Show us ya Gold!

I got colour ! . This time I decided to learn how to snipe or hand dredge with the mother sucker ,instantly i noticed the ribbed hose acting like a riffle and catching the fines so that’s getting swapped out once I find a decent clear hose . Ran bugger all material but definitely caught some flake like gold with the mother sucker .today I also learnt the snuffer bottle tricks to save panning the fine gold out . Really good day getting my head around a few things . Pan has lots of colour I just struggling with the black Sand .can’t wait to do a proper fossick bring on the holidays

6 Likes

ran a couple of classified buckets through the sluice the other night after work I was pleasantly surprised

6 Likes

Nice one mate, yeah goldsborough is the go we love the place whenever we are in the area we always go down for a few days and it never dissapoints, the trick there is to get to a spot no one has mined where the clay is near the surface, even though you may have a nice inside bend it has likely been mined before once we found a spot it was really avreage-poor looking spot but it turned out it had not been touched for years and pulled out dozens of pickers for the weekend, my advice is if you go up stream a bit the creek splits into two one that goes under the bridge one that the track follows off to the side, the one the track follows always has decent colour but it has been hammered all the way along and you always get decent gold but never GREAT gold, but if you go down and up the main creek under the bridge where not so many people have mined and get down to the clay layer you can strike it big time, one spot there we pulled out over 3 grams for less then 8 hours mining!

1 Like

Cheers mate I plan to head back over its an awesome spot an just to get colour whilst learning helps big time .I had an idea of parking up the top of goldsborough track an walking down to the top end of the fossicking area to try find that Virgin spot . Have you walked the track at all ? Il definitely take your advice iv watched alot of ya vids an found inspiration cheers dan

Thanks for the tip @kiwigold

9 Likes

Good going. So it wasn’t just a pleasant walk up a creek then where you could find a nice place, to sit down and eat your cut lunch.
My lips are sealed.

Cheers Trev aka “The Mad Hatter”

2 Likes

Haha. My turn. To join the club. Had a bit of mercury amalgam {Well a tiny bit) hanging around somewhere out in the garage. Finally found it today. So thought, right I will get my first gold for 2021. Retorted it off, to get just gold sponge. And then did a quick open air melt. Haven’t lost my skills acquired from my beach black sanding days. Although in those days I was dealing of course with ranges between three and five ounces weekly to process. Sponge weighed 0.62 gram. Melted to give me 0.58 gram. Had to do the melt with no flux, as that I couldn’t find. Still it was a bit of fun. And hey I got gold on New Years day.

9 Likes

what flux do you use as i have a small amount
i would like to melt

I have always used just plain borax, which you can get from the chemist. Did the job for me.

1 Like

Wee bit of gold I sluiced up at moonlight today.
Looks like there’s been a few people digging round up there as I seen a few good size holes in the river that looked reasonabley fresh.
The roads in good nick but still a bit bumpy

6 Likes

the roads always been an issue for me with just a 2wd car. thats a fine looking bit of gold you got there though. how many hours to get that

A day of sniping with a few inquisitive eels for company. Always a bit of a surprise when you’re snorkeling, look up and there’s an eel right in your face!

17 Likes

Yea it’s quite rocky isn’t it.
That big bit didn’t want to go up the snuffer nozzle. I classifyed 3 buckets and I think I was no more than 2 hours all up

2 Likes

Thats good going jabs !

1 Like

i was stalked by an eel last time i was at slab hut. the bugga wanted a go. everywhere i went in it followed me.

1 Like

Slabhut a couple of weeks ago.

5 Likes

Bloody hell Henry. You’re not supposed to dredge in the fossicking area :laughing:.
I spent a couple of hours there a few days ago & didn’t get a speck. You must have cleaned it out you bugger.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

It was shoulder to shoulder down at campsite so ended up a long way up the creek for a bit of peace and quiet, worked out alright best result so far on the coast…

1 Like

Hi Henry. That stands to reason. Bloody good result. Well done :+1: What you doing up the coast? You have better places to go :wink:
I wonder how many times those rocks have been moved & turned over outside the camp area at Slab Hut. It is a nice spot.

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

Yeah , l know of better places but last year we moved from Queenstown to Christchurch,so had to try out the closer public places .
Not a fan of Goldsboro , haven’t got a suitable vehicle for Moonlight , went up once in my Volvo V70 …need a bit more ground clearance.
No luck at lyall creek
It’s amazing how many people are digging out the same hole straight out from camp , knee deep, waist deep next time chest deep hope they get some color.

2 Likes