Tairua River Coromandle

Hows it going everyone! So as you can see, I’m a complete newbie. Have only really gotten into the hobby about a week ago. I’m really keen to branch out and meet some new faces that are like minded and enjoy a day on the creek! Based in Auckland but love venturing away whenever the chance.

So over the weekend my friend and I went for our first gold hunt. We walked pretty far up the Tairua River, thick dence bush wacking most of it. We found a bit of bedrock, and alot of undercut erosion.

I found one spec of gold. Deffinatly not worth posting about, but really gave me hope. I had seen it was very unlikely to find gold in the Tairua River, but somehow a spec…
Definatly nothing to write home about but got me thinking…

Walking back to the car we bumped into a local hunter who told us we were in the wrong creek, and Fortunatly was kind enough to share some of his knowlege. We spent about 10 hours trekking all for 1 spec and a few rocks.

I’ve been pretty observant on this forum after the weekend researching spots around the coromandle. There are deffinatly alot of knowledgeable people sharing valuable tips and insights. I just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone for sharing some of their experiences! (Including the people outside of coromandle) I feel that reading this forum is highly educational and has me on the right track to an incredible hobby!

Here’s a photo of the rocks I managed to find up the Tairua.

Look forward to reading future posts!
Keep it up Legends!
Cheers,
Keegan

10 Likes

One of the rocks I found after polishing it up.
I notice there are specks of silver looking metal in the rock. Can anyone tell me what sort of rock this is? Or if its possible to have any silver in it?
Thanks very much!

1 Like

Jasper rock & most likely pyrite specks.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thanks JW, very knowledgeable on your rocks.
How about this specimen I found in the tararu creek. Also managed to find some gold but just a very small amount! A lovely place to get out anyways!

1 Like

Hi, Jasper comes in green as well as red. We get quite a bit of green Jasper here in Hawkes Bay. Also copper appears very green but your pic looks very much like green Jasper with a band of red Jasper. JoeP

1 Like

Thanks mate. I belive your right with green jasper!

Must be quite rare around my parts as I’ve never come across it before. Hoping it will polish up nicely!

Hi Keegan. I live in the coromandel.
Just seen your post on the rocks you found.
Yes indeed…Silver and gold was found in 2 mines at Broken hills in hikuai. Hence…Tairua river…
Pretty neat place.
Just went over to Tararu last week.
Beautiful area. Rich in gold back in the day.
I’m yet to get back over up to the other stamper site.
There were chip.trucks putting metal down.
Regards.

1 Like

Hey Doon! Great to hear! I’ve only had great days on that creek regardless on what was salvaged!
Found a few interesting things myself, and quite a bit of mercury! Would love to come up the creek with you sometime if your seeking some company on your adventures!
Cheers!

1 Like

Cool man. I just got back from Wentworth valley.
Gotta hook up for a mission :call_me_hand:

1 Like

What is the ‘right’ creek to go up at broken hills? Off the Tairua for some panning? A tributary?

1 Like

3rd or 4th branch @Doon ?

Hi Harold. DOC are busy at broken hills cutting tracks etc.
It would pay to stay away for awhile
Regards