Ukrainian farmer bomb detectorist

Hanna Plikhtchynska,67. One of the few farmers staying behind in Mykoliav region.Ukraine :ukraine:. Checks her fields daily for UXO.
Photos @jnowickiphoto .

1 Like

Could be lucrative in other ways judging by the amazing amount of Ancient World artifacts found all over Europe and vicinity.

Yes …makes you think we are very luck indeed to live in this part of the world!!.. there’s no way I’d go to war with Russia if my missus looked like that…lol!

Oh l dont know…she might have looked real good when she was young…and she might have been a rootaholic…the village mattress.

She still might be. Looks like a good match for you Mr Lammerlaw. :joy: At least she is into a bit of detecting.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Does anybody have any ideas as to the type of detector she is using?

VLF but no idea of make or model. Doesn’t look like a minelab.

On another note. I believe the name minelab is short for Mine Laboratory. Making detectors for finding land mines in war torn countries. Maybe in her situation a minelab would be the better choice. The Minelab SDC 2300, although we know it as a pulse induction gold detector, the folding body style & telescopic shaft & heavyish solid construction is actually the body housing of a military design land mine/bomb detector. Ergonomically it sucks as a gold detector, probably sucked too for its original use too. Heavy, out of balance for all day swinging, but solidly built & waterproof unlike the GPX 6000.

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks for that mate :cowboy_hat_face: my entry level detector was an sd2200! I accidentally won it in the gold panning competition in Australia. By fluke I drunkenly brought a bag of pay dirt to pan a few flakes for fun in a raffle…waited for the rush to finish and brought the last ticket, grabbed the last remaining bag of pay dirt. I did not expect to lug around Victoria the main prize. Or require something akin to a ham radio licence to use it. Thankfully Don Lind from Ophir showed me the ropes for which I will forever be grateful.

4min YT clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCH6U6IzH2Y
Shows the machine is a
https://tylosintylan.com/products/metal-detector-pirate-active-search-up-to-2-5-meters-li-ion-battery-2-coils

I love how she tests if it’s a Codys can or a UXO

2 Likes

My hat off to her and her folk.
I broke my metal detetcting with a garrett 400, so good!

1 Like

Hi Sean. Accidently you say. Ha ha. Good for you mate. Well done.

So… you knew Don from Ophir. Then you may be aware of an 8 ouncer he found there? RIP Don.

1 Like

I relic hunt with sdc2300 now and its great, found a half sov, gold rings and lots of military stuff deep down in public “hunted out” areas… also found ordinance from 1860s and ww1 era, its pretty much found everything… Decent detector id say :laughing:

As long as you are happy with it & it floats your boat that is all that matters.
It is a known fact that the SDC 2300, as a gold detector, was made for highly mineralised ground & the settings internally set with no ability from the operator to fiddle & tweak settings unlike like the GP & GPX line of detectors up to the 5000. With our ground being very mild the 2300 didn’t do as well as other detectors I have that I could crank right up to full max sensitivity & run the high end settings that the 2300 didn’t give me the option of. In the conditions the 2300 was made for it does sound a great detector.

1 Like