A morning in the life of a detectorist

Thanks Lammerlaw.
The one on the right is around 11.1mm in diameter. ???

I went to look for my calipers to check but someone, probably Offspringus stickyfingerus (Latin - son) has taken it. I checked with a ruler though and that will be correct as I had a heap of foil ones from the 1890s and many didnt go off so am in the act of pulling them apart and remaking them with shotgun primers and fresh black powder. Projectile length 33 mm.

1 Like

Well done!!! Especially in this cold wet weather too. August apparently 27 wet days!..a record.

1 Like

Not a lot happening around at the mo, but managed to get a couple of silvers this week.

HH

4 Likes

Good to see the ring count going up MB Iā€™m working on a permission at the moment that hopefully produces some vickie silver

1 Like

Is that a secret map as the back ground, Musketballs that you are tantalising us with .

Cheers Trev

1 Like

Hell Trev, Iā€™ve been sprung. Were you a detective in another life?. :wink:

1 Like

Working on about three at the moment Trev.

One include one bloke that said: ā€¦ā€¦one of the most awful, terrible, dreadful, fearful, shameful, painful, mournful, sorrowful, hateful, wrongful, unjustifiable, ignominious and ingloriousā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

And no, they were not talking about Lammerlaw.

HH

So we are packing up house to move down the road (so Iā€™m told, Something to do with downsizing)
Anyway in she comes with this nice sample of copper she found while cleaning out a draw. Nice specimen said I where did you get it I ask.
Out detecting with you tweet. Occasionly sheā€™s comes along as my wingman. Apparently I detected nothing and she just picked it up off the ground.

So where did we get it. Canā€™t remember. Must have been somewhere at the top of the South Island.

So I show it to the local rock hound club and they get excited - where did you get it - canā€™t remember.
But must have been in the last two or three years.
So it weighs 58.3 grams and out there somewhere there a lot more. Pity I canā€™t remember where.

HH

3 Likes

That is absolutely fantastic - It looks like crystaline native copper - Native copper was found up the Roden (?) River near Nelson in the Nelson Mineral Belt. Your piece though takes the cake. Keep that as a genuine treasure as it is hard to find.

1 Like

Thanks Lammerlaw, Yes you are thinking of the Rodding river. Iā€™ve been up there but I donā€™t think the sample was from there. I been meaning to take one of the detectors up there in the river as some of the rocks are pure copper but you need to run a detector over them to find them. Cut in half and polished they come up great. Of course itā€™s NCC water catchment so secret squirrel wink wink stuff. Not my sort of thing.
HH

2 Likes

looks good . ive just been studying the map of the area, never new there was such a thing as the nelson mineral belt but by the number of mines in the area and the names on the creeks I think there must have been some serious activity. pity bout all the roads having locked gates on them. suppose they donā€™t want me pissing in there water supply .
how bout a trip to shaggery gully sounds like my sort of place

1 Like

Thank KK
PM me if you want a road trip. Now Shaggery Gully, that was the place. I used to romp up there in my younger days. Donā€™t think I would have the energy now.
Cheers

1 Like

I have only been close to the copper area and would sur elove to go there exploring. A member of our local rocka ndmineral club sold me a nice natice copper nugget that he picked up there - weights 600 grams so a nice pieceā€¦cost me $20. I would like to go there one day - its the cost of petrol for my gas guzzler plus health anbd lack of interested company that holds me back

Hell Lammerlaw, You, me, Kiwikeith and that bloody Black Dog. All I can see is trouble. Me - I wouldnā€™t get a word in, :rofl:

that bloody ā€œBLACK DOGā€ hasnā€™t been out for awhile , its owner got one ankle up in the air.
last time lammerlaw and I got together we didnā€™t get much detecting done, lots of piles of bullshit laying round never was sure who it came from.
trouble oh so you are saying leave the ā€œBLACK DOGā€ at home. yep he is a trouble maker. just think if I went round pissing on every thing and humping womans legs I think maybe I would get into trouble.
lock your daughter up ā€œBLACK DOGā€ on the loose.
I will get in contact with you musketballs when im able to walk.

1 Like

I am sure that you would get a word in and beside Kiwikeith would supply the dancing girls from the old European Hotel to keep me amused and BLACK DOG would let us off the leash as he doesnt believe in them so everyone would have a great time.
As for pissing on things, it reminds me of whitebaiting two weeks ago - doesnt pay to sit surrounded by other whitebaiters drinking beer!

I can already see Iā€™m going to end up barking mad!!

1 Like

As long as the bark is worse than the bite! Mad? Were all mad - a little madness helps amongst friends!

2 Likes

I am wanting to start of detecting.
Are there any rules where you can/canā€™t detect? (ie beaches)
And if you find something say jewelry. I take it that you should try and find the rightful owner say if it is a ring or something? Or am I free to calm it?