Still prowling with Number8wire

I’m headin out the sarvo to look for one of those. Yeha

1 Like

cool rings andrew nice one

1 Like

yeah very nice finds indead,well done.

awesome ring! Bet you’re excited about that ring! I love the photo of the penny on the dirt. Hopefully I can get out soon and do some detecting!

1 Like

Thanks LK, didn’t expect a ring to pop out. Thought it was probably a piece of deep ish trash as the signal was scratchy and the numbers were all over the show.
Yeah, for a 153 year old penny…she’s beauty. Great texture and patina…very worn but otherwise in super condition

1 Like

The following results are from an epic weekend roadie to Dunedin with Erickd.
Thank you Tony (Tonznz) and family for looking after us and sharing some of that amazing southern hospitality…always a pleasure to stay with you guys.
Great also to catch with you again Iggy, and for spending a Sunday morning with us at some of your local spots…much appreciated me old mate!

Ended the weekend with 18 silvers and some other really cool relics. My star find of the weekend has to be the decorative wee silver locket, fully hallmarked and dated 1840 or possibly 1844. Managed to gently pry it open without damaging the fragile hinge but nothing inside.
Also a highly decorated thin strip of silver, possibly from around the top of a walking cane, and a small piece of silver chain.
Two trade tokens…1857 and 1859 together in the same hole, a Navy League badge, and a couple of vintage buttons. Also a huge pile of pennies and other modern coinage. The oldest penny being 1866.
All in all a full-on, fun weekend with some great mates and some great finds.

5 Likes

good stuff andrew,great amount of coins good to here tony is still going strong.

1 Like

cool finds Andrew,love all that silver,nice locket as well.the trade tokens are unique and rare as I,d think,well done.

1 Like

Hi all,
Found this Returned Soldiers Association badge on the banks of the Avon River a week or so back. It belonged to a Private Walter Andrews from Sydenham, Christchurch. He was a heavy truck driver during WW1 and saw action in Egypt. He was with the NZEF, 11th Reinforcements, K Company. He died in July 1983.
I tracked all this down via his service number using the Cenotaph Online site linked to Auckland war memorial records. No family contact details available and no burial records available, so kind of stuck at that for now.
Have left a message on Cenotaph just in case a family member checks in next ANZAC Day to place a virtual poppy beside his name…as I will do.
Fingers crossed…would love to be able to return it to his family.

GL & HH

1 Like

Nice find Andrew, are the badges normally silver or is that a special one.

1 Like

Hi Shane, normally silver. This one is huge compared to the WW2 ones I have found

4 Likes

Man thats a real beauty and a monster at that! What a Find.
Good luck with reuniting it with the family.

1 Like

nice one andrew,cool find good to here from you again

1 Like

Cheers Roy, will try to post more often me old mate…been quite remiss of late!

1 Like

Hi all, Scored this cool old .925 Victorian brooch from last night’s hunt with Erickd. I believe the small stones are Rhinestones. Also dug a nice Beaths and Co token but that’s soaking in oil at the mo.
GL & HH

5 Likes

You have got to be happy with that score :ok_hand: Very nice indeed

1 Like

very nice andrew a rare piece of ozzie victorian silver

2 Likes

Thanks Roy. What makes you say it’s Ozzie silver?

A.U.S on the brooch also standard silver is the old hallmark for ozzie silver .only seen it over here.

2 Likes

Very pretty, I wonder what those tinted strips are on each side?
They look great, give it that real pop, along with the incredible detail that is still preserved!

1 Like