Show us ya Gold!

Yes crevice sucker is ok…always wanted a good crevice sucker…the closest l could find was a vacuum cleaner.

And I thought you were a crevice sucker…or is that, you like sucking crevices :joy:

JW :cowboy_hat_face:

Crevice sucker - no, not at all. Crevice suckers are suitably qualified members of the opposite sex! At least they are in my book.

Love the handle. An original Stanley Chisel Handle if I am not mistaken. A mate of mine made a “Snifter” out of an old grease gun years back. Was for use underwater when dredging. After I had cleaned out the bedrock, and cracks for the easy gold. He would drop back with his Grease Gun, and crack out the wedged bits of gold that I had left for him. Some days the ole grease gun, Would add a half ounce to our days take. Ahhh those were the days.

Cheers Trev aka “The Hatter”

1 Like

Yes indeed those were the days. Now you have me rushing out to the shed to see if I can find my Magnum snifter made quite late in the piece about 1984 to show it. Solid brass and too heavy to take far!
I only used it a couple of times and decided it was too heavy as was my four foot deep crevice seeker!

Yes I had heard of them being made from grease guns and they would have been ideal as well.

1 Like

Looking closer at my specie I think it may be the scull of an ancient

alien and its fossilized brain has turned to quartz…oooooww!
Or maybe I’m going into my annual winter gold withdrawls and I am losing my shizzz!!
Nope definitely alien scull…lol!

9 Likes

How much did it weigh in at? Looks awesome!

I thought it looked a bit like you Mal… :joy:

1 Like

Great story there kiwijw.

Oh it’s tiny… 0.4 grams!..yeah JW…looks like me before a coffee in the morning…lol!

2 Likes

It’s amazing what your setup detects, such tiny targets. Good stuff

Managed to get away for a wee winter detect… brrr it’s chilly in those gorges at this time of year!

First day was playing with the Equinox 800 but due to a lot of bedrock mineralisation sounding off I swapped to the SDC 2300 the next day. The SDC feels bloody heavy after swinging the Nox!

9 Likes

nice one gav good work and your dam right its cold at this time of year i have the gm 1000 but am thinking of getting the sdc 2300 along with my gm what are your thoughts man any advice would be much appreciated

Good for you Gav. Nice finds. :+1:

I went out myself the other day to a local QT spot for a late arvo detect. I hadn’t been out for a month with a couple of shit weather weekends & then went up north over another couple of weekends to visit friends & family.

I was using a 12 x 8 inch X coil on the GPZ 7000. Finally managed to get the 15" Concentric coil off the Zed & give this smaller coil a spin. Detecting an area I have done time & time again over the years with all my detectors & coil combos until things dried up. I hadn’t used this coil there & I was blown away to find anything at all, let alone 8 pieces. I didn’t take my phone with me so sorry no pics from out in the field. They were all down in the schist bedrock. Biggest was .45 of a gram & the 4 bottom small ones were between .05 & .08 of a gram. That is gold monster type gold.

Cheers

Good luck out there

4 Likes

My general thoughts are:

SDC - I love that I can fold it away, but it is a lot heavier to swing. Also cuts through 99% of mineralisation. Not so much fun in high trash areas as you need to dig it all… yes yes, I know I should be digging it all anyway… but when you’re getting fatigued at the end of the day…

Nox 800 - I love it as it’s so light and also versatile. I’d prefer it for trashy gold areas as I imagine I could use the target numbers to walk past some targets if I want, but I haven’t put that to the test yet. Seems better at handling mineralisation than my old Gold Bug Pro. A lot more fun to swing all day as it’s so light. Can pick up smaller gold than the SDC if the ground is quiet.

GM - Had a brief play with one once and found some small gold, but I found it a bit chatty… might just have been my inexperience. Figured the Nox 800 could probably do everything the GM could do and more so that’s why I treated myself to the new toy this year.

Also depends on where your using your machine, chatting with @kiwijw I discovered the ground down Otago seems a lot quieter than some of the bedrock I encounter on the west coast. With the Nox he can happily run it in gold mode 1 but for me I tend to have to go to the less sensitive gold mode 2. Otago rotten schist seems to be a bit quieter than the more solid west coast bedrock I’m encountering in streams.

3 Likes

I had a couple of hours spare ,all tiny gold and under bedrock ! i had a hour of confusion then started popping the rock open with Me shovel after seeing the hairline seam .

And nearly lost it when I recklessly dropped it into my centre console lol .gold monster on full sensitivity.

4 Likes

Gold Monster Rulz! Marvellous devices.

2 Likes

Yes the Gold Monster is deadly on that tiny stuff in and among the bedrock. As long as it isn’t too deep it will vacuum it up all day long. It is amazing how the gold gets down into the bedrock. Many times It just seems to be within the bedrock itself with no tell tail crack, fracture or crevice that let it get in there. But once smashed out is totally smooth & water worn. Many I have found aren’t even anywhere near a creek or river. Crazy.

I now have a battery powered chisel bit impact drill to deal with those situations. Lot quicker than a cold chisel & hammer or destroying my pick trying to smash it out. Note the Gold monster in the back ground for any tiny bits that may be present, & they usually are.

My initial thought was that the gold was in that crack, but it wasn’t. I had to go back a later time with the hammer drill as I didn’t have it with me the day I got that signal. Not the type of tool I carry in my back pack on a regular basis :laughing:

The result of the above effort

Cheers & good luck out there

11 Likes

thanks gav appreciate your thoughts an knowledge along with others who have given there thoughts thanks

1 Like

Hi Gavin, Aren’t you able to run the 2300 flat out in full sensitivity? I find the balance of the 2300 horrible. Not a nice detector to swing all day. I found my 4500 with NF Sadie coil was way better than the 2300 for gold finds too. Got lots of gold the 2300 didn’t even pick up on until dug down onto quite a bit. Having said that & bagging the 2300 it is a good set up for the Wet coast. Water proof & no battery cable to drive you nuts in the bush. :slightly_smiling_face: And good at knocking out that mineralisation & hot rocks. Hard to find the perfect detector…It doesn’t exist.

2 Likes