes

Well we live and learn and I for one loved finding out about it…bloody marvellous!

1 Like

Yeap. Glad your enlightened MW, but it would be bloody hard work finding out what it was without this thing they call the internet.
HH

1 Like

Hooked a nice 10 carat goldie in the tide this afternoon which weigh in at 15.9 grams. Not my heaviest gold but getting up there.
Take care out there & HH

5 Likes

What a chunker well done mate love it.

:+1:

1 Like

Now that’s a find MB well done
R U detecting salt or fresh?

No I’m mainly a salt water fish Chris. :tropical_fish:

Very nice. About US$270.00 too.

1 Like

Great chunk of the yellow stuff there MB, awesome

Thats a marvellous ring - love it - great find. Once again me is jellyarse!
It was either out on the Coromandel at Whitianga or the North Shore last week that I saw a woman in the bank who if she lost her rings swimming would have been sulking for the rest of her life. Definitely genuine diamond as they sparkled multi coloured hues as diamonds do and not glass. She was wearing up to six on every finger - it would have been impossible to get another on between each knuckle and hand. Also three heavier than usual gold chains around her neck - one was massive. Certainly $100,000 plus worth. She was sure flaunting her wealth.

Not a lot happening over the last week or so. Managed 2 sterling and one stainless ring, a pair of Ray Ban sunnies and gee I’ve always wanted one of these, a 1 Istobal Token. It’s a Spanish car wash token which will come in real handy!!!
Anyway good luck out there detector

4 Likes

Raybans… Nice score

Excellent wee haul Muskettballs

Lashed out and had a carbon fibre handle made for my latest scoop. I think I’ll have trouble trying to break this brute as it has a 8mm thick wall for the first 300mm and the balance is 4mm. Fired some expanding foam into the handle to keep it upright in the water. Handle weights in at around 900 grams so still much lighter the the fibreglass ones I’m using. This one is for use in the water only hence the smaller holes in the scoop. Easier to get those annoying small thing out in the tide especially those tiny bullets.
HH

3 Likes