Tv1 sunday program

has anyone seen ad for tv1’s sunday program about gold in nz screening tomorrow night. i havent seen anything but told by a guy at work theres something on

I hope no attention seekers have agreed to be interviewed so that the media can either 1) villianize hobby gold seekers as despoilers of the environment or 2) make gold fossicking out to be the best thing since pavlova and thus encourage more and more people to get interested.
I remember back in the 80s the media wanted to do a documentary on us and our exact words were ‘No story from us’ and we refused.
. Back then there were eight of us involved. Today only three of us are still alive…and l am retired and the other two as well.
I do not know of this program but if there is a program on tomorrow then l look forward to it as it will give me a chance to perve at the goggle box and probably yell at it and scare the neighbours shitless!

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFAskt2Ag3s/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

If you don’t want to try the link go to tv1 Sunday Instagram page and there’s photos and a clip of a few miners on tonight’s show. Make up your own mind whether this is a positive or a negative.

2 Likes

I used to think the same thing , same with hunting , less people that know about it the better however in light of recent time’s I now think it’s not such a bad thing getting more people interested in gold fossicking or hunting / fishing , obviously I’m not talking about sharing your favourite spots but without numbers where screwed so all the hype , gold shows & interest in gold if anything should help us out a bit hopefully .

I do agree that we need positive representation and support from the public at large. Its like the gun issue - a denial of YOUR RIGHTS and those idiots who dont support us are in fact shitting in their own nest because the next attack could be THEIR interests BUT I hope this program is positive - shows it as a healthy non environmentally harmful hobby or occupation.
I agree with showing hunting, fishing and gold fossicking as healthy, family orientated pursuits.

2 Likes

Yeah dont worry about that you know why ;)…because is way harder then it Looks people think ah ok thats easy quick gold…yeah nahh Not :grin: is still hard Work and Mandy people give Up on the way :)…thats how it is i mostly Share my Spots because it Takes Lot of hard labour to get it and when Someone done all the Work good in him and He Reserve what He find :)…is enough ground for everyone only have to Put the hours in … :)…2.6 g for my weekend but hard earned !!!..Good Luck to All :grin:!!

1 Like

i bet DOC and the greenies will be on to have a whinge. they wont want us digging holes in their riverbeds and stirring up the poor insects. wankers

4 Likes

Well I saw thew program and to be honest enjoyed it because it showed real, genuine, true blue Kiwis doing what is THEIR RIGHT to do in THEIR OWN COUNTRY.
I can only wish them the best of luck and hope they make a mint. The guy with the detector seemed a decent chap and the guy with the jet boat has taken the plunge and set himself up with a good system - all the better that it is homemade - and I can only wish him the best of luck…homemade - who the fuck needs to spend money on so called professionally made gear.
The big operator - well he sure cant compete with foreign owned Macraes and I am sure tha the will have the land back to what it was better than Macraes ever could. At Macraes the magnificent rock outcrops and landscape can NEVER be the same but the fellow excavations of the fellow on the TV program will be unrecognizable in a few short decades.

3 Likes

This will get all north islanders down here now at least they said on TV 1 fossicking areas

cant say i was that impressed with the story. i hoped it was going to be a bit controversial like saying how costly claims are. how the country is being raped by big corporations. what was shown certainly wont get politicians to take any notice and nows the perfect time for a bit of stirring with it being their baby kissing season.

1 Like

The story was about ordinary New Zealanders and the resurgence of interest brought about by high gold prices. it was not meant to show big corporations. I see your point and agree that there should be a program showing good honest Kiwis getting themselves a little gold and doing no damage to the environment compared with the big corporations pillaging OUR gold and sending it off shore while destroying our landscape. There is certainly a place for such a documentary but that was not the aim of this one.
I do not agree with the fact that it inferred that everyone is going to be rushing out to get gold as there will hardly be a ripple on the water - its all bullshit and hype. Those who do rush out will soon be disillusioned and crawl back into their little holes again.

4 Likes

For anyone that missed it on TV, you can watch it OnDemand…

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/shows/sunday/episodes/s2020-e28