Somewhere to use my highbanker / small suction dredge

nice one man sounds good to me i am super keen to get in there with my highbanker and do some buisness with you … and yes i eventually will get a 4" my details are as follows man…postal is 11 crows nest rd arthurs point queenstown … e.mail is dannoqcpilot@gmail.com …name is daniel uncles…phone number is 0223121475…thank you heaps man super keen best regards dan

Email sent to you danno

1 Like

I saw the comments made by Pritch and for the type of country some of us worked he is so right - a 2 inch dredge is hardly any better than nothing so I agree with him and I even shelved our two three inch dredges many years ago. I am retired now but we always used 6 inch dredges and in fact I still own what would be one of NZs first ones - made in the very early 1960s by my uncle.
Now as for the 2 inch dredge I do think it has fine applications where there are few big boulders and large rocks and where there is a lot of fine flood gravel. It is where that fine flood gold lies all mixed up with gravel that a 2 inch dredge could well come into its own.

2 Likes

thanks pirch i will check it out and get back to you too good man

i use my 2 inch for really getting into those narrow deep cracks where the 6 simply wont fit. I call both dredges papa smurf and baby smurf.

3 Likes

yea nice one dave thats why i wanted to talk to you because now i dont just have highbanker i also have 2"dredge and as i said my health is good i dont suffer from instant help from bad health i just get tired if i over do it thats all so i dont want to miss out on a deal with you on your claim as the more doors that are open to me the better…

Yes that is a good application for it…shh dont tell anyone but l had never thought of it for that application but in some cracks it would be ideal.

1 Like

I suppose if I still had a 2" I would be looking for a small crack. now if it were 6 or 8" then it would have to be a different story.

2 Likes

That cracks me up! I have to admit that l prefer crevices that are big enough for 6 inches and more.

2 Likes

If you fellars have found a good crevice and the 2" not up to the job try popping a blue tubo tab into the fuel tank, you will soon have the performance of a 6’’ and get the job done.

4 Likes

reading through the last post took awhile to get what the blue turbo was. good one there nn.
its all about the crack. if you plant something face down you then can use the crack as a bike stand. but it will depend on if you ride a road bike or a fat wheel mountain bike.
bloody hell it must be raining and I have nothing to do

2 Likes

Good advice nuggetned but its no use popping a blue turbo pill in the fuel tank when the fuel tank has run out of fuel.
You miserable shit Keith - you sent the rain over here and now I am house bound and no fuel in the tank for crevicing.
I get your point about the crack as being good for a bike stand but I thought the boil hole in the crack might be better for planting a flag pole…lets face it when you are dredging in a larger river the flag idea might prevent you getting sucked up a jet boats intake not that I am adverse to be sucked up!

4 Likes

Bloody hell, lets all hope the wet weather clears soon and we can all get outside and get some fresh air into our lungs and think about something else.

1 Like

i have to agree my friend

1 Like

have a new plan of running a second sluice juat below and at the end of the first sluice just to capture any lost gold from first box …i have noticed i get flat rocks falling through the grizzly bars and get stuck in the sluice so i keep the rubber flap tied up out of the way to prevent a build up of rocks under the flap …think i need to come up with some kind of screen on top of grizzly bars… anyone have any ideas???

Ah…I got it…You’re meaning crevices that will take 6 inches or more in length. :rofl:

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

Maybe try having a lighter or longer rubber flap. If its too heavy or short it can cause loading up of rocks under it.
You could also try adding more water so you can clear the material faster

1 Like

thanks pirch yea was thinking about more water and somehow finding thinner rubber matt cheers mate

Something like that - boredom at home gets the better of me.

More to the two inch dredge - in the Waipori River above Glendhu Forest boundary after the big floods of 1980 or 1981 I came across a spot where a 2 inch dredge would have been capital as the floods had blasted all the gravel out of a deep hole and in the fine gravel and pebbles at the end of the hole in a very short time one day I got 2 ounces of the finest gold I ever got in the Waipori.
I am sure that there would be some good gold there to this day on that claim as I sure didnt finish it. I am not sure but we allowed a few others access, one might have been Treeman, and I dont know where they worked nor what they got. I never asked for a percentage as the claims were cheap then and it didnt matter.
I had a lot of days for in excess of 2 ounces in the Waipori…happy memories.
I still preferred our six inch dredge though and when my nephew was killed I was actually planning a huge floating dredge but never finished it. I did use the pontoons for it plus my motor and the six inch dredge tied under it as a sort of jet boat to travel up the river.

1 Like

waipori…? 2 ounces…mmmm never finished it …tell me more lammerlaw do you still have that claim?? thats a cool storie fella hey sorry to hear about your nephew i know all to real the pain of loosing those we love do youb have any other claims…?