Where is Shady gone?

Well I spose it happens to everyone, even one of the founding members & biggest posters on the old forum. Shady if you can hear me please come back!

2 Likes

Yer, Last I saw of him on here was late last year. I know he was shifting around a fair bit, maybe just not enough time. Hopefully all is okay.

The number of old hands dropped a bit when the forum moved I think.
Just natural dynamics of the web population maybe. Seen it on another forum I’m on, where maybe a dozen ‘big names’ with a post tally in the order of 7,000 - 10,000 have faded away. Only a few of the core group still play there now but the crop of bright-eyed neophytes is always flourishing.

Seeing the same here with new users coming on stream.
Love following the progression from their early excited posts where they show their first finds (tent peg, 2c piece etc), through their first silver, then the ring, silver ring, gold ring etc.
When they start digging Sovs, that’s where I lose interest :laughing:

@ShadyShane Time to dust off the doorbell and feed it some silver bro. :+1:

2 Likes

Yeah hit the nail on the head Mr Wiggle, natural order of things I guess…from out every spare moment, living & breathing detecting to once a week then a month then before you know it you’ve taken up stamp collecting!

Have to admit I skipped the tent peg & 2c in my first ever post & went straight to a whopping 20g 14k ring!

1 Like

We lost some to bookface.
But hopefully that will be turning into a pyre soon, and they’ll return here.

1 Like

You mean Friendface

2 Likes

Hi everyone.
Im still here. been watchin but havnt logged in of late - wot a slacker.
Been real busy this year gettin our new fuddy in order.
Havnt been hunting for a while but i have a extra neat find to show you all. will try put it up this week.
Nice to be missed all the same. happy hunting all.

Shady

4 Likes

Awesome! Good to see we haven’t lost you to stamp collecting shady haha.

1 Like

Great to hear your still around was thinking I would have too take up the “get a garrett” line lol.

1 Like

Nice one. Go hard all the same. Garrett rules for sure.
:beers:

2 Likes

Heh, your devotion has affected me - just added a mighty Ace 250 to my stable.
Straight off the block going to mod it for ground balance and volume :nerd_face:

1 Like

Hey there Muddy. :beer:
Take it for a few walks first you’ll luv it.

Check this find out from south of here
(tried to do a big post earlier on but after half an hour the reply button bummed out)

4 Likes

Yeah, will likely get it out and have a play first, it’s what you do with new toys eh?..then I’ll rip the warranty sticker off!

Ha ha, poor little Ace… Be kind to it.

Just seen the pic - Beauty! Nothing else there? Would have thought there would have been some more hardware if that was in the dirt.

Hi Shane. Is that a trigger guard?

MK

1 Like

Yep, sure is MK!
Gold rings get tiresome all of a sudden when you see something like that.

Going through (what little ) info I have, I think it’s off a 1853-1864 Enfield or Snider. Doesn’t match a lot of the pictures I have as yours seems to be missing the hole for the sling loop (or whatever it’s called) although no doubt there were variations.
No doubt someone will be along shortly to blow my ID out of the water and say, “Oh, that’s a pattern 2 guard off a Buckfield Thundertube, manufactured in Manchester on a Wednesday afternoon in October 1849 by Bert Wilkinthrop” !

To pinch a @Lammerlaw catchphrase, I’m severely Jellyarse.

6 Likes

Hey me jellyarse as well - a good find - be great to know its history BUT if you find that part then who knows what else is there. The fact that it is brass might well indicate that it was designed for sea service - Some weapons designed for the Navy and sea service had what was termed ‘Brass furniture’ - Brass being used because it did not rust.

As for exactly what it is from I dont actually know - an Earsplittenloudenboomer and thats for sure! - was that Led Zeppelin or Steppenwolf

Hey maybe its from Kawitis musket and was used at Ruapekapeka - could be worth untold - do you want the address of a good forger who can write an authentic 150 year old tag and age it - then put it on Trademe!

2 Likes

Hi Chris, hi lammerlaw.
yes it be a trigger guard, my suspicions are it’s off a rifle. It was found down near Whangarei by Crisyboy. he said there were other targets below this dig and would return to see whats there.
A firing mechanism with serial numbers would be real cool.
Not sure what he plans to do with it but doubt he would part with it.

4 Likes

I initially thought it was a musket or Snider one and that did seem logical but I checked against my Snider’s and the musket and Snider tangs are longer so my guess is now a single barrel Sea service or Military hand gun…only a guess.
Two things for certain is the fact that it is not from a toy and it was not lost yesterday. Its definitely from an older Military type handgun or musket/rifle.
You just have to look for the rest. It could have been lost over board or coming ashore…who knows.
Either flintlock or percussion…they were real hand cannons.
I do think that if it could talk to you then it would amaze you…aboard a sailing ship…marines coming to NZ to fight the Maoris…Kororareka…death, doom and destruction.
You have to go and look for more…maybe the rest of it…a skellington or two, Maori dommyknocker (mere) Hone Hekes false teeth and a purse of sovereigns.

Dammit I keep looking at the photos - NOW I notice that it is the tang end that is broken so the tang WAS longer - Hmmm Snider? Brown Bess? Tower Pistol? I do know that mudwiggle is close to the mark. The front end ‘appears’ a bit long for a Snider and no provision for the sling swivel that some have OR the nipple protector ring that others have.

I would bet that it IS British military though…any one for a ten cent bet? I cant afford to lose too much.! This is typical of the British Military pistols of the time and there was a fair bit of difference in the brass trigger guards but I do think that it is from one of those variations, pistol or long arm - flint or percussion.

Enfield 1859 Tower pistol

1 Like

Are there any marks stamped on the underside of the ‘loop’?

There’s a bag of sovs in a carpetbag lost overboard somewhere in the ooze off Onerahi wharf if Crisyboy fancies a swim