Uncovering Family Artifacts ( Sifting History )

Click Here to View Video

I return to the Family Homesite this time to Sift through the dirt looking for Family artifacts. Filmed in the Fall of 2019 we uncover a Chauffeur’s pin that belonged to my Great Aunt Kathryn’s husband William Ernest Thrower.
The pin dates back to 1935-36 # 51927 from California. a little bit about William Thrower he was a World War I United States Army veteran having served from March 26 1917 to July 2 1919.
Sergeant William E. Thrower 81 Division 324 Infantry, Company K of the American Expeditionary Forces .
Buried in Golden Gate National Cemetery in San Bruno, Ca 1895-1965

2 Likes

Family history is fantastic - It would be exciting digging for artifacts relating to family and not knowing what you might find but as my family were hoarders, collectors, pillagers and plunderers they never discarded it so it is still with me - I have huge numbers (many hundreds) of family artifacts ranging from mid 19th century Becketts from one of my Great grandfathers ships through to WWI papers,medals and so on, coins, guns, a packet of ciggies and a packet of tobacco unopened which were sent back to family from France when my great uncle was killed 12th Oct 1917 etc I even have my grandfathers WWI Army jacket - worse for wear but sentimental.

A photo of my grandfather and the jacket I still have

6 Likes

Cool pic lammerlaw saving history is what we do.heres to many more savings

2 Likes

Yes I agree entirely…love finding history and restoring and either passing it on or keeping it for future generations.

1 Like

very cool Jacket and story !!!

I don’t care what you say there lammerlaw, but your grand daddy got the last of the good looks. you are like me run out before our time . mind you they were still handing out the big…bugger forgotten what the big thing was. I must have missed out on the brain as well . never mind got the head for it to go in. stay safe there old buddy.

Yep he was an ok looker - I was partially raised by him. Shot my first rifle with him and dad aged 4. He was a great shot. Was the big thing you forgot a Pork Sausage? When it comes to brains I always thought I could have got a leading role in ‘The Walking Dead’

You stay safe to buddy. I had a discussion with my old man today re the legalities of going for a casual walk with your rifle - well you are alllowed to go walkies down through the paddocks - if you take your rifle on a walk then the question is “Are you going hunting?” - I say NO and he said as far as the Gestapo and court are concerned the answer is YES. Now I am in a dilemma.

sorry to inform you but I already have the part of walking dead. I m pretty sure now you mention it , it was a porky sausage.
as for the hunting I think if you are on you own property you would be ok . is it ok for me to go for a walk and hunting with my camera? the problem is that it was all brought on to quickly and they didn’t have time to work it all out. but on the other hand they also dragged the chain with closing the boarders.
I got the groceries in town yesterday on the way home there was a dude running down the road , half way between granity and waimangaroa . that’s a good 6km from anywhere. I think that’s pushing it a bit.

Well I guess hunting with your camera is out as well - interesting thought that. The rules were ill conceived and yes your right - they were brought out too quickly. As soon as I heard about that virus in China I thought NZ should close the borders - give K1W1s two weeks to get home and even then only to the one airport, Auckland, then from the tarmac straight into a specially prepared bus and straight into quarantine for four weeks (I had heard that the bug can take up to 42 days to incubate) and at the same time all foreigners here given two weeks to leave, other wise become honourary New Zealanders for the duration. They should have worked it out faster but big business and money rule the roost here and dictate what the politicians do. Fine day here and I might go for a walk.

1 Like