Silver Spoon? Anyone know what the hallmarks mean?

An unexpected find while detecting in a river while looking for gold…

Anyone know much about the hallmarks? Reads: CJ & Co S BP

DSC_0084-close

1 Like

Silver plated only and not Sterling silver if my guess is correct. These solid silver forks and spoons which I dragged out of a trailer going to the tip show proper hall marks which indicate that they are solid silver. The single letter is the date and place of manufacture, London etc, The head of the regent in these cases William IIII (IV) and early Victoria, A lion or leopard plus head.

The letters HB on some of the cutlery and HH are the makers.
The pioneer family history of the family who owned them is incredible- they owned Hawkesbury Manor and Merrivake Manor in Christchurch and can be read about on internet ‘Peacocks controversial Fountain’ - convicts, ship owners, ship wrecks and more.

This cutlery came originally from Merivale Manor

4 Likes

I think BP stands for British plate

1 Like

I was suspecting plate, but wasn’t sure as there was some minor scratches that showed silver colour underneath. Oh well, still an interesting find :slight_smile:

nice work lammerlaw, cant see that family having plated cutlery

1 Like

Christopher Johnson & Co. (later J. Marshall)
Western Works
Sheffield
Est. 1892

And, yes, plated unfortunately.

Cheers @Mudwiggle much appreciated

ah!!! the days when sheffield made most of the worlds cutlery.i remember as a kid the river that run in the industrial area used to run in three different colours per day depending on witch factory was disscharging

1 Like