Paydirt Home Locations Permit Map Equipment & Services Gold Price Old Forum Archive Donate Search

Wetsuit what do people use/wear underneath

Hi team.What do people wear under there wetsuit. After 3 days in the river my body is quite tender in places

I’ve had a few. Usually keep an eye on trade me. I usually get ones with good knee protection, but still add kneepads of some sort. 2 piece is good for a double layer over your torso so a 2 piece 7mm is good but 7mm makes it tougher to move so you usr more energy. When warmer a 5mm is good. A 1 piece I find seems to let less water in. Not something good in a cold mountain stream. Over time I’ve come to realise a good custom made would be best. A good fit prob will keep you warmer. A well place zip to pee would be an idea, like across the front on a diagonal. And you’d need to consider whether you want an I build hood or a seperate hood. Again I reckon an inbuilt hood would allow less water in. Prob depends how snug it fits too. Too loose and the hood might twist about a bit under a mask. if you have a thinner suit you can always add a vest or the top of say a 7mm over the first suit. Finally, get some good gloves and socks. 5mm neoprene if possible. Seam welded not the sewn together ones as abrasion will wear out the stitching. A pair of those orange gloves they sell at blackwoods will get more life out of your gloves. Hope this helps.

3 Likes

I have a good wetsuits a 7mm 2 price. And a 5mm semi dry 2 piece that I prefer. Also have a dry suit. I wear overalls over top of my wetsuit to protect them. But the question I asked was what do people wear under there wetsuit.

Hi Laidlw

We used to wear a long sleeved poly prop top and poly prop type long johns. Tuck the bottoms into a pair of light socks, when putting the suit on. Makes it easier to put the suit on, plus stops chaffing. Also keeps you a bit warmer in cold water. End of day and washing up, slip out of wet suit and just wear the poly props. Keeps the flying critters at bay.

Cheers Trev

2 Likes

I only wore a pair of swimming togs - back in the day. Ironically enough two years ago l was given two brand new suits, one a 5mm and one a 7mm and dont dive for gold now. I also have a ‘new’ old Apollo suit but cant get into it!

2 Likes