Still prowling with Number8wire

Thanks Shady S. Yep, the penny token is definitely the most commonly found token down here too. I now have 8 of them. Still haven’t found the much rarer H.J. Hall 1/2 penny token though. I know of only two of those being found in Chch.
On my bucket list for sure!

Nice Tazzy badge.
Funny how the weird things you find become the most valuable, the toothbrush is very cool & unique.

1 Like

Yeah, had absolutely no idea what it was until I got it home and cleaned it up. All I knew at the time of digging was that it was metallic and has a pattern on the top.

I have a Half penny one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, and so does Chrispy…still waiting for mine…sound familiar?..lol

1 Like

gday andrew nice finds still finding lots in ch ch oh yes i got two in the same hunt from THE SQUARE but nothing since in ch ch.

1 Like

Awesome day last Sunday for a hunt out on Banks Peninsula with Erickd. Started out with gaining a permission on an old paddock that looked promising. Found out after the fact, that it was a 1940’s camping ground, hence a good number of pennies and small silvers to be found. Also from the same field and completely unexpected…a nice old Australian trade token. Haven’t researched it yet but appears to be an iron monger from Geelong, Australia…think the name is Parker. research shows the token to have been minted by Heaton and Co. circa 1857…cool!
Also visited a neat old church and took some cool pics…no detecting here tho.
All on all, a fun day out in the whops.

3 Likes

Here’s the cleanup from Sundays hunt with Kevin.
Three silvers, a nice silver “Leo” pendant, a couple of pennies and halves and the usual ones/twos and spendies…BUT…best of all and my find of the day…an NZ Volunteers button in great condition…absolutely stoked with it. I’ve dug two in the past but both were squashed and munted. Great to have a complete, undamaged one for the collection. Made by Hallenstein Brothers!..never knew they produced Military buttons.
Never ceases to amaze me what can be learnt about the history of our awesome little nation from something as simple as a brass button…wow…just wow!!!

4 Likes

Hi all. Dug this awesome sliver and gold fob medal on Saturday. Fully hamarked with an amazing old inscription on the back. The small bit of research so far has dead ended. Can’t find a reference to an Ironmongers relay in 1911 on Papers Past and TB & Co brings up a blank too, although this could be abbreviated for Thomson, Bridger and Co who were ironmongers based in Dunedin and Invercargill. All I can tell for sure so far is that the medal was assayed in Birmingham with a date letter for 1908.
The makers initials H.B. are probably Henry Bourne, a Birmingham manufacturer about the right time. More research needed. Watch this space.

GL & HH

3 Likes

What a beauty! It cleaned up pretty well too, man you must have been fizzing when you pulled that from the ground. :ok_hand:

1 Like

Still smiling from ear to ear mate. It was in a part of Hagley that is considered to be well hunted too.

2 Likes

Nice finds Andrew. Happy hunting out there.

1 Like

Hi Andrew,great find there,plenty to find for the careful hunter,well done.

1 Like

nice one andrew fine piece

1 Like

Last night’s finds…not many but really, who cares when you’ve got a little gold, diamond and sapphire…:blush::blush::blush:…WOOOHOOOO!!!

Here’s a pic of the ring I dug last night (right) and a ring from around two years ago. Quite similar really…both diamonds and sapphires on 18ct

4 Likes

Neat finds you guys are hauling out

1 Like

You will be stoked with those.

1 Like

Absolute stunners !!

1 Like

You little ripper! Wow those rings are outstanding

2 Likes

We’ll done mate nice find

1 Like